I know it's not exactly guitar-related... but I've started this new blues/rock duo and I bought a Hohner Bullet harmonica mic for getting a distorted vocal sound in live performances. At our first gig we had to screw around for ages getting the mic to not feedback! I have the mic hooked up to a Boss DS-1 distortion (Tone down low and distortion right down) and a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor, and we plugged that into a couple of DIs so the dry signal could be sent through the foldbacks and the distorted/effects signal sent through the PA.
It worked beautifully, but I know this isn't going to work every time at every venue. Plus we had a good sound guy that one time.

Does anyone know a better way to make these mics sound distorted and cool, without getting that horrible feedback? I was thinking of running the mic through my 100watt solid-state spare amp that I have lying around, and mic'ing that up next time...
Quote by loop-de-luke
I know it's not exactly guitar-related... but I've started this new blues/rock duo and I bought a Hohner Bullet harmonica mic for getting a distorted vocal sound in live performances. At our first gig we had to screw around for ages getting the mic to not feedback! I have the mic hooked up to a Boss DS-1 distortion (Tone down low and distortion right down) and a Boss NS-2 noise suppressor, and we plugged that into a couple of DIs so the dry signal could be sent through the foldbacks and the distorted/effects signal sent through the PA.
It worked beautifully, but I know this isn't going to work every time at every venue. Plus we had a good sound guy that one time.

Does anyone know a better way to make these mics sound distorted and cool, without getting that horrible feedback? I was thinking of running the mic through my 100watt solid-state spare amp that I have lying around, and mic'ing that up next time...

there are vocal effects processors out there with tons of effects. you should be able to dial something crazy with one of them. it should have the appropriate routing and connectors to make monitoring convenient as well. boss, tc, roland, etc all put out vocal effects processors, check em out.

if you are planning on amplifying your voice, i'd recommend not using a guitar amp. it just doesn't do a very good job, and tends to feed back more than a PA. maybe some cheap powered monitors or an affordable-but-capable PA is needed.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
My friend had really good luck just going straight to an overdriven guitar amp (a Fender Blues Junior in his case).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Jack white has one built into his guitar on a retractable lead and his just runs straight through his amp,he shows it off on the film it might get loud, you could probably find a clip of it on youtube
Tc electronics has a single effect pedal for vocal distortion, from fuzzy to bullhorn style. It's actually pretty interesting to use.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
A local blues band here uses an old Squier amp that probably has speaker damage for vocals and just mics that up. They add a little reverb and it actually sounds perfect for that type of blues vocals.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
gumbilicious & Reincaster: Yeah I was gonna look into pedals designed for it, but wouldn't that do the same thing in the end? Cos all I need is distortion that doesn't feedback too much, but the Boss DS-1 is way too gainy even on 0... might have a look at some of the ones designed for vocals.

Would the problem lie in the fact that the mic is really open and absorbs lots of sound around it? I dunno, I just read that somewhere... I thought most mics were like that anyway though.

souperman08, harris.tom85 & tubetime86: I'll look at the Jack White vid, I never knew he used that! Sounds rad though... It's good to know some of you have seen people pull it off through an amp. The only reason I suggested it was cos that was how I first tried it, then decided it was too hard to mic up the amp for practices etc and my amp is a shitty Fender FM212r so is not very loud at all, also the soundguy suggested I do it that way next time...

What are some of the better but cheaper vocal effects pedals that will make my life with this mic easier? Would that eliminate all issues running through the PA? Because I don't wanna have to rely on bringing two amps to every gig for this thing haha
Yeah it would do the same thing, but the TC has more than just one sound, and you can use it with any microphone, doesn't haven't to be a Hi-Z mic. You also wouldn't need the DS-1, NS-2, and DI's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah, that's true! I'd much rather have just one pedal haha... I looked up some demos and reviews but lots of people said it's impossible to use live because it feedbacks lots... which is the initial problem I've been having. Wouldn't wanna fork out close to $200 for a pedal that might end up doing the same thing... unless all of those people were using the pedal on full distortion or something
The X1 Distortion/megaphone pedal? It's like, $119.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

&baconstrips: Hahah I actually did buy a megaphone once from ebay for like $30! A bit too gimmicky though for a local band... excellent song choice of Tom Waits though!

Reincaster: the cheapest I've found on ebay is $150 inc postage in Aus... plus I'm pretty strapped for cash at the moment, and I own way too many pedals as it is haha! It was mainly the reviews that put me off, cos people said it feedbacks too much in a live situation...