Page 4 of 11
Quote by goest
Truth on both accounts. I still hold this album to be better than the last two, but it comes nowhere close to capturing the same response from me as the first three, especially FFTTEOM.

I seem to be in the minority when I say that I thought NWFT was a great album, with YotBR being the only "black sheep" in Coheed's discography. The only song I skip is Radio Bye Bye, but everything else sounds like true Coheed.

And to GA IV: Vol 1, I totally agree. The feeling I got from listening to that album for the first time has yet to be replicated. It was like having a 1 hour and 11 minute long boner, with the most mind-blowing ejaculation at the end with The Final Cut. Hell, I still get a half-chub during The Willing Well II when it gets to the "In the press of you back, do you feel the shore swells?" part. I fucking love dat slide guitar.

edit: Shit, goest, are you really in Lawrence?
Last edited by happytimeharry at Oct 8, 2012,
I like both NWFT and YOtBR, but they're just weak albums when you consider what preceded them. However, a weak Coheed album is another band's opus, so...you know...it's not necessarily a bad thing.

And yes, I do reside in this wondrous city of Lawrence.
Quote by goest

And yes, I do reside in this wondrous city of Lawrence.

As do I. That's crazy. Anyway, if you're planning on going to the Halloweenie Roast and want to head out as a group, let me know dude. I'm going to be meeting up with a couple people from Cobalt & Calcium so it should be a damn good time.
I'm still deciding on that one. I have to work the day of and the day after from 6 am to 6 pm each day.

I'm leaning toward going, though. Because...come on.
You can't miss it. Every Coheed show is better than the last. I really wish they would play here in L-Town at Liberty Hall or The Granada.
Yeah, that's my big wish. I knew a couple guys in KU who had opened for Coheed back when they were first starting out and toured here a few times. They're like...pen pals now.

I want that in my life.
No joke, man. Ha I want to wait around after the show just so I can meet up with them and be like, "So guys, Lawrence next tour, right? You'd sell that out in an hour."
Quote by happytimeharry
I seem to be in the minority when I say that I thought NWFT was a great album, with YotBR being the only "black sheep" in Coheed's discography. The only song I skip is Radio Bye Bye, but everything else sounds like true Coheed.
edit: Shit, goest, are you really in Lawrence?

I actually like No World For Tomorrow better than From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness. The best parts of GA1 are phenomenal, but there are too many songs I could take or leave (Mother May I, The Lying Lies and Dirty Secrets of Miss Erica Court, Apollo I The Writing Writer, Once Upon Your Dead Body). Still a brilliant album, and like you said even the worst of Coheed is still fantastic.

I'm loving The Afterman Ascension, though, probably my favorite since In Keeping Secrets. Still need to download the demos, but as of right now I'm in love with the new album.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Oct 8, 2012,
But....without Apollo I, there is no Apollo II....

WHAT KIND OF WORLD IS THAT!?!?!
Giving all the demos a runthrough now.

The Homecoming is so incredible.

And as for YOBR and NWFT, I love both of them. It was really right when I got into the band that those came out, so I am a little more partial to those than some others, I really think NWFT might be my second or third favorite album.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
This first track is SO good. I feel like I'm listening to IKSSE for the first time again. Here's to hoping the rest of the album is as good.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I haven't listened to NWFT too many times, but I'd say that this album is in par with that, both of which are better than YotBR. After listening once, my favorite songs are Vic the Butcher and Evagria the Faithful. I also liked The Afterman and Subtraction a bit. I've listened to Domino the Destitute a couple times, including with this album, and I'm not a huge fan of it.
Quote by happytimeharry
I'm pretty sure just if you pre-ordered before the early cut-off.

Btw, I'm impatient so I "found" the album last night. I don't feel bad since I'm buying this album twice. I've probably listened through it 4 times just today. It's absolutely phenomenal. My only complaint, albeit a minor one, is that Ascension doesn't seem to have it's own Mother Superior or Pearl of the Stars. Hopefully Descension will have at least one song with that feel to it. I think Mothers of Men is probably my favorite track off the album, if not one of my overall top Coheed songs. It has such a fucking awesome groove to it. Also, I think Subtraction is my least favorite off of the album, at least upon the first few listens. Well, the first half of it anyway. The end of it is gorgeous.

Iron Fist is going to be on Descension, and assuming they didn't change it too much it should be the acoustic ballad type song you're looking for.
Go Bruins!
Quote by Co&Ca11
Iron Fist is going to be on Descension, and assuming they didn't change it too much it should be the acoustic ballad type song you're looking for.

Iron Fist is a great song, and yeah I really hope they don't change it too much from how they've been playing it live.
Quote by happytimeharry
Iron Fist is a great song, and yeah I really hope they don't change it too much from how they've been playing it live.

I heard a version that had drums . It should be just Claudio on that one, I think. Most of Coheeds albums are pretty well-layered with guitars and vocals and that's a great thing in that you can listen to it a thousand times and never get bored, but that song needs neither. Maybe two guitars and a voice.
As for the new album, it's been growing on me. Main criticisms would be the length of the album and a few songs (feels like they could've used another verse/chorus). Some of it takes some more intense listening, which was off-putting at first, but once you get it, you'll like it. It's very nice to hear after YotBR, half of which I consider kind of a flop.

