Page 1 of 2
Alrighty folks, so way back when my brother had a poke at learning guitar he started to build one. He bought an Epoch neck off ebay (cheap bolt on les paul type neck) and started to make a body from the best tone wood ever.... TWO MDF SHELVES GLUED TOGETHER!!! Hell yeah, this baby will sustain for days, months, years! To say the least, Nigel Tunfel will be impressed. Trouble is he tried to do a neck pocket with an angle grinder.... no dice on that, so I'll fill it. So the plan on the finish is to do a material finish with an old plaid shirt as it should cover some of the imperfections in the surfaces

Anyhow, here's where we're at tonight. Tomorrow I should get the cavities cut. Maybe even glue the one piece toneplaid top on.

Oh yeah, and why four pickups? Because I had 'em! the break down is, two bc rich warlock pickups, one yamaha eg-112 bridge, and one washburn bridge (will need to flip magnets and polarity). Oh did I mention it will have a strat style trem for crazy dive bombs? Awww yeah.
in honesty, i'm not sure the trem will work properly if you have a gibson style angled head stock. Carvin uses angled headstocks, but they aren't angled as much. i remember reading something about this, so you might wanna google it.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

What you really need to do is disassemble those pickups and make some kind of Octobucker!
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
^ Oh My God Yes!!!
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Well it will essentially be an octobucker, they'll all be wired together and right next to eachother. All the pickups will get wired in series. I was thinking of having independent toggles for each pickup to add to the ridiculousness.

You should make all the switches and pot hats look like shirt buttons.

EDIT: stickied. Like a baws.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'

I can't wait to see all the phase switch, series and parallel combos you can get out of that. You'll need a 40 position rotary switch or something. This could become a complete animal!

Have you picked which nails you'll be using to put it all together?

'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
I saw an epiphone black beauty with 3 dimarzio multibuckers once, so 12 different coils... Killer. It had more switches then a firebird x, but it sonded great. One problem is that, you have to use the pickups far away from strings, or guitar won't have any sustain. And you should certainly use fixed bridge.
If possible, it would be cool to use the Seymour Duncan Triple Shot mounting ring, then Individual on switches for each pickup. And the post above me is right with the pickups being far away, I have a pair of Duncan SH-6's and a hot rails in one of my guitars and it doesn't sustain well.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by kurt_cobain9
in honesty, i'm not sure the trem will work properly if you have a gibson style angled head stock. Carvin uses angled headstocks, but they aren't angled as much. i remember reading something about this, so you might wanna google it.

Headstock angle has absolutely nothing to do with the kind of bridge...
Quote by LeviMan_2001
All the pickups will get wired in series.

Please complete this

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
this looks awesome!

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Thought you guys might like this one . And yes Jason, tis the name of the game, we'll just say that this one should go to 11 at least.

Lets just say at this point we've gone to plaid

And here's before the plaid with the pickups routed in. They're fairly close, I'm a bit worried about the sustain laments as well, but we'll see. They're solid mounted, btw.

I think for wiring I've decided on eight mini toggles to select each coil. They will be in series (all of them). I was also thinking of having two outputs, but how could I switch that? Maybe a switch to make half of them go to one amp and half to the other (so bridge+less bridge to one amp and neck+less neck to one amp?).

Also in case you guys haven't caught on to the few Spinal Tap references, here's a guitar built by Ernie Ball for 'Nigel Tunfel' that inspired this beast.

Which also in todays eight coil guitar history lesson we have this bad baby:

The Ural V8, mmmmm pure Soviet Russian POWA
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Jul 5, 2012,
You could do a ric-o-sound type output. Or use one main output and and use a normalizing jack for the second one. So you could get everything through jack one or use both and have them split. i.e. first two pickups/back two pickups.
Awesome, but the sustains gonna be shit with the 4 pickups. But who cares, its just for fun anyways. I'll definitely be watching this.
"If less is more, then just think of how much more more will be!." - Dr. Frasier Crane

That's what this thread reminds me of.
Last edited by W4RP1G at Jul 4, 2012,
Quote by W4RP1G
"If less is more, then just think of how much more more will be!." - Dr. Frasier Crane

that's my signature on another forum
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Headstock angle has absolutely nothing to do with the kind of bridge...

I'll take your word for it. You would know better than I would since you build a lot of guitars from scratch. I just remember reading something on a forum somewhere once that someone's strat style trem didn't work too well with a gibson style headstock angle. I'm never actually had any experience with that, so it could just be bull shit. just figured better safe than sorry.

EDIT: Glad your car is fixed, TS.

It's not headstock angle, it's neck angle. If you have a flat top guitar with a strat trem, and you put an angled neck on it (ala gibson) obviously, you're geometry will be all wrong. Since this thing is a flat top it'll be simple. Flat neck pocket, flat top, flat bridge. Done. Hopefully I'll get back to work on it tomorrow, btw.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It's not headstock angle, it's neck angle. If you have a flat top guitar with a strat trem, and you put an angled neck on it (ala gibson) obviously, you're geometry will be all wrong. Since this thing is a flat top it'll be simple. Flat neck pocket, flat top, flat bridge. Done. Hopefully I'll get back to work on it tomorrow, btw.

Cool. I learned something. Thanks for the information. :-)

O wow, did you lacquer the plaid down? What does it sound like?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Yes very much so I did. It took a lot, and looking back, I probably should have gone with poly because I think I could build it up a lot faster and have a nicer looking end result. Also I would have gone with a lighter color of plaid, because it looks like it's permanently wet now and dark green wet plaid is meh. And it sounds about how I imagined, very dark with TONS OF OUTPUT hahaha
Your cleans must be overdistored, XD

Now, do the same but instead of buckers, put 8 SC sized rail buckers.
lol... i want a Video!
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Yes very much so I did. It took a lot, and looking back, I probably should have gone with poly because I think I could build it up a lot faster and have a nicer looking end result. Also I would have gone with a lighter color of plaid, because it looks like it's permanently wet now and dark green wet plaid is meh. And it sounds about how I imagined, very dark with TONS OF OUTPUT hahaha

Well, you'll know better for next time.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
With 4 humbuckers, I'm suprised other less powerful guitars aren't orbiting yours.

Looks good though, in a kind of really trashy/ghetto way!
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
That looks totally mental
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by boblittle
lol... i want a Video!

This. This this this.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Telecaster7
Where are the stupid amounts of switches?

Terribly sorry, but I just didn't feel like buying 8 switches, routing a cavity and wiring them all in. Besides, I like it fine without. Maybe later?

As for those of you who said video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlTMkSuzXA

video. Also it should be noted that my amp is not a high gain amp by any stretch of the imagination. It's just an old Gibson tube amp that I've modified.
Page 1 of 2