Page 3 of 11
I did awhile back, I'm not talking about the guts necessarily but the heads hell as well, never seen a silver one, and the normally don't have the Marshall style covering on the front panel
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I am probably getting rid of the Chadwick if anyone that posts here has an interest. sometime in the next two weeks I should have clips up of the rev jr.
Now that I think about it, the Chadwick I tried was wicked and as soon as I had the money to buy it, it had been sold mere hours before. Really a great sounding amp.

On an earlier note, the Krankenstein cab I picked up has seen it's first gig. After 5-6 hours/week for a few weeks the honk is gone, and bringing that thing into a big room just unleashed hell. Just ****ing thrilled with the purchase. Can't wait for our outdoor gig coming up to wreak sonic havoc.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Sweet man! I want me a krank cab. I am actually trying to get a jsx, so it seems as though you have my current dream rig lol
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sweet man! I want me a krank cab. I am actually trying to get a jsx, so it seems as though you have my current dream rig lol
Right on! I'll tell ya right now it sounds huge, maybe because it's ported? I've been initiating a mass selloff since I got this together due to lack of need for anything that doesn't sound like it.
that's what's up. I have heard the JSX can be a little too trebley, what's your experience with that? I am trying to decide between the JSX and a Carvin V3, I feel like the JSX has a much more powerful lead sound, but I like a very warm tone, so I am concerned about that. I really love the rhythm tone of the chadwick, so thick and punchy, but the lead leaves a lot to be desired.
It has such flexible eq that you can make it be too anything. I keep all eq knobs under 4 because I like the darker tones. Still powerful sounding like that; Amber gain 7, Red gain 4.
Good, I'm pretty set on that then. I just need to sell this amp.... Easier said than done
Whats the Krankenstein 50W JR like?
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Only just stumbled across this thread, I picked up a Rev Jr Std a few weeks ago for what I consider a bargain price, matched it with a 1x12 loaded with a Texas Heat and I couldn't be happier.
Sounds great for high gain thrash stuff and with a scooped EQ pedal in the loop it turns into a raging dirty beast.
This is my first all valve amp and I was a bit dubious to all those "SS amps are $hit" remarks but I have to say, the sound is much purer and nicer to my ear than any SS amp I've owned.
It records so easily, dunno why but I can't seem to get a bad sound onto my laptop lol.
I'm also impressed with how easily it accepts pedals, again, I'm not sure if it's down to being a valve amp or what.
Clean is basic and just about useable but I don't go down that road often anyway
Maybe I'll post some gut shots of the krankenstein plus tomorrow.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Hey guys, I never showed the boxed up Krank Distortus Maximus my dad made!

Sweet dude!

To the question about the krankenstein jr. I have never played one, but as far as I know they are fire breathing monsters, more distortion than the rev, and a decent clean.
Had a few e-mails with Catero and he's confirmed that the new Krank Jr. Combos are available for purchase. Should be on the web store in a few days. Not sure the price for the Krankenstein Jr. Combos but I do have the pricing for the Nineteen80 and Rev versions. $799 for 20W version and $899 for the 50W version.

(Goes for both Rev and Nineteen8).

Trying to figure out which one I want. May go with he Rev+ combo but the Nineteen80 still intrigues me.

...and for any of you in North Carolina or the triad, there is a Rev Jr 20W head on Craigslist for 250.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
That's mine I am trying to build up funds to get a good cab, and unfortunately I like that is one of the few things I own that I don't really need. That and the dean.

Good news on the combos, they could be really great to just grab and go.
Nice to see I'm not the only Krank addict in NC. I have my Krankenstein on CL trying to raise some funds for one of the Jr. combos. Either going to get a Rev+ or Nineteen80.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Hey man, in case you read this before you get the e-mail, I sent you an email
Krank has now finally released their Jr. Combo line. Kind of wish I'd have jumped on Catero's previous pricing he sent me. Now they seem to be higher on the website.

As for my Krankenstein, think I'm just going to hold on to it until I can get a Rev+. I can say that I finally got a cab to play it through! Yay me...

