Page 5 of 124
Can't say I have. When I got bored of my Arsenal game I just started playing it like I was Athletic Bilbao. Sold all my foreign players, now rely heavily on my youth system and only buy English players (particularly ones from London or nearby). Not allowed to spend more than £5m on any one player. Wage cap of £100k per week. Made it more interesting.
Quote by durhamdynamo

Damn Celtic. Negotiating to sign Johnny Russell, I offer 2.5m. They ask for 5m, reply with 3m. They ask for 4m, I reply with 3.3m, they with 3.8m. So I offer 3.5m, thinking it would be accepted, now they want 7m.

FM logic
We'll give you 3.3m
No, we want 3.8m
How about 3.5m?
I JUST TOLD YOU, I WANT 7M.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Finally snapped and bought Shane Long and Jelle Vossen for a combined £16m. I panicked and overpaid.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by durhamdynamo
Finally snapped and bought Shane Long and Jelle Vossen for a combined £16m. I panicked and overpaid.

Quote by Trowzaa

I know, and I could have bought Joe Allen with that money too.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by durhamdynamo

What's the best role for Vossen? Managed to make him score 21 and assist like 15 as complete forward in my Dortmund. With Götze and Reus on the wings. So pretty decent trio there.

But what's his best role? Had him before?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
What's the best role for Vossen? Managed to make him score 21 and assist like 15 as complete forward in my Dortmund. With Götze and Reus on the wings. So pretty decent trio there.

But what's his best role? Had him before?

Never had him before. Playing him as a Defensive Forward (attack), and he's got 5 goals in 9 starts, with one assist. Averaging 7.02 from those as well. So he's not doing bad, considering I've had to play Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in the first 9 games.

What did you play Vossen as? I can only dream of signing Götze and Reus.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by durhamdynamo
Never had him before. Playing him as a Defensive Forward (attack), and he's got 5 goals in 9 starts, with one assist. Averaging 7.02 from those as well. So he's not doing bad, considering I've had to play Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs in the first 9 games.

What did you play Vossen as? I can only dream of signing Götze and Reus.

Complete forward as a lone striker

Like this:

Vossen

Götze Reus

Rest of the team is pretty decent too. Hummels, Subotic, Vrsaljko, Sigurdsson, Gundogan, Bender, Sidney Sam, ter Stegen,

Just beat Real Madrid with 2-1 at home in CL with my Cagliari.

This has gone quite quickly. Was predicted as 11th first season. Won.
Now I'm beating Madrid in CL.

lol
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 9, 2012,
I just stopped playing FM12 because I hit a bug that ruined my main save. I have a weird mail in my inbox from a scout and opening it causes my game to crash and I cant continue past it. I figure I can probably go for a holiday for a month or so so that the mail gets shunted from my inbox but I am at such a crucial point of the season and going on a holiday would wreck it. It really sucks.

I had a good run before then though:

2011-2014 AC Arles-Avignon (won Ligue 2 and finished runners up in the Coupe de Ligue in 2013, finished 6th in Ligue 1 in 2014)

2014- Vitesse (Won the Eredivisie in 2015 and the Dutch Super Cup)

2014- Brazil (Won the Copa America in 2015)
Started a game with Pescara now.

Verratti is pretty much my favourite player on the game so using him as the engine in a 4-2-3-1 tactic.

They got a few interesting gems in the squad. Capuano, Insigne, Verratti and Immobile. Don't know how good Insigne and Immobile will actually be and if they can perform in Serie A.

here's my possible eleven.

Pinsoglio
Zanon Materazzi Nastacic Capuano

V erratti Cascinone

Giacomelli Insigne Soddimi
Immobile

And got Lenny Nangis on the bench being a super-sub for Immobile.

He scored a hattrick in his debut and then another one against Betis in the opening friendlies.

