Page 1 of 8
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Alright, so, most of you will have probably heard one or more of the UG community albums, and will have seen the talent which is hiding away in the depths of the Pit. But as yet we haven't had an album dedicated to Stoner/Sludge/Doom, some of my favourite genres, and I'd like to see this changed. So I propose making another UG community album. There are some extremely talented individuals out there and I'd love to hear what people can do.

FAQ (Will add to this later):

What kind of music can I submit?

Anything which corresponds roughly to the genres listed above. Stoner Rock, Stoner Doom, all the other subgenres of Doom Metal, Sludge, even Psychadelic Rock.

It's all very well listing those genres, but they means nothing to me. Can you give me some examples?
Fo sho:

Stoner Rock
Sludge
Various subgenres of Doom Metal
Psychadelic Rock

There is plenty more to each genre, but that should give you a good idea of what I'm talking about here.

What about Post-Metal?
As much as I'd love to accept post-metal, there is already a well-established series of post-rock albums which include everything from post-rock to post-metal through shoegaze. Admittedly the line between post-metal and sludge can sometimes blur, but if your track is obviously more post-metal influenced you may be better off submitting it to the next post-rock album. Or you could submit it to both. I don't mind.

When is the deadline?
Haven't decided yet. I'll set one once I see how much interest this attracts.

Can I do a cover?

Covers cause all kind of issues with royalties and copyrights. I'm hoping to be able to release the album on Bandcamp, which has strict rules about covers. So sorry, no covers.

What format can I submit my tracks in?
Again, I'm hoping to release through Bandcamp which means I will need .wav or .flac files. Previews can be submitted in whatever format you see fit.

Does dubstep count
As long as you're stoned while you write it.

I'm in a band, can I submit my band's material or does it have to be just my own?
Material from a band you are in is fine, as long as the rest of the band is OK with it.

What about drone?
There is actually a UG drone album which has already been released, but I'm not sure if there are plans for another. I will accept drone if it has at least some doom/psych influences.

Where/how do you want tracks submitted?

Any method is acceptable as long as the tracks are in a Bandcamp-friendly format (.wav, .flac, and I believe .aif). There's no end to the different file-hosting sites out there- mediafire, dropbox, box.com, etc. Just choose one (make sure it doesn't have too low a filesize limit as lossless audio files can get pretty big).

Time limit on songs?
None, but work within reason. This isn't a Bull of Heaven album >_>

What is the plan for artwork? I suggest that every track also comes with a picture or some other form of visual media, and we get some awesome super helpful UG'er to do something cool with them all.
No plan for artwork as of yet, I'm waiting for submissions to start coming in so I can see if I have enough material to split the album up into two sets, a more stonery/psychadelic set and a gloomier, more melancholic set. If that happens we'll need 2 sets of different but related artwork done. On previous albums users have contributed ideas so that seems like the best approach, though chaos13 had the idea of each user submitting an image with their track which they felt fit the mood of their song (royalty/copyright free would be preferrable if it's going to be used- though it could just be used as inspiration). So if you want to do this, feel free to do so.

That's all the questions I can think of off the top of my head, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Collabs:

I'll keep a list in this post of people who have expressed interest in a collab, so if you want to work with someone else or simply can't record a certain instrument, just look down below.

List of potential collab'ers

NothingRocks (drum programming, bass, guitar, keys, and backing vocals)
Weirdbag (Needs singer)
K'nuckles (Needs drummer/drum programmer)
ma_tt11
eli7121 (Drummer - Example)
JustRooster (Example of vocals1 2 3 )
Mack56
Vince Sixx
chaos13
So-Cal wouldn't mind somebody writing and recording vocals for this. I guess PM him or post in this thread if you're down.

So yeah, let's see how this does.
Last edited by entity0009 at Aug 4, 2012,
Portuguese_boy
1,474 IQ
Quote by Weaponized
Does dubstep count

As long as you're stoned while you write it.
TheTee56
UG'S Banana Saviour
785 IQ
I'd love to see some good stoner/psychedelic music come out of here. It's among my favorite genres as well.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Vince Sixx
UG Member
576 IQ
I'm in. Definitely.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo
479 IQ

Seriously though, I play in a psychedelic band so I may tackle this myself. If the deadline is as far as November or December though would it be against the rules for me to actually have my band submit material, or do I have to write my song by myself?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
580 IQ
I first read the title as Drone metal instead of Doom.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by caeser1156

Seriously though, I play in a psychedelic band so I may tackle this myself. If the deadline is as far as November or December though would it be against the rules for me to actually have my band submit material, or do I have to write my song by myself?

That would be fine. I'll edit this question into the OP.

Quote by OfCourseNot
I first read the title as Drone metal instead of Doom.