Quote by TheLetheProject
I've listened to Domino the Destitute a couple times, including with this album, and I'm not a huge fan of it.

I was the same when they released the youtube video, but I think it's certainly better in the context of the album.
Last edited by Mudmen190 at Oct 10, 2012,
Quote by Mudmen190
Main criticisms would be the length of the album

Just keep in mind, Ascension is only half of the album.
Quote by happytimeharry
Just keep in mind, Ascension is only half of the album.

I heard it was a double album, not two halves .
Listening to Afterman right now. So far im really digging it, i miss Mic for sure (he was a big influence on my bass playing), but i love having Josh back. Going back to SSTB it's crazy how different the band sounds now, but listening from SSTB through all the albums to Afterman the progression is totally natural and how the sound changes from album to album is subtle but definitely noticeable.

Afterman has that same epic feel as YotBR, but with more of a cohesive sound to it. Really glad these guys are still making music. Claudio is a genius.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Really likin it so far. I really like the Prize Fighter feel in the title track and Subtraction, really cool mellow moods in those. The bit of dialogue throughout is cool too, along with the recurring piano theme. I hope they bring the original theme back on the second half as a kind of reprise (I've been waiting for them to do this for a few albums now haha). Solid album, and cant wait for the next part! Oh and I bought it on vinyl 8)
I can't stop listening to this album. Holly Wood still isn't clicking with me, but the bridge is so good I still listen to it.
I was hoping Sentry would be on this, but alas. Just gives me more reason to await Descension!
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
There's one part of this album that I just cannot stand: the last "hang your secrets" chant at the end of Vic the Butcher. It's just too much. Too cheesy. A really horrible way to end the song in my opinion, especially since the rest of it is so good.
Can't wait to pick this one up, hopefully at the weekend, but been trying to stop myself spending money. That said, im interested in getting the vinyl of it, does it come with a digital download or CD does anyone know?
Quote by BurningStarlV
There's one part of this album that I just cannot stand: the last "hang your secrets" chant at the end of Vic the Butcher. It's just too much. Too cheesy. A really horrible way to end the song in my opinion, especially since the rest of it is so good.

I can see what you mean, but I think in the context of the rest of the album it serves as a sort of speed bump to make the transition into Evagria a little bit smoother.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by jaybals
Can't wait to pick this one up, hopefully at the weekend, but been trying to stop myself spending money. That said, im interested in getting the vinyl of it, does it come with a digital download or CD does anyone know?

I got my vinyl in the mail yesterday and it does indeed come with a CD.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Listening to Afterman right now. So far im really digging it, i miss Mic for sure (he was a big influence on my bass playing), but i love having Josh back. Going back to SSTB it's crazy how different the band sounds now, but listening from SSTB through all the albums to Afterman the progression is totally natural and how the sound changes from album to album is subtle but definitely noticeable.

Afterman has that same epic feel as YotBR, but with more of a cohesive sound to it. Really glad these guys are still making music. Claudio is a genius.

I thought I'd miss Mic but I honestly don't at all. He is probably my favorite bassist but Zach shines throughout the album, especially on Fair Lady and Evagria.
Go Bruins!
I'm sure most of you guys have seen this already, but for anyone who hasn't, Coheed is live-streaming their concert tonight from Webster Hall. It starts at 8:30 EST (4 hours from now). Should be awesome, especially for those of us (like myself) who aren't able to go to one of the concerts anytime soon.

http://new.livestream.com/CoheedandCambria/WebsterHall
Holy crap, Holly Wood sounds amazing live from what I heard on the stream.

EDIT: Josh looks so giddy every time they show him haha.
Last edited by iro-bot31 at Oct 11, 2012,
Claudio with a Strat. <3
Quote by Wisthekiller

Sentry electrified is pretty god damn amazing.

Also, who the **** is mixing this, a child?
Quote by goest
Sentry electrified is pretty god damn amazing.

Also, who the **** is mixing this, a child?

Some sort of sentient, earless goop, I think.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by BurningStarlV
What happened to Claudio's voice? It's sounded pretty rough the entire show.

The mixing on this is on par with, if not worse than, Rock in Rio last year. They're playing their hearts out and it sounds worse than it should.
Quote by Wisthekiller

^That. Claudio has always been just shy of perfect every time I've seen him.
Quote by goest
^That. Claudio has always been just shy of perfect every time I've seen him.

Seriously. He's gotten better each time.

The mixing is amateur hour, and the crowd could've been grabbed off the street for all the interest they've shown... we should all be there!
Quote by Wisthekiller

Seriously. I've never been extremely animated when I've gone to concerts, but send me to a Coheed show and boy-howdy, the emotions.
That was pretty mad. Especially enjoyed IKSSE, as that's one of my favourite songs. No Evagria, but it's all good.