Now I beat Empoli 5-1 with Materazzi scoring a hattrick via penalties. lol
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 14, 2012,
Update -

If you guys have any unanswered problems, PM me and I'll add them in to the problems section of the first post if I can't help you, also, anone else feel free to check there to see if you could help!

Still with West Hame, now coming in to the last 5 games of the season in 2027

After my numerous close calls, we finally won the premier league in 2025-2026! wewwwww
Always at expanse of the Champions League, got through to the Quarter Finals in 2027 (Next game is the 2nd leg of that) for the first time in around a decade. But I've also made the League Cup my thing too, winning it in 2025, 2026 and 2027

My Youth Academy has, however gone to absolute shit, the players we bring in for the youth squad without my help sending off scouts, are 3* potential tops. Regardless of game time, had one 4* player in the last 5 seasons.

Quote by Trowzaa
Aye, absolutely demolished the Championship, won League Cup against Man City in the final, 4-1. Somehow. I still don't understand. Next season in the Premiership I won about 3 and ended up 19th Then everyone left me. I had an amazing defender as well but I can't remember his name. I swear it was like Spence or something but apparently not

Jordan Spence? At West Ham at the start?

Unbelievable tackles per game ratio that boy

Quote by genghisgandhi
How often do 4.5 star potential players come along? In two years of managing West Ham in the EPL I've gotten three of them, and that doesn't seem very likely.

How well are you doing in the Premier League, the ability all depends on the team e.g. If a player would be a 2* ability for Manchest United, they'd probably be a 4.5* or 5* player for Millwall. In my first year with West Ham I had like four 4.5* players, but as soon as we were promoted they went down to like 3*. Same with when we started getting European football, everyone's ability dropped.

Edit: Word of advice, buy Vladimir Weiss if you use an AMR, you will not regret it, ever.

Same as a player could have 2* potential when scouted from a African Champions league club, but with the standard of play in the EPL or Liga BBVA it may turn out that they're a 4.5* player. Like if Messi only ever played for Newell's Old Boys, he wouldn't be considered anywhere near a 4.5* player.

It's called reversible potential or something like that. I can't get on to the link for the article for it because I'm in work and the NHS don't like you going on anything that'll rot your minds, don't know how they haven't found UG yet.

For example, I payed £14m for a 22 year old striker from a relegation battling Brazilian team, I got bollocked by the fans for my waste of money 2* signing for that much money. Turns out he was actually 4.5* and he's got (I think) 329 goals in 367 appearances for West Ham. He's 33 now and barely plays

Apologies for waffling.
Last edited by alyxmelia at Aug 20, 2012,
^

I've noticed that getting regens is hell. I haven't gotten a single great one during my 5 years at Dortmund, 5 years at Barcelona 4 years at Napoli etc.

Just not happening. I have to buy young regens and develop them myself. It's just annoying.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
^

I've noticed that getting regens is hell. I haven't gotten a single great one during my 5 years at Dortmund, 5 years at Barcelona 4 years at Napoli etc.

Just not happening. I have to buy young regens and develop them myself. It's just annoying.

West Ham's youth system is top notch (Jack Collison, Freddie Sears, Rio and Anton Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Paul Ince, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, etc)

So for the first decade, I could be getting 3 or 4 players with 4* potential, and no I've had just 1 in the last 5 years. I'm a massive fan of youth, I think my average age for the first team is around 23, so it's really frustrating.

Use this page if you already haven't - http://www.aidtheboss.com/football-manager-2012-regen-dates/ - Saw it earlier in the thread can't remember who posted it though. It's good to use, as long as you have the scouts. I've got 17 scouts :')
Quote by alyxmelia
West Ham's youth system is top notch (Jack Collison, Freddie Sears, Rio and Anton Ferdinand, Michael Carrick, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Paul Ince, Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, etc)

So for the first decade, I could be getting 3 or 4 players with 4* potential, and no I've had just 1 in the last 5 years. I'm a massive fan of youth, I think my average age for the first team is around 23, so it's really frustrating.