There is actually a UG drone album which has already been released, but I'm not sure if there are plans for another. I will accept drone if it has at least some doom/psych influences.
OfCourseNot
There's your answer
580 IQ
Quote by entity0009

Hell yeah.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
I have something i'm working on now that will probably fit with this. I was planning on submitting it to the Post Rock album, it would fit in better here. (Because it's heavy and stuff >_> )
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo
479 IQ
Quote by entity0009

Alright, cool man. I know the other dudes in my band are gonna be stoked about doing this. I don't get back to my dorm till August 22nd though so our song is probably gonna cut really close to the deadline.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by caeser1156
Alright, cool man. I know the other dudes in my band are gonna be stoked about doing this. I don't get back to my dorm till August 22nd though so our song is probably gonna cut really close to the deadline.

As I said, there's no deadline yet, so don't worry about that
caeser1156
Fresh Prince of Borneo
479 IQ
Quote by entity0009
As I said, there's no deadline yet, so don't worry about that

Alright mate

I'm gonna stay active in this thread so everything should be fine. And I'll definitely let you know when we start writing and then when we actually record it and everything.
byob_soad2
ᕙ༼◕ 
492 IQ
would love to be part of some stoner/sludge metal, but I can't actually do anything. So I'll just be waiting patiently for the release
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
I'm in provided i can actually write something decent.
pbiggie
UG's Ground gym leader
326 IQ
I wish I could be a part of this, but I have no recording equipment.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
There's always the possibility of writing something and having someone else record it for you?
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
what about a lighter pychadelic shoegaze? i dont write electric wizard/sabbath doom rock, but may try this out

Shoegaze would probably be more appropriate for the post-rock album, which is linked in the OP. But I'd probably accept something like psychadelic drone, or similar.
Weaponized
1,756 IQ
but really I'm looking forward to this, past UG albums have def impressed me and I like doom for sure so this should be sweet
pbiggie
UG's Ground gym leader
326 IQ
Quote by entity0009
There's always the possibility of writing something and having someone else record it for you?

where would be the fun in that?
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by pbiggie
where would be the fun in that?

Well, you'd have written a song <_<
King Twili
UG's Constable
2,161 IQ
Count me in. TC collab on this >_>
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
K'Nuckles
The president of ass
1,885 IQ
I'm so in. I'll need a drummer or someone who can help to program some drums though - I'm useless at anything percussive.
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^
1,065 IQ
Quote by muffinduck01
I was planning on submitting it to the Post Rock album, it would fit in better here. (Because it's heavy and stuff >_> )

I see how it is.

Steph, can I do a sludge/blues thing like Boris?
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by hriday_hazarika
I see how it is.

Steph, can I do a sludge/blues thing like Boris?

I would love to hear that
Weirdbag
UG Member
796 IQ
Nice, I'm definitely submitting something for this.

And I'm up for a collab!
I can't sing, so maybe someone who can sing wants to collab with me?

EDIT:
Quote by K'Nuckles
I'm so in. I'll need a drummer or someone who can help to program some drums though - I'm useless at anything percussive.

I can do some drum programming.
Last edited by Weirdbag at Jul 29, 2012,
Gorelord666
Lone Buffalo
80 IQ
I'll probably do this. Still got to finish that Split-Challenge first.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
I'll contribute a track from my funeral/drone/ambient metal band to this. It's kind of long though. Is 45 minutes alright? Maybe I'll do something else as well.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please. This as well.
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
I'll contribute a track from my funeral/drone/ambient metal band to this. It's kind of long though. Is 45 minutes alright? Maybe I'll do something else as well.

a 45 minute song? Any chance of a radio edit?
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
I can submit a different one that's a bit better, and only 26 minutes. By better I mean that you can sort of hear the riffs rather than just dgifgisbgisdbigsdigwdb forever.

It could always just cut stuff off though. Nobody would really know the difference anyway I suppose.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 29, 2012,
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
I can submit a different one that's a bit better, and only 26 minutes.

That would be preferable
I have nothing against long songs and in any other scenario I'd love the idea of a 45 minuter, but that could end up being pretty disproportionate to some of the other material on the album...not to mention being a pain to upload as a wav.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
It was originally a wav file, but then I deleted it and just kept the MP3 because the wav was just under half a gig. I don't have nearly enough room to be keeping that sort of stuff on my hard drive.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,141 IQ
This 26 minute one I have a wav file of. It's only just over a quarter, so not as bad. I might just write a much shorter piece, under 10 minutes, just because it's not particularly fun to listen to unless you're doing something else.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

Quote by Arby911

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16

Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 29, 2012,
entity0009
UG's Null.
534 IQ
Ah awesome, reckon you could submit that one then?

Edit: I was talking about the 25min one, but if you want to write a 10min that would be just as good
Last edited by entity0009 at Jul 29, 2012,