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Nice to see some Krank respect at last

I've had my Rev series 1 for 6 years now and its never let me down and sounds killer

Runs with JJ's (6L6GC/ECC83-S)

Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
I currently running a blackstar ht5, but need to get a lil more volume out, and i've recently just been offered a 50 watt rev junior full stack for £400. I've read alot of good things about these amps, (especially on here lol) and also my where i get lessons the guy who owns the shop (used to be in a big heavy heavy band back in the 90s swears by them. just wondering if you think i should jump on this opportunity. i just wanna know, are they capable of getting a more classic crunch sound? I normally play old metallica/machine head and slipknot style stuff but im about to have a first practice with a band (hence the volume increase) and they are covering even flow by pearl jam. reckon it can pop out that kind of sound as well as the punch in the face metal?
Just remembered its the 20watter and stack for 400 notes, not the 50, how will that hold out against a full band?
That's awesome Paul! I was gonna snag tha cab, but I found an awesome deal on a carvin cab, so I grabbed that instead. Looks good, bet it sounds heavy!

Edit: locust, I would say that they can probably hang if you are miced, but I would still think that for the purpose of hearing yourself, it might be better if you got a larger cab to disperse the sound better. It won't make you louder, but it can make a huge difference when you on stage and at practice when you can spread your sound over a larger area, I hate relying on the stage monitors to hear myself. 400 ain't bad for the full stack though, I'd do it.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Oct 19, 2012,
Quote by dementiacaptain
That's awesome Paul! I was gonna snag tha cab, but I found an awesome deal on a carvin cab, so I grabbed that instead. Looks good, bet it sounds heavy!

Yeah I'm happy I was able to get the cab. Really need to get a guitar first but the guy told me I could get it for $250 so I just had to take the deal.

Not even a scratch on it, and sounds full of bite.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I'm contemplating upgrading the tubes in my Rev Jr Std, I believe it's fitted with 2 x Sovtek 5881/6L6 power tubes and 6 x (not sure what brand) 12AX7 pre amp tubes.
What would be a decent choice for a good balanced high gain sound? Is a re-tube going to make that much difference to the sound?
The more I play this amp the more I love it, just wondering if I can improve the sound any further to be honest
I haven't retuned mine yet as I got it second hand, but I can say based on my experience the amp could do good with JJs, just to tame a little of the fizz. A typical 12AX7 would be fine but an ECC803 in V1 could really help be beneficial. As far as power tubes, I actually really like my JJ 6V6 tubes that I have in there, they break up earlier so you can get some awesome sustain, but it does make it sound a little more old school, so a standard 6L6GC would probably be more up your alley
Thanks mate, I was contemplating JJ anyway and I've ordered 3 x JJ ECC83S for the pre-amp, I'll get the 6L6 when I get paid at the end of the month. I did look at the ECC803 but decided on the others. I suppose I could mix and match in the future.
I got them in a set of 3, one of them is set up for the V3 slot just before the power tubes from what I gather.
I'm just about to try my old overdrive pedal in front of the amp, a guy on another forum suggested having gain at 3/4 when using a od with this amp to get the best out of it.
It's hard to say on something like gain. I change my levels drastically depending on the guitar I use, and with an overdrive Ill frequently run the gain at half or a little over half, just to get the most clarity. I use the krank for a lot of lead tones, so I tend to want as much clarity as possible.
Just received another e-mail from Chris Catero. 15% off on the Krank, Jr. Combos for 72 hours through the Krank store. So heads up to anyone thinking about making the purchase.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Well I changed the pre amp valves, wow what I difference, much smoother sounding and less harsh, no hum at all which was starting to bug me a bit.
The existing valves were a right old mixed bag, 1 x Tung Sol 12AX7, 1 x Mazda ECC8? (last number has worn off I think) and 1 x Bent? (could be Bentl or Benti) with a half white, half green label but half is ripped off lol, this one looks kinda blown at the top.

Anyway, chuffed to bits, there seems to be a touch more gain as well.
Couldn't help myself, dementia...but 5 years is long enough hah.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Yeah yeah, whatever. Good game. Campus on Monday will be sullen
Paul, you know you want to trade me your Krankenstein dude I am thinking about trading my halfstack to bluesmaster's here in durham and picking up a rev combo, but I figured I would offer you the trade one more time dude.
I'd do it man but I need a guitar. If you had an EC-401, EC-500 or an ESP Eclipse style guitar I'd trade with you in a heartbeat.

I'm very intrigued with the V3 but until I get my hands on a new fiddle I am restricted.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Wished I'd known earlier this year, I had one of those Ah well, thought I would offer.
Quote by iamcline
Fixin' to drop the Krankenstein down to $500.

Out of interest, what are the dimensions of the Krankstein?