Page 3 of 7
It was only today that i realized that this is whoomit's build.

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It was only today that i realized that this is whoomit's build.

Not bad for a stupid Pit-Monkey eh?

Well my string ferrules arrived today. You can really tell they're cheap. Two of them have grooves that go around the hole, three are perfectly flat, and one's completely off centre

Anyway, time to go see about fretting and radiusing and that lot.

Eep.
Quote by Telecaster7
This build makes me moist, but I think I made that clear already. Keep at it!

Why thank you

Well here's my method for fret slotting. Firstly, mark on my centre line and tape on an accurate ruler! Make sure your pencil's hella sharp, and have a pencil sharpener on hand. A chair, something to eat, and a drink (usually tea, but in this case it's honey and lemon) also come in handy

Mark the points of the frets along the centre line, and then use a protractor to score the fret slots perpindicular to the centre line with a sharp knife:

Then I go through the slots a few more times with the knife to deepen the slot. This gives my saw something to follow:

Then I drag my Japanese saw through the knife scores, and voilà, slots are done! You can see my less than perfect slots here:

I've never been great at slotting. It doesn't tend to matter though because next I'll be radiusing the fretboard, which'll erase any imperfections. That's me all done for today, and I don't think I'll be doing anything tomorrow as I'm going to partake in an airsoft event!
You did use a try square for those perpendicular lines right? But that's coming along nicely man... Wish I had the skills and tools to attempt this...
Silverburst
Quote by Insanity ninja
You did use a try square for those perpendicular lines right? But that's coming along nicely man... Wish I had the skills and tools to attempt this...

No, a protractor. I'm working from a centreline.

A tri-square wouldn't work because the edges of the fretboard are angled.
Quote by Insanity ninja
Ahh, I see... That sounds bloody hard to do man. Sweet project!

Well it's easier for me to do that then to try and make sure I glue the fretboard on perfectly square
So the day before yesterday I started radiusing the fretboard with a plane. Turns out it doesn't like being planed, so I just had to radius it with a sanding block:

Next I marked the centre of my fret markers, and punched the centre:

Holes drilled, inlays glued in and sanded flush:

Next I cleared the slots of all the dust with a knife blade. Unfortunately the tip of the blade snapped off in the slot of the 20th fret which meant I slipped out and cut the nicely sanded board:

To remedy this I sanded the board down some more until the mark was gone, and then cleared the frets VERY carefully I again. Then I cut the slots to final depts. Next I took a small triangular needle file to the slots, this helps to guide the fret into the slot. It also means if it ever gets refretted, the removal of the frets won't chip the surface of the board. You can see the two on the left have been filed, and the two on the right haven't yet:

Sanded to 600 grit, that shine

And some curry that I found in the fridge for lunch:
now that's how a curry should look....
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
This should be called "the Lunch Build". The has to be an equal Food:Guitar ratio of pictures.

I love it so far. it looks great.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Well after I had eaten my lunch I started fretting. I forgot I have awkward fretwire. Too thick to fit in slots cut by a japanese saw, and too thin to fit in slots cut by a gentleman's saw. Anyway, I cut through all my slots again with my gentleman's saw, the filing I'd done with the triangular file helped guide the saw into the centre. I did the slots one at a time, and then hammered in the fret. This way I kept changing jobs and was less likely to lose concentration:

I had a break after 9 frets, my back was killing. Anyway, you might be wondering how the frets stayed in if the slots were too wide? With my homemade fret tang wideners!

So I got it all fretted:

I had to stop there though. My dad moved all my fret files and we can't find them Work will continue once I've found them I guess...
Shit. I went out for lunch and had a chicken burger with bacon, cheese, onion rings, mayo, chips, salad and coleslaw. Should've taken a picture

I've spent hours looking for my files and haven't found them yet...
Quote by Telecaster7
Maybe they're in your... filing cabinet?

Quote by von Layzonfon
Don't fret. They'll turn up.

-_-

I'm not working slowly! I've been looking for my files I'm going to have to order new ones. Tomorrow I've got a few things lined up to tide me over until my files arrive:

I need to rout my control cavity a little deeper.
Drill holes for my jack and all my wiring.
Drill tuner holes.
Thickness the headstock.
Sort out nut slot, and make a nut blank (I'm going to make it from aluminium).
Line up my bridge. Hopefully it will match up with my templates, meaning I can make necks and bodies that don't need any lining up whatsoever.
I can also drill my string through holes, and sort out my ferrules.

After that lot's done then I can start the finishing process on the body
WHERE IS THE FOOT?! all I see is shoes?!

disappointing!

EDIT: entirely misread food... ignore me
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Well here's a picture of my sexy body and all the parts I ordered:

I decided to just get on with filing the fret ends flush with an ordinary metal file:

Cut an aluminium nut blank from some aluminium that belonged to my grandad:

I've started flattening the edge that I cut, and when I took this picture it was too hot to handle:

What do people think I should use for the side dots? Pictured there is a bit of (dirty) copper, about 4mm radius, and a steel coat hanger, about 2-3mm radius. Thoughts?

And I'll leave you with a picture of where my fret files were:

They were in the correct cupboard all along, just hanging on the inside of the door. My dad and I searched through that cupboard multiple times, and then spent God knows how many hours searching EVERYWHERE in the workshop, and even in the house.

Edit: That is NOT a picture of my sexy body after all. It's a picture of my Slenderman fingers for some reason. That's not how it shows up on Photobucket Anyway I'll sort it tomorrow.
Last edited by whoomit at Jul 30, 2012,
Quote by Telecaster7
The side dots should be made from the tines of old forks. You know it to be true.

SO TRUE.

Headstock thicknessed, tuner holes drilled, and recesses drilled for the washers:

Drilled the hole for the jack input. I should have used a flat bit, but instead I used twist bits and it ended up going slightly off-centre. I then used that weird bit in the drill to widen the end for the nut:

Lined up the bridge and got the holes drilled. You can also see the wiring channels drilled, and the holes for the neck bolts:

The plywood split slightly around the ferrule holes:

My dad made up a little jig for me to get my nut blank sanded square:

Here are a couple mock-ups, what do you think I should do for a pickguard then? Any suggestions are welcome:
Wow. lookin nice! maybe you should use some off-beat pickguard material like...idk canvas? probably a stupid idea though.
I've been following this thread for quite a while and I just realized it's whoomit's thread

It's really looking nice right now!
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Loki.Foxchild
Wow. lookin nice! maybe you should use some off-beat pickguard material like...idk canvas? probably a stupid idea though.

use some kitchen wallpaper.

bitches love kitchen wallpaper
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?