Use this page if you already haven't - http://www.aidtheboss.com/football-manager-2012-regen-dates/ - Saw it earlier in the thread can't remember who posted it though. It's good to use, as long as you have the scouts. I've got 17 scouts :')

Yeah seen that page. But I want to be able to live off my own regens really. To get up great players by myself. It's boring to buy regens for like 5-15m euro when they are 15-16.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Yeah seen that page. But I want to be able to live off my own regens really. To get up great players by myself. It's boring to buy regens for like 5-15m euro when they are 15-16.

It's kinda look stumbling upon them sometimes, I got a 17 year old, for £55. Fifty-Five Pounds flat, gave him a bit of first team experience when Scott Sinclair was feeling a bit lethargic. He's now my captain, and he's reached either Icon or Legend status, whichever one's higher. Right up there with Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst:')

It's annoying though, the only players to come through my actual youth system are - Juan Carlos Villaronga and Jose Radafison (Who's still a teenager anyway, so who knows if he'll last). The rest I've bought at like 16 for ****ing stupid prices.

EDIT: Just has a thought though, I got tookover about 3 seasons ago and survived it, and now I can afford to splash the cash a little more. So I don't really mind buy amazing 14 year olds for like £5m and putting them in to my youth team.
Last edited by alyxmelia at Aug 20, 2012,
Guys, starting a challenge tonight. Bounce around some ideas while I think about what would be most fun.

Perhaps getting Stoke to be the league's top scorers and qualifying for the Champions League?
Try a type where you can only buy players with the money you make from selling.

Quote by Trowzaa
Try a type where you can only buy players with the money you make from selling.

I'd be down with this.

Also it should be mandatory that Begovic is your #1 penalty taker.

Unless he is injured/not playing. Then it should be whoever your reserve goalie is.
Begovic needs to go to a better club. Be Sunderland or someone and sign him.

Make Bilbao CL winner.

That's a challenge. I know I started and was top 3 in the league after like 10 games. But I grew bored because the only time I can buy players/talents is when the new regens pops up, and then it's from like 3 clubs.
Quote by Death_switch
Guys, starting a challenge tonight. Bounce around some ideas while I think about what would be most fun.

Perhaps getting Stoke to be the league's top scorers and qualifying for the Champions League?

How about you can only buy players that are the same nationality as the club? Or if you want to go really silly, you have to rely solely on your youth team, or only buy under-19's or something.
Quote by raoooos
How about you can only buy players that are the same nationality as the club? Or if you want to go really silly, you have to rely solely on your youth team, or only buy under-19's or something.

Here's what I propose:

Play as Stoke
Only spend what you receive in transfer fees
Only buy players aged 19 or under

Aim:

Finish as PL top scorers and qualify for the Champions League

Whoever does it fastest wins

We could do that or Johnny's Bilbao challenge. His would probably take longer though
Oh, I thought you were just meaning a challenge for yourself. I'd be down for that though, bored of all my current FM saves atm. I still play FM10 though, can't remember who Stoke have signed since then...

...wait yes I can...

No Crouch
I'd rather play as Bilbao to be fair.

I can take up that challenge and can report in here. Gonna check out my save now and see how far I've got so far.

Munian hattrick away against Steau Bukarest.

5-1 win total.

Javi Martinez and Llorente are beasts

And I got 2 nice prospects that I'm playing regularly. My scouts both give them 4,5 stars in PA each. As high as Llorente, Munian and Martinez have.

Not bad.

So tired of FM 12 now. I genuinely hate this game at the same time as I love it.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 21, 2012,
this game can seriously go to hell.

the opponent has three ways of scoring.

1: corners, 90 % of their corners = goal
2: an absolute scorcher from ANY player possible on the field. He'll either shoot from half the field away or dribble past 7 before putting it in the goal as if he's Messi.
3: Penalty in the extra time.

The game is extremely bugged and faulty, even though I'm absolutely dominating a game some games WILL end up in a draw or a loss just because I'm playing a specific team.

