Hey guys!
I wanted to ask, is there a major difference in quality between the Original FR and the FR 1000?
I understand the originals are made in Germany while 1000 are made in Korea (correct me if i'm wrong).
I understood that they both should get the job done, but still, I want to confirm this. Hope you guys could help me.

Thanks !
The OFR is (allegedly) made to a higher standard and is just generally better. It's also more expensive. The 1000 is, IIRC, supposed to be one of the best licensed copies.
The 1000 is not a "licensed copy". It's an official Floyd, just like the OFR. There are many official models of Floyd; the 2000, 1000 and Special are just three of them.

The FR-1000 is, for all intents and purpsoes, identical to the OFR. The only differences are, depending on the year of manufacture, the name 'Floyd Rose 1000' stamped into it and slight chamfering of the saddle edges. The metals used and all dimensions are exactly the same.

The OFR is cast and assembled in Germany while the 2000 and 1000 are cast and assembled in South Korea. Unless you have an irrational hatred for South Korea there is no reason to suspect the 2000 and 1000 models as being in any way inferior to the OFR.

The Special is slightly different, as it uses zinc for a few less important parts and it usually comes with a smaller block. The vital aspects are steel though, and it does at least stay in tune just as well as any other model in the Floyd line.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There are claims that it is not as good as the German made version, but I don't know if they are legitimate. My logic leads me to believe that as long as they used the same material, it would be just as durable and sound the same. I had one once and I thought it was just as good as the German made version.
just to provide the alternative viewpoint, i thought the korean OFR/FRT-1000 was noticeably not as nice as the german one (and yes, I've owned both).

It'll still do the job, and is far better than most of those no-name licensed POSs, but yeah. give me the choice and I'm taking the schaller-made one every single time. Not even a decision.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well certainly if I have the choice I'll pick the OFR (or actually, the Gotoh version). But the 2000/1000, and even the Special, have yet to fail me or anybody else I personally know.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
well in the real world, the only two options aren't "success" or "failure". As i said, the x000 will do the job, but the schaller-made one does it better. It's just nicer in use, more responsive, etc. etc. You can see it's been made to better tolerances, too, just looking at the thing. the quality of the metalworking on the x000 is pretty rudimentary in places (actually in places the schaller-made one looks pretty rudimentary too compared to the gotoh you mentioned, but the schaller-made one is still better than the x000).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_MC, I already understood that the OFR is probably better than the x000, I asked it because I tried the OFR on a few guitars, and now I'm getting myself a new Schecter guitar, (Blackjack SLS), and it has a FR 1000 system, which I'm not too familiar with. I noticed Schecter no longer uses OFR (or maybe they still do at some guitars? anyway, not in the BJ SLS), and I wanted to be sure if it really is such a major difference that would be a problem to me, I understand that it won't, correct me if I'm wrong, so I'm fine about the FR thing

So anyway, after hearing you guys, reading a lot of reviews online and having a bit of experience with a few guitars that had an OFR or a Special, I ordered myself the Schecter through the store who imports Schecter in my country, so now all I have to do is wait for my new babe to arrive ! Can't wait for it, such a great sounding and fun guitar to play on.
Last edited by NatiScream at Jul 28, 2012,
Basically, it's a reliable choice, but whether or not you like it as much as the German version is up to you. Some people even like OFRs more than an Ibanez Edge or Lo-Pro. Crazy people.
Quote by NatiScream
Dave_MC, I already understood that the OFR is probably better than the x000, I asked it because I tried the OFR on a few guitars, and now I'm getting myself a new Schecter guitar, (Blackjack SLS), and it has a FR 1000 system, which I'm not too familiar with. I noticed Schecter no longer uses OFR (or maybe they still do at some guitars? anyway, not in the BJ SLS), and I wanted to be sure if it really is such a major difference that would be a problem to me, I understand that it won't, correct me if I'm wrong, so I'm fine about the FR thing

So anyway, after hearing you guys, reading a lot of reviews online and having a bit of experience with a few guitars that had an OFR or a Special, I ordered myself the Schecter through the store who imports Schecter in my country, so now all I have to do is wait for my new babe to arrive ! Can't wait for it, such a great sounding and fun guitar to play on.

it's not a massive, massive difference, but it is noticeable, if you ask me.

