Page 1 of 7

GOAL: You have until AUGUST 20TH to learn a song, any song of your choice, with the instrument of your choice, and record it and upload it (to Youtube, your UG profile or any related site). Audio alone is fine. Video is fine. This should prove some fun and a good time waster and all along your becoming a better musician. After all entries have been made we will judge on cleanliness, accuracy, techniques (ex. good harmonics or vibrato), styles, speed, etc. and overall impression.

NOTICE: Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view/hear the song (ie, facebook, etc)

*** REGISTRATION IS OPEN RIGHT UP UNTIL THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE ***

Thanks to StewieSwan for this:
To export a GP5 drum track as an Mp3 if I just download the song from UG...

Make sure only the drum track is on (mute the others or press the S button on the drum track in GP) and then go File - Export - MIDI. Once the drum MIDI is exported, find it wherever you put it and open it with itunes. Then right click the track and select "create mp3".
If it doesn't say mp3, if it's another kind of format then go Edit - Preferences - General - Import Settings - Import Using Mp3 Encoder and then right click the song and convert to mp3. This is all assuming you have the latest itunes.

There are 5 categories:

Intermediate Guitar

Advanced Guitar

Bass Guitar (I'll split them into intermediate and advanced while entries are being submitted, but if there aren't enough entries I'll combine them in the polls. Or, if you're doing one in each, let you submit one next month).

Other

All new COLLABORATION category! (see below)

NOTES:

Other includes drums, vocals, keyboards, kazookeylele, bottles, or even the almighty triangle!

The COLLABORATION entries must consist of 2 or more people doing whatever instrument they feel like. All entrants for each song need to confirm their participation in order to be entered. -- We might have some carried over from last month.

Don't forget the official UG Group for this monthly competition! Join for updates and news on current and future competitions. Suggestions are also welcome!

Please post the title of the song and band you are choosing and the category you are joining. Your registration will be invalidated if your registration is incomplete. (Bear in mind I probably won't know what BBFSTEDT or whatever stands for)

Post if you are interested. You can also join multiple categories but only 1 entry per instrument per tier.

RULES:
1. Please do not pick a song you already know.
2. Feel free to register as long as you will post an entry by the 20th.
3. The winners get points
4. ...
5. Refer to Rule No.1!!!
6. Profit!

Remember that every note you pick while learning a song this month gets you double -- yes DOUBLE -- your fret miles. (Redeemable at undisclosed music stores -- possibly imaginary).
Learning a new cover song? Feel like recording it? And have people listen to it? See the CATPM thread in the Pit. Here's the user group
Last edited by QPC_Sam at Aug 1, 2012,
BASS

Intermediate

Mathedes -- "Here Come The Bastards" by Primus
Gigger -- Sabbath Bloody Sabbath by Black Sabbath
aaronsutton27 -- Reptilia by The Strokes
Random3 -- Raining Blood by Slayer
Oyface -- Superman by Lazlo Bane
QPC_Sam -- London Calling by The Clash
So-Cal -- Electric Funeral by Black Sabbath
zgr0826 -- You Can't Quit Me Baby by QOTSA
bencore -- I wish by Stevie Wonder
[Your name here]

Advanced

[Double entry due to computer failure last month]
Mathedes -- "Dance of Death" by Iron Maiden (resubmission)
Mathedes -- "The Call of Ktulu" by Metallica
Gessu -- Your Treachery will die with you by Dying Fetus
Trances -- John the Fisherman by Primus
Random3 -- Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero
bencore -- Open Casket by Death
[Your name here]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GUITARS

Intermediate

leony03 -- Comet Song by Dethklok
Cavalcade -- "The Distance" by Omnium Gatherum
damian_91 -- Do Not Look Down by Meshuggah Traces by Vildhjarta
aaronsutton27 -- There's No Penguins in Alaska by Chiodos Reptilia by The Strokes
Oyface -- Guitar Song 2 from Metro 2033
Random3 -- Raining Blood by Slayer Jetpack Was Yes by Periphery
donegan_zealot -- fade to black by Metallica
Zoot Allures -- White Christmas by Bing Crosby
Fatlumpthe1st -- Hell and Back by Metallica
H4T3BR33D3R -- No Bone Movies by Ozzy Osbourne
R_Gallagher_Fan -- Still Got the Blues by Gary Moore
QPC_Sam -- London Calling by The Clash Gentle Rain arranged by Yves Keroas London Calling by The Clash
zgr0826 -- You Can't Quit Me Baby by QOTSA
TunerAddict -- Prófugos by Soda Stereo
oneblackened -- World Of Lies by At The Gates
[Your name here]

Advanced

oneblackened -- Selkies: The Endless Obsession by BTBAM
Random3 -- Bloodmeat C'est La Vie Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero (or Answers by Steve Vai)
dr_shred -- there was a time by Guns N' Roses
Geldin -- White Walls by BTBAM
yngvai satrucci -- Altitudes by Jason Becker
niejel -- The Glass Prison and This Dying Soul by Dream Theater (Mash-up)
[Your name here]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OTHER

S0n1c '97 (Sax) -- String of Pearls by Glenn Miller
Zoot Allures -- White Christmas by Bing Crosby
aaronsutton27 -- Reptilia by The Strokes
Shotgunmerc -- Quarter Past by The Fall Of Troy
ESPLTDV401DX -- 8105 by Moving Mountains
Mother Flame -- Even Flow by Pearl Jam
Scowmoo -- Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero
[Your name here]

COLLABORATION

leony03 & H4T3BR33D3R -- The Trooper by Iron Maiden
Oyface & whoomit & Dwight.Schrute & S0n1c '97 -- Joy Ride by The Killers
[Your name (and your mate's name) here]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The voting threads:

CATPM14 -- Intermediate Bass

CATPM14 -- Advanced Bass

CATPM14 -- Intermediate Guitar

CATPM14 -- Advanced Guitar

CATPM14 -- Other
Learning a new cover song? Feel like recording it? And have people listen to it? See the CATPM thread in the Pit. Here's the user group
Last edited by QPC_Sam at Aug 21, 2012,
Quote by QPC_Sam

Also reserving spot for a song
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
Reserving spots may not work well. Feel free, but I might not re-read your post after you edit it. You're going to need to make sure I know about your entry if you want me to update the list in post 2, and put you in the polls at the end of the month.
I'm going to attempt Comet Song by Dethklok but I'm not too sure about which category it should go in. Put it in intermediate for the moment I think

Also, thanks for hosting I've got a lot to think about in terms of Uni at the moment and I probably wouldnt be good at hosting this month

EDIT: Updated my sig with the new link
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Aug 1, 2012,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'd love to, but I haz no camraz

Maybe next month or whatever.

You dont have to have a video, you can just link to a Soundcloud upload or link to an mp3 on your profile

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Can a song be uploaded via a probably kind of bad quality mic? I don't even have one at the moment, but if I purchase one, that's what it'll be

Or are you wanting like music software edited masterpeices? I cannot deliver that.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Can a song be uploaded via a probably kind of bad quality mic? I don't even have one at the moment, but if I purchase one, that's what it'll be

Or are you wanting like music software edited masterpeices? I