I believe it's made-up and fixed a lot more than I used to. Everything happens over and over again more or less.

Won't be bothering with FM 12 anymore, might try 13 and see if it's better but I doubt it.

Extremely ****ing frustrating game.
See if you can screenshot Jiri Latal's stats: I'm curious to see how his stats measure up to a 4.5 star
Quote by BlackLuster
See if you can screenshot Jiri Latal's stats: I'm curious to see how his stats measure up to a 4.5 star

Who?
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
this game can seriously go to hell.

the opponent has three ways of scoring.

1: corners, 90 % of their corners = goal
2: an absolute scorcher from ANY player possible on the field. He'll either shoot from half the field away or dribble past 7 before putting it in the goal as if he's Messi.
3: Penalty in the extra time.

The game is extremely bugged and faulty, even though I'm absolutely dominating a game some games WILL end up in a draw or a loss just because I'm playing a specific team.

I believe it's made-up and fixed a lot more than I used to. Everything happens over and over again more or less.

Won't be bothering with FM 12 anymore, might try 13 and see if it's better but I doubt it.

Extremely ****ing frustrating game.

Maybe its just the way your team plays? Because I almost never concede from corners. Make sure you have CB's who are really strong aerially and maybe focus on defending set pieces in match preparation? Also getting a better keeper might stop the screamers going in Luis Guilherme and David Ospina are both top class keepers who can be bought on the cheap.
Quote by thebaron1066
Maybe its just the way your team plays? Because I almost never concede from corners. Make sure you have CB's who are really strong aerially and maybe focus on defending set pieces in match preparation? Also getting a better keeper might stop the screamers going in Luis Guilherme and David Ospina are both top class keepers who can be bought on the cheap.

I'm playing as Juve. Got Verthongen and Astori + Buffon.

Not saying I'm conceding a lot. But corners is pretty much the only way the opponent scores on me.

And every team scores far too often on corner.

I had Mats Hummels score 21 goals in Bundesliga on my Dortmund save.

I think every single team scored between 10-18 goals last season in Serie A via corners.

I only conceded 20 in total as Juve but I will assume 10 of them were on corners.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
I'm playing as Juve. Got Verthongen and Astori + Buffon.

Not saying I'm conceding a lot. But corners is pretty much the only way the opponent scores on me.

And every team scores far too often on corner.

I had Mats Hummels score 21 goals in Bundesliga on my Dortmund save.

I think every single team scored between 10-18 goals last season in Serie A via corners.

I only conceded 20 in total as Juve but I will assume 10 of them were on corners.

Ah well then all you can do is set focus to high on defending set pieces and maybe set your best headers to mark tall players and the rest of your team to man marking on corners.

But it is weird that so many goals are scored off corners in your saves because corners have proved fairly difficult to score off for me!
Quote by thebaron1066
Ah well then all you can do is set focus to high on defending set pieces and maybe set your best headers to mark tall players and the rest of your team to man marking on corners.

But it is weird that so many goals are scored off corners in your saves because corners have proved fairly difficult to score off for me!

Yeah, I don't know. It's basically the only way for the opponets to score on me. Verthongen scored like 10 in serie a via corners. Realistic eh?

And Quagliarella became top goal scorer lol. >_>

Second season now with Juve. Verthongen got 10 goals in like 8 games in Serie A.

>_>

Condeded two goals so far in 14 games. 47 scored.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Aug 23, 2012,
Conded 8 goals in 27 games so far in Serie A with Juve.

Scored 81.
Started new Liverpool game.

Signed Joel Valencia, Daniele Rugani, Andile Jali, Yaya Sanogo and Sime Vrsaljko.

Gonna make them all starters.

Let's do this
Haven't heard of the 3 first ones and Darwin Quintero.
Sell someone. Like Carroll.
****ing Reina keeps getting turned off by my team talks. Dick.

And I'm up for a challenge. Swansea Champions League challenge might be fun.