Page 1 of 7
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
I'm having Casper Guitar Technologies craft a new guitar. The shaped will be a slightly modified Vai Jem. The outer edges will be a dark French roast brown (almost black), possibly in alligator or leather look paint. The inside (within the edging) will be a dark metalic brown. The neck also will be stained dark to match the dark edges of the body. Pictures will follow as it develops. For now, here are photos of the scratch plate, the vine inlay and proposed headstock shape.
Attachments:
pickguard.jpg
Last edited by logicbdj at Jul 1, 2012,
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
Ya, that's me, lol. This likely will be the last project (unless I want an acoustic). The first Casper guitar I had made offers a particular attack, tone, etc... modern sounding in many ways. The Hendrix model is at the other end of the spectrum (e.g., classic vs. modern). I'm now going for something between, but with this one I'm going all out on the ornamentation. I suspect Evolution pickups will be part of this model, with the centre pickup still undecided.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
By the way... I can get this built and customized to the hilt (actual silver hardware) for the same price as a Les Paul (which can run $2500 or more). Finding a luthier with skills who is not super well known or popular (e.g., Stephen Casper) certainly helps. You have custom guitars by Suhr, etc., that do not sound any better... do not play any better... do not look any better... but can cost at least double to triple of what I'm getting my guitars made for. My luthier has a different job to make money and has been doing this for 25 years as a serious hobby. Because he's not well known (yet), there is no high demand from him, and all that factors into the pricing.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
I've been a fan of Timber Tones for some time... quality wood picks, and a company that has been extending into shell and bone material. They've gone that extra step recently with their Treasure Tones (silver, gold and platinum picks). To match the silver hardware of the guitar, I'm going to get the solid silver Treasure Tone:

http://www.timber-tones-shop.com/solid-silver-plectrum-234-p.asp
Attachments:
TreasureTone.jpg
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
Will be using Gotoh tuners... a 1:21 gear ratio: a world first... the SG510 series.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
It's the turning of the gears... for one turn of the knob/key/peg, the innards (gear) turns 1.21 times. Greater turning inside, means less turning of the peg when tuning, adding new strings, etc.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I think you mean 21:1 ratio. 21 knob rotations for 1 post rotation.

That would make fine tuning easier, though I think the standard 18:1 grovers are pretty damn easy to tune. Still I prefer Gotoh and more options, so that's pretty cool.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
The ratio is 1:21, as per the website. My understanding is that a full turn creates a 2.1 internal rotation. I'm not sure I would want to crank something 21 times just to have the post turn one revolution!

I prefer the taper and angle of his picks, as opposed to a coin.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
I'm talking about comparing his picks to a coin.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by logicbdj
The ratio is 1:21, as per the website. My understanding is that a full turn creates a 2.1 internal rotation. I'm not sure I would want to crank something 21 times just to have the post turn one revolution!

I'm not sure why, but Gotoh writes it opposite of everyone else. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

Either way, the tuners are a 21:1 ratio with is only 3 more turns than Grovers or 5 more than the regular Gotohs. And yes, you will be turning the key 21 times for 1 rotations. It might sound like a lot, but it's really not. Try tuning a banjo with 4:1 tuners. That really sucks. Or even worse, a violin which is just 1.
cemges
Banned
822 IQ
I highly recommend evolution pickups but they are not for everyone. Evolution bridge pickup has too much mids and treble and less bass from you'd expect for a high gain pickup. İt is sounding different, but not really open sounding. You can go for evo2 instead for a better clean sound and more headroom, but it has even more mids. Single pickup for middle can be a Dimarzio cruiset or protrack , as you won't want to sacrifice your sustain.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
OK on the tuners... that was not my understanding, but there you have it, lol. I am going for the Evolutions. I wasn't sure about the middle pickup as I'm not much into the mids or too much bass (I almost always use my bridge pickup with the tone full up). I'll have to look into those pickups you mentioned. The others I was thinking about include: Virtual Soloist, Chopper or Injector. The decision has not been made yet, so feedback welcomed.
cemges
Banned
822 IQ
If you put a hum cancelling pickup in middle, you know you need some different wiring, the guys at Dimarzio told me to that a Red Velvet would fit that space really good. Original pickups for that position is HS-2 wired in single mode, but that's not really good on tone.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
My luthier is building it... he has 25 years experience. He does all that stuff. However, thanks for making note of this as I doubt not everyone knows it. And if I built the guitar myself, I wouldn't know it.
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel
1,897 IQ
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Man I think it's sick (in a bad way) that just because you have the money you want to get a strap made from an alligator.

The gator is dead anyways. In my opinion it'd be worse not to use it because then it would've died without purpose. Just like letting meat spoil.
w0lf19
Big Ugly Gorilla
567 IQ
Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Do you mean they find dead alligators?

I do custom leather, holsters, wallets, straps, etc. Most of the gator I buy is from state auctions in LA, and FLA where when they go to remove a gator from someone's property if it is over a certain size it has to be put down (Safety reasons), the hide is then often sold at state auction.

It's also retardedly pricy to get good gator hide.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
I suspect they harvest the meat as well... tastes like chicken (no kidding).
R_Gallagher_Fan
Not RGallagherFan
286 IQ
Quote by w0lf19
I do custom leather, holsters, wallets, straps, etc. Most of the gator I buy is from state auctions in LA, and FLA where when they go to remove a gator from someone's property if it is over a certain size it has to be put down (Safety reasons), the hide is then often sold at state auction.

It's also retardedly pricy to get good gator hide.

Oh didn't know, thanks for the information!
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
With the body being dark rich browns (the outer edge a French Roast, which is a bit darker than espresso), I'm debating on the neck fretboard being ebony (which would really make the inlay shine), or pau ferro (dark coffee with some cream running through it). Suggestions welcomed.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
The sound of the guitar has a lot to do with the person's playing style, as well as amps, pedals, etc., but I do like the tones coming from the sound samples on the Sublime Pickup website. I'm looking into them. This guitar is to be unique in many ways, and having pickups handmade based on the mahogany body, steel scratchplate, etc., is quite interesting!
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
Also... what I find really cool is that Sublime Pickups can engrave any logo, design, picture into the cover plate that covers the pickups, for that final touch of authentic individualism.
Last edited by logicbdj at Jul 21, 2012,
Spaztikko
2,246 IQ
Well somebody has WAY too much cash.

Good job, I want more pics.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,558 IQ
These are the knobs being made... solid silver with a diamond (gypsy style) inlay:
Attachments:
Knob1.jpg