I'd sorta grudgingly put the frt-x000 in the top group of good locking trems (as it's usable) with the caveats that (a) it's the worst of the good ones and (b) it's a direct swap for a schaller-made OFR so if you don't like it it should be a straightforward swap.

regarding schecter- i'm pretty sure they were always using frt-x000s and just calling them OFRs. So I doubt anything has changed there

hope you enjoy your new guitar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say the 1000 would be just as good. I have an old Edge tremolo and it has held up just as well over the years as any OFR I've ever owned. Now days, with machining and technological advances, you can see roughly the same quality and precision. The German made units might use a different alloy of steel that is said to be better, but my guess is that same steel is used in the Korean made units. It's likely simply a shipping and labor cost. Why ship from Germany to Korea when you can simply manufacture the same thing right there. Of course, the skill of the guy making the alloy and the actual unit are of question.

Personally, I'd take an Ibanez Edge trem anyday. Especially the low profile units. They are much more comfortable to play on and I can actually find one left handed.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Jul 28, 2012,
^ not sure, actually. I'd assume so, but if i were actually spending any money i'd email floyd rose first to see. They answered me (eventually) when i asked about the 1000 and the OFR being a direct swap.

Quote by Fenderexpx50
I'd say the 1000 would be just as good. I have an old Edge tremolo and it has held up just as well over the years as any OFR I've ever owned. Now days, with machining and technological advances, you can see roughly the same quality and precision. The German made units might use a different alloy of steel that is said to be better, but my guess is that same steel is used in the Korean made units. It's likely simply a shipping and labor cost. Why ship from Germany to Korea when you can simply manufacture the same thing right there. Of course, the skill of the guy making the alloy and the actual unit are of question.

Brilliant! so with no experience of actually trying one, you confidently proclaim the korean-made one is just as good?

I'm also not sure it's very much to do with the skill of the guy (could be wrong, I have no experience with metalworking), as I'm guessing the machines are mainly automated. But the tolerances of the machines and quality of the metal are very important. And the korean one definitely looks like corners have been cut compared to the german one- and doesn't feel as nice in use as the german one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ not sure, actually. I'd assume so, but if i were actually spending any money i'd email floyd rose first to see. They answered me (eventually) when i asked about the 1000 and the OFR being a direct swap.

Brilliant! so with no experience of actually trying one, you confidently proclaim the korean-made one is just as good?

I'm also not sure it's very much to do with the skill of the guy (could be wrong, I have no experience with metalworking), as I'm guessing the machines are mainly automated. But the tolerances of the machines and quality of the metal are very important. And the korean one definitely looks like corners have been cut compared to the german one- and doesn't feel as nice in use as the german one.

I haven't used one, but when I saw these 1000s coming out on Schecter guitars, I emailed Schecter about them since I was considering buying one. I was told by Schecter that the 1000s were made nearly the same way as the OFR, but they are South Korean made and are made of a slightly different steel alloy. I was also told that yes, they did take a few steps to lessen the manufacture cost, but that the alloy was very close to that of the German made units.

Someone does have to figure out the alloy, but that comes way before the manufacture of the part. So the guys figuring out the alloy used had a hand in the quality. What I've said reflects what I've read about and heard about. With proper care, the 1000s will likely do what an OFR would do. Which one will hold out longer? That I don't think anyone can answer quite yet.
yeah the company selling the thing certainly isn't going to exaggerate how good the thing is.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the company selling the thing certainly isn't going to exaggerate how good the thing is.

I figure they probably said something that wasn't entirely true. But from what they told me and what I read up on says the 1000 is a unit of decent quality. I'm not knocking German quality, but for what the 1000 is, it's likely going to work ok. But I should've mentioned that I've only read. On paper it looks good.

I'm really concerned with tuning stability. I figure the 1000 would do that.
i'm obviously concerned with tuning stability, but i'm also concerned that the thing be a pleasure to use. there's nothing particularly "wrong" with the frt-x000, but i wouldn't say it's a pleasure to use like the schaller OFR or Gotoh, either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm obviously concerned with tuning stability, but i'm also concerned that the thing be a pleasure to use. there's nothing particularly "wrong" with the frt-x000, but i wouldn't say it's a pleasure to use like the schaller OFR or Gotoh, either.

I doubt it's as smooth feeling as those. Particularly the Gotoh, I've really liked their products, including their double locking units. I'm just happy if it holds tune. Sort of like a cars. I ran one without a radio, comfortable seats, and all that kind of stuff. It still got me there, but the ride was a lot different.
yeah that's about the gist of it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
All of this subjective information is just more smoke and mirrors. I've used alot of Floyd Units. Particularly the Floyd 1000 Pro. Because it has the same string spacing as the original floyd rose but in a lo-pro format. The german made floyd pro has a more narrow string spacing which does not work well for some. I'll be honest. There is not one single difference between a german made floyd rose and the Floyd 1000 series. All metals, tolerances, and specs are identical in every way shape and form. Even schaller is known to send out crap from time to time and if you do enough research you will see plenty of people who have broken parts on floyd units from germany that are under 1 month old. I just witnessed this recently and I saw a very poor quality piece of steel on a Schaller made floyd.

I know this thread is a couple years old but I am posting what is actual and true in case anyone else wants to read. If you find a Floyd 1000 unit for less than 1/2 the price of an original floyd, you should buy as many as you can. They hype about german made floyd units is not a guarantee that you are getting something better. It's a preference that is more mental than actual. When properly setup, even Samick guitars with no name licensed floyd units from the 80s are still in tact, holding perfect tune, and NOT broken. Not all are like this, but I know one model floyd used by Samick that stood the test of time and there are other licenced copies that will even feel better to some who always swore by german floyds. People are so easily swayed these days. Any decent quality floyd unit can be more than adequate and fool even those who think they know when they are holding a german made in their hand. If I stamped Original Floyd Rose on a generic floyd unit that looks identical, I bet some of the people here who think they know so much would be surprised when they find out the tremolo they insist is the best one they tried, that has OFR stamped on it, is actually a cheap $30 knock-off.

I've played them all, tested them all, explored all facts, and did enough comparisons to know. Please don't insult my intelligence. Rather, stop insulting your own. If you truly prefer the OFR from germany, fine. But do not pretend you know something others do not by claiming that the german made unit is using anything better than the Korean 1000 series when that is not what the facts claim. They are identical units made in 2 different places and even Germany has bad days from time to time. You people must be smoking the same thing as the republicans
Last edited by tteksystems at Dec 6, 2014,
^ I've heard of some complaints about the Schaller-made ones (indeed, I think Suhr stopped using them for that reason), but the FRT-1000 isn't "exactly the same" as the German-made one. I have the two right here and I can see obvious differences, and there are obvious differences in use as well.

This link spells out the differences pretty well:

http://dellus.net/updates/original-floyd-rose-german-vs-korean/

and it has photographic evidence (which is in line with my own experience). Are you suggesting those photos are faked?

[Just as one example, you can tell that the fine tuners on the FRT-x000 are much lower in quality than the Schaller ones. They feel really cheap. Now, the Schaller ones aren't amazing either (the Gotoh takes the prize by some margin when it comes to the quality and niceness-in-use of the fine tuners), but they're a lot better than the FRT-x000s all the same.]
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 7, 2014,