Page 4 of 7
If you don't mind me asking how many hours have you put in so far? I'd love to try something like this but don't have an area to work in or any tools. One day maybe...

How did you first learn to do this?
1972 Telecaster Custom (My Baby)
Last edited by THE BULGE at Jul 31, 2012,
I'm at this point equally interested in the foodstuffs as the progress on the guitar.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Find a dark wood pickguard.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Quote by THE BULGE
If you don't mind me asking how many hours have you put in so far? I'd love to try something like this but don't have an area to work in or any tools. One day maybe...

How did you first learn to do this?

I haven't spent that long to be honest. Maybe between 20-30 hours, but it could be less. A hell of a lot of my time is spent tidying up in the workshop as it's always a mess in there.

I learned by spending a week in Somerset with Ben Crowe of Crimson Guitars, he taught me. He was a great teacher but unfortunately he doesn't do the courses any more as he couldn't make enough money from it. If you're thinking about trying it out then you should check out the book Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. It's a very informative book, but just remember, it's not gospel. Different techniques work for different people.

Here's a pic-free update:

No pics, as I'm fucking shattered. Basically I'm going to try to make a black leather pickguard, as we have a whole sofa's worth of old leather. I started making one, but it wasn't good enough. I'll hopefully get a chance to try a second one tomorrow.

I roughly got the nut shaped, but I can't seem to get it to sit right in the nut slot for some reasons. The bottom of the slot and the bottom of the nut both seem to be level, but something's not quite right.

I tried using some scrap 2mm steel rod as side-dots. That didn't go well at all, they didn't want to fit into the holes, so I ended up messing up the 3rd fret hole. I'll either fix it with glue and dust, or fit slightly bigger dots. We'll see
Last edited by whoomit at Aug 2, 2012,
Lookin' good bro. What's your estimated time of completion?
08' Fender MiA Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Hyneken
Lookin' good bro. What's your estimated time of completion?

Well the body's ready for finishing (although I want to get my pickguard sorted first) and my neck just needs side dots and shaping. That shouldn't take that long at all.

It's this aluminium nut that's going to take time, and I don't know how long it's going to take me to get this leather pickguard made Then it's just electronics and set up which should be over in one day I guess. I don't know, it all depends on what else is going on in my hectic life

[quote="samBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Right, here they are!

Some leather from the sofa:

First attempt at cutting a pickguard:
I cut the bridge and control plate parts too far apart so I stopped. Think I'm going to make an MDF template and cut around that.

Aluminium nut roughly shaped:

The mess I made of the side of the fretboard trying to use steel for the side-dots:
Quote by sam b
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote by guitar-tin
Where has all the food gone?

BOTH OF THESE THINGS

I know you added some pics, but that doesn't make up for the 'no pics update'
Why the hell is this not in your sig anymore? I had to go through your profile to find this thread

Make it a tiny link or soemthing if you don't want it big like it was
Quote by sam b
Why the hell is this not in your sig anymore? I had to go through your profile to find this thread

Make it a tiny link or soemthing if you don't want it big like it was
If you want to keep track of a thread you can either subscribe or use the "Stick for me" link at the top so it'll always be just below all the other stickied threads at top of the forum.
Quote by von Layzonfon
Man, he makes good stuff. You lucky so-and-so.

This thing blows my mind:

Anyway, I've put it back in my sig for you Sam <3

Progress is slow at the moment because I seem to be busy with a bunch of other things. Hopefully get a lot done today though.

Yesterday I managed to get the side-dots sorted:

I put the steel rod into a hand drill and used that to sand down the edges a little so it would go into the holes a little smoother. Then I coated them in a little glue and tapped them in gently with a mallet.
Taking a break at the moment as it's hella hot in the workshop.

Here are some pics:

Plywood template for my blank pickguard:

I cut the leather around that, and then placed the nack, bridge, and control plate on top and cut around them:

I've still got the neck pickup hole to cut.

Anyway I used some of the scrap leather to make little leather bits for my strap buttons:

I'll do some more work on the neck tomorrow and hopefully get that finished
ALL THE BEST PROGRESS COMES FROM WHEN YOU DRINK BODY FUEL!!!
~Batman

Cool stuff though. After hearing this one sound demo, I'm currently GASing like mad for a Squier CV Tele. I can see why you'd build one

Needs more lunch though. Just saying. If you want, I'll upload pics of MY LUNCH, but nobody want's to see my delicacies.
I know there's not much lunch action going on, I haven't really been eating I'm afraid I'll take out some bacon to defrost tonight and I'll get some pics on the go tomorrow

Got some scrap stainless steel:

Made it in to a jack plate:

When I was doing more shaping on the neck I rediscovered this crack: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29991231&postcount=41

Turns out it goes right through the whole headstock:

I syringed some glue into that and left it to hopefully sort itself out.

I was trying to figure out a way to stiffen my leather pickguard. My first attempt (left) failed. I just sprayed the back with a few coats of lacquer. The second attempt is drying now, I spread glue into the back of it. We'll see how that goes:

So, the gaps between the teak veneer on the front of the body... Reckon I should fill them with a contrasting colour or something? Like some black?
That is looking gorgeous... if you fill the gaps with a dark colour it'd give a sort of pinstripe suit pattern which I would be very jealous of.
You could try the egg whites fill for double points for food and guitar building simultaneously, i cant remember how you planned on finishing this (stain vs solid color).
I just wanna know how the pine sounds cuz I might make a super strat out if it
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by Telecaster7
How will this monstrosity be finished?

All natural bb.
Quote by jdsmith0405
That is looking gorgeous... if you fill the gaps with a dark colour it'd give a sort of pinstripe suit pattern which I would be very jealous of.

That's kinda what I was thinking
Quote by BirdRiverCustom
You could try the egg whites fill for double points for food and guitar building simultaneously

Quote by IronMaiden76
I just wanna know how the pine sounds cuz I might make a super strat out if it

I'll get a video up once it's done
Quote by Telecaster7
sxc.

Do the pinstripe thing, plz wohmat.

I'll give it a try. I'm not sure if the gaps are between all of the strips of teak or just some though. Will check tomorrow
Quote by von Layzonfon
+1 for pinstripes. Looking very nice indeed.

And as Ozzy says, "Pine is fine but wicker's quicker." At least, I think that's what he says.

You should pinstripe the guitar, and get a pinstripe suit with the pinstripes going parallel to how they'd be on the guitar while playing.
Like. A. Boss.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by LivinJoke84
Looking good.

Whats the estimate on how long it'll take you to finish?

We'll see how far I get by the end of today.

Clearing out the grooves with a blade:

It took about 45 minutes to get them nice and clean but here we go:

You can see there's actually some grooves that were too tight to really get into, so I just left them. When I realised that it was symmetrical I thought "Oh wow, what a coincidence!" Then I realised that it's symmetrical 'cause it's the same piece of wood

Glue in the headstock crack dried:

Neck almost done. I've drawn straight lines across the back of it to make it easier to see how the upper and lower halfs compare. The lower curve still needed a bit more rounding when I took this (although you can't really see it very well in the picture):

AND THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!

Bacon, couple of fried eggs, and some hot sauce
Filled the worm holes in the back of the neck (although they'll probably require a little more filling):

Testing out different dyes in my grain filler:

The leather that I coated in glue yesterday stiffened up quite nicely:

It curled up a bit though so I taped the real one to a plank of hardboard with double-sided tape and slathered it in glue:

Fingers crossed!