Page 2 of 6
Quote by ComradSputnik
He's Armenian

Oops. In my defence, the only indication of his nationality was that he was from the USSR.
Still no faith in humanity.

When the entire cast of Jersey Shore are publicly executed (including any of their spawn) along with those hairy Kardashian freaks and everyone who ever watched any of the shows with them involved are forcibly sterilized, that'll be a start.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jul 7, 2012,
Quote by jugglingfreak

When the entire cast of Jersey Shore are publicly executed (including any of their spawn) along with those hairy Kardashian freaks and everyone who ever watched any of the shows with them involved are forcibly sterilized, that'll be a start.

This post made my faith in humanity drop tenfold.
Quote by jugglingfreak

Go back to the comments section on youtube.

On-topic;

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193

On-topic;

14 white kids with shaved heads, I think that kid is starting a gang
Quote by necrosis1193

On-topic;

I've never understood the point of that. It's quite stupid to be honest.

Also, the Soviet swimmer made me face.;____________;
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I dont remember where i saw it but there was a story of a kid with leukemia who had wanted to be a Marine, but wouldnt get the chance because he like stage 3 or 4 leukemia. The USMC actually inducted him as an honorary Marine and they had a soldier stand guard in front of his hospital room the night he died. The Corps actually gave the family a flag and treated his as they would any other marine's. Kinda brought a tear to my eye that there are still people who will care that much about someone who they didnt even know. They did it just because.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

You clearly do not understand the psychological effects of symbolism and group support.

Quote by gabcd86
Oops. In my defence, the only indication of his nationality was that he was from the USSR.

It's not exactly the most Russian sounding name, is it?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

...why?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
...why?

Well, first of all, shaving your head does nothing to actually benefit either party. I don't buy the whole "shows your support" thing. Your support is implied because it's your friend, or you can simply show/tell them how much you're supporting them rendering the shaved head useless. So at best it's pointless, at worst people do it to show off what a good person they are effectively cashing in on their friend's cancer.
Quote by willT08
Well, first of all, shaving your head does nothing to actually benefit either party. I don't buy the whole "shows your support" thing. Your support is implied because it's your friend, or you can simply show/tell them how much you're supporting them rendering the shaved head useless. So at best it's pointless, at worst people do it to show off what a good person they are effectively cashing in on their friend's cancer.

Those kids are like 10, can they really explain how they feel properly or support the kid? I don't think so.

What if the cancer kid felt self consious about his shaved head and his friends did it to make him feel comfy?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Those kids are like 10, can they really explain how they feel properly or support the kid? I don't think so.

What if the cancer kid felt self consious about his shaved head and his friends did it to make him feel comfy?

Well I guess it's okay for 10 year olds. But adults do it as well, at which point it does become silly.
Quote by willT08
Well I guess it's okay for 10 year olds. But adults do it as well, at which point it does become silly.

I've never heard of adults doing that.

Sources? Cause that's weird.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by willT08

Jesus Christ, they're like 9 years olds.

Maybe he didn't want to have a shaved head. It brings attention to him and his cancer. They shave their heads so he isn't the only one who has to look like that.

Edit: seems I've been beaten to it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I've never heard of adults doing that.

Sources? Cause that's weird.

http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/

Apparently thousands partake for people they don't even personally know...

Or http://www.shaveforthebrave.ca/ does a similar thing. And I've personally know quite a few adults to do it.

Just Google "Shaved Heads Cancer" and you'll find loads.
Last edited by willT08 at Jul 8, 2012,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

i don't know how many bald children you know, but it's pretty tough for them. it's a sign of their sickness and makes them feel different. hell, i know 25 year olds that are thinning on top and use hair products to cover it up because they're self-conscious.

for whatever reason, there's a degree of embarrassment. even a lot of adult females would feel embarrassed about being totally bald. being visibly different. so people shave their heads as support so they don't feel out of place or weird. it's a sign of solidarity and support and i'd imagine it means a lot to them.
#DTWD
Quote by willT08

Or http://www.shaveforthebrave.ca/ does a similar thing. And I've personally know quite a few adults to do it.

It's to raise money and if I'm not mistaken, they can use the hair for wigs. What's wrong with that?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Edit: ^Also that.

Quote by willT08

Again, it's a way of supporting the person. It's a change that is often considered unflattering that someone makes to their appearance for no reason other than to show solidarity for a friend. Regardless of the fact you're already their friend, actions speak louder than words. Actually doing something like this, even if it's trivial in the big picture, is a lot louder of a statement of support than just saying "I'm you're friend, I'm going to stick with you, and you're going to get through this."

Quote by necrosis1193

Again, it's a way of supporting the person. It's a change that is often considered unflattering that someone makes to their appearance for no reason other than to show solidarity for a friend. Regardless of the fact you're already their friend, actions speak louder than words. Actually doing something like this, even if it's trivial in the big picture, is a lot louder of a statement of support than just saying "I'm you're friend, I'm going to stick with you, and you're going to get through this."

Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting. I'd much rather people don't shave their heads and are actually there for me (of course, I realize there's no reason you can't do both).

And I can't imagine an adult with cancer who's genuinely concerned with how their hair looks (or doesn't, as the case may be).

And I've been around plenty of people with cancer, not one of them ever asked anyone to shave their head. One girl came to school bald as a button and she was fine with it as was everybody else.
Last edited by willT08 at Jul 8, 2012,
Quote by willT08
Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting.

well what the fuck do you want them to do, administer radiation therapy?
#DTWD
Quote by willT08

And I can't imagine an adult with cancer who's genuinely concerned with how their hair looks (or doesn't, as the case may be).

Really?

I know many many people who absolutely hate that they're going bald. I can only imagine having cancer making those feeling even worse.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by willT08
Is it? It kinda seems like a get-out-of-jail-free move to be honest. Shave your head and you've already showed your support without actually having to do any supporting. I'd much rather people don't shave their heads and are actually there for me (of course, I realize there's no reason you can't do both).

Yeah but that person who supports you would probably want to support the cause further. That's why they do those hair drives. It raises money, awareness and you can get a rad wig.

Also, some cancers aren't a death sentence and a lot of cancer patients I know/knew did wear wigs. Especially women. Look at Sharon Osbourne during the second season of the show.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by willT08

Considering the outrageous prices people pay for hair products and haircuts and how much they care, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't consider it a free pass. Plus if it's someone they care about or know well, I guarantee they're not just shaving their head and saying "Well, I did my part."

You'd be surprised. Obviously getting past cancer kind of takes priority, but people - especially people who aren't in the best health - can be very self-conscious, and few things hurt that more than feeling bad about how you look. An aunt of mine has had a battle with cancer the past few years, and it's finally come back in the past year or two, but until then I had never seen her without a hat, even at home and in hot weather.

Quote by primusfan
well what the fuck do you want them to do, administer radiation therapy?

Probably not. But actually providing some emotional support (or maybe physical if need be) would be of more use to a cancer patient than people having a number one all over.

Really?

I know many many people who absolutely hate that they're going bald. I can only imagine having cancer making those feeling even worse.

With all of the cancer sufferer's I've known, the fact that they now have cancer kinda nullifies their worries of baldness.
oh willy...
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
oh willy...

Irish coming back to deal with the 4 people I'm trying to reply to would be handy
Quote by willT08
Probably not. But actually providing some emotional support (or maybe physical if need be) would be of more use to a cancer patient than people having a number one all over.

With all of the cancer sufferer's I've known, the fact that they now have cancer kinda nullifies their worries of baldness.

Well not everybody is directly affected by cancer or has somebody they need to support. Does that mean they shouldn't do it because they aren't emotionally supportive to somebody? What's to say people aren't supporting AS WELL as doing something like that?

I just don't understand how this is a bad thing at all.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I was told by a barber that the people who make the wigs for cancer patients have tons of hair but not enough money to make the wigs. And apparently they are picky, no one with grey hair can donate for example.

Oh and shaving your head to show support isn't going to make cancer just go fuck it and leave but it is a huge psychological boost and a symbolic way to show that person is not in their fight alone. Their self confidence is not going to be high when their body is attacking them and growing weak so any kind of moral support like that that says you aren't weird and you are going to make it through this is helpful. It depends on the person really though, if I had cancer I wouldn't want everyone I know to shave their heads too.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Jul 8, 2012,
Quote by palm mute
I was told by a barber that the people who make the wigs for cancer patients have tons of hair but not enough money to make the wigs. And apparently they are picky, no one with grey hair can donate for example.

That's kind of weird. You'd think that they would make old people wigs too. Is it for a specific reason?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well not everybody is directly affected by cancer or has somebody they need to support. Does that mean they shouldn't do it because they aren't emotionally supportive to somebody? What's to say people aren't supporting AS WELL as doing something like that?

I just don't understand how this is a bad thing at all.

I never said it was a bad thing, I said it was silly and/or pointless. My problem isn't actually with charities and the like, I just didn't want to trawl local newspaper websites to find examples of adults doing it. And I acknowledged people can shave their head and be supportive.

But people who shave their heads with no intention of actually providing any emotional support are, at least from my point of view, only doing so to make themselves look better and capitalize on their friend's cancer. People who are planning on providing emotional support needn't shave their heads.
As a way to subtly ruin this thread, I'm going to mention how many people partake in awareness campaigns (despite the fact that they accomplish almost nothing) because we feel obligated to support some sort cause, be it a little empathy mixed with a little conformity, but nearly invariably take the path of least resistance: raising awareness. We feel empathy for strangers but are unlikely to act upon it; yet, when we narrative our life, our failure to act is always a result of environmental factors, but when we do act, it is out of the goodness of our heart. tldr: Our actions, good or bad, often times have little to do with good or bad. Shit sucks man.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Lets get this back on-topic with a picture of a man in a flood going into about 4-5 feet of water to rescue kittens:

Quote by willT08
I never said it was a bad thing, I said it was silly and/or pointless. My problem isn't actually with charities and the like, I just didn't want to trawl local newspaper websites to find examples of adults doing it. And I acknowledged people can shave their head and be supportive.

But people who shave their heads with no intention of actually providing any emotional support are, at least from my point of view, only doing so to make themselves look better and capitalize on their friend's cancer. People who are planning on providing emotional support needn't shave their heads.

Yeah but I feel like that specific situation RARELY happens. If they don't support the friend, why would they shave their head? Really who capitalizes on their friends cancer? If its an actual friend, you wouldn't be thinking that way.

They would look just as good donating to a foundation.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
That's kind of weird. You'd think that they would make old people wigs too. Is it for a specific reason?

I don't know, this is all just what a barber told some lady when I was in there a long time ago. I've admittedly never looked up to see if it's true but I never had any reason to doubt it.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
I don't know, this is all just what a barber told some lady when I was in there a long time ago. I've admittedly never looked up to see if it's true but I never had any reason to doubt it.

I just think its kind of weird. You'd think he'd mention why.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I just think its kind of weird. You'd think he'd mention why.

For all I know he could just be some weirdo who lies to his customers

Or the people who make the wigs are weird
In my heart I'm with you

every night