RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Greetings fellow luthiers both young and old, to my second build thread!

This time, I will be taking a modern spin on an old classic: A neck-thru style SG shape.

As it is my first build for a customer, I shall spare no expense in documenting this formidable task, for I wish to inspire and amaze(and perhaps get another job or two out of this)!

And now, Luthiers and Luthiettes, the moment you have been waiting for:

SPECS

Body Shape: SG
Hardware Colour: Chrome

Neck
Construction: Neck-thru
Tuners: Grover Locking 2 x 3
Nut size/material: Graphtech
String Spacing: 42mm
#of frets: 24
Neck wood: 5 piece maple/purpleheart/maple/purpleheart/maple
Fretboard: striped ebony
Scale: 24 3/4
Radius: 12" - 16"
Headstock shape: Cane Custom
Headstock Veneer: Ebony
Bindings: Fretboard and headstock - White
Finish: Tru-oil

Body
Wood: Mahogany wings w/ Wenge accent
Contours: SG
Bridge: Schaller roller TOM
Tailpiece: Schaller Fine tune
Strap Buttons: Chrome
Finish: Tru-oil

Electronics
Pickup Config: 2 Humbucker
Bridge: Bill Lawrence
Neck: Bill Lawrence
Switch: 3 way
Controls: 2 Vol
Control Cavity Material: Mahogany
Knobs: Black Metal Cap

...Okay, no one was actually waiting for that. But now the moment that you have really all been waiting for!

PICS

Initial Mockup

Maple and Purpleheart

Gluing

Mock-up with wings
nowa90
Strike the Earth!
341 IQ
like the neck lams! What program did you use to make the mockup?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Progress!

Mahogany wings cut.

In order to account for the neck angle, Instead of trying to plane the neck down, I've decided to angle the wings of the body.

In order to keep the wings in place on the angle, I've inserted dowels into the wings...

...which fit into the core thusly.

I messed up on my original fingerboard, only allowing for 22 frets instead of 24 despite lining it up several times, so I had to go with another one.

The first one is still usable though, and will definitely go into another project.

The whole thing so far.

Next steps will be to route the channel for the pickup wires, and once it arrives, route out the truss rod channel.
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Thanks a lot guys!

Quote by n1ckn1ce
Do you think having it neck thru will help the balance problem of SGs?

I'm curious about this myself. I'm also keeping the body a bit thicker than the standard SG, so that should contribute to the balance as well.

About to rout the Truss rod slot

And after

Wiring slot.

Headstock angle cut and planed flush.

Neck thickness rough cut.

Fretboard bound!

More sexy binding.

I really like how the fretboard has turned out so far.

More updates soon!
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Thanks Guys!

It appears I am terrible at remembering to keep this updated, so I have a large amount of pictures.

I hope thats okay with everyone...

Neck rough cut.

Fretboard being glued. Enough clamps?

Result!

The headstock shape and binding.

Wings gluing up!

Wait... I making a guitar? Never really looks like one till this step.
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by RoyalT_996
so I have a large amount of pictures.

I hope thats okay with everyone...

It's always okay!

This looks great, reminds me of my Adam Black Apollo:

RoyalT_996
30 IQ
More work, Finally!

Headstock bound and gluing.

Glued on and shaped.

Starting the neck.

Work it.

What I'm trying to do with the heel.

Waiting on a new router bit to come in so I can get the pickups routed. Once those, the bridge posts and control cavity are done, I'll finish the heel and start beveling.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
361 IQ
Looks cool man. I am not sure the neck-thru aspect would affect the balance, unless the neck woods were more dense than the body woods.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Loki.Foxchild
30 IQ
regarding balance, one thing that I've heard a lot is that it's somewhat the fault of the placement of the top strap button. If you move it up a bit, it reduces the problem, if you put it into the top horn (a la stratocaster, and also Tony Iommi's SGs), it gets rid of it almost entirely. the other thing is the headstock weight. that being said, neck woods very often are harder than body woods, so that might do something as well.
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
361 IQ
The only thing I would say is that it might possibly put stress on the neck if you have the strap button on the headstock because of the weight of the body.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Loki.Foxchild
30 IQ
There are like a zillion thread btw on the "Everything SG" forum about balance problem fixes, btw.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Dammit, man. This build looks freaking great.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
yelemusic
10 IQ
Quote by RoyalT_996
Yeah, I'm not expecting any drastic change in the balance, but I will be placing the strap pin in the top horn instead of at the heel.

Just the fact that the body is thicker than on a normal SG should resolve this issue entirely. I've added some weights in the controll cavity of my SG, don't think it's more than maybe 300g, and now my SG is heavier and balances out much better. Thicker wood would most likely be heavy enough.
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Thanks guys!

Glued the headstock face and drilled and filed the truss rod access.

And then the pickups.

Recessing the tuning machines bushings.

The inner control cavity.

Cover rout.

Started the bevels on the front and back.

W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Do you find that building a neck-thru is easier or more difficult than building a bolt-on or set neck guitar?
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
I've found that they can each be as easy or as difficult as you make it for yourself. Perhaps a neck-thru can be more difficult in regards to creating the neck angle, and I've found that there is a fairly large amount of "waste" (though I rarely toss any cutoffs unless they're really small).

On the flip side, you don't have to worry about getting that perfect neck pocket.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Quote by RoyalT_996
I've found that they can each be as easy or as difficult as you make it for yourself. Perhaps a neck-thru can be more difficult in regards to creating the neck angle, and I've found that there is a fairly large amount of "waste" (though I rarely toss any cutoffs unless they're really small).

On the flip side, you don't have to worry about getting that perfect neck pocket.

I see. The waste thing is definitely something to consider. I hate wasting good wood.
RoyalT_996
30 IQ
Hmm, Turns out I'm really bad at keeping up with these...

Dry fit.

I had to change the tuners, the Gotohs that I got were hitting each other when tested them.
I'll need to make the headstock a touch bigger, maybe 1/16"-1/8" all around.

Headstock with Sperzels instead.

Stringing up test.

Strap pin on the headstock.

And some shots of the finish so far.

logicbdj
Tab Contributor
500 IQ
Make picks out of the waste... wood picks give unique tones (relative to the wood's hardness). I use Timber Tones a lot, and tend to go for them when playing acoustic, but also mellower jazz and blues stuff. They give a very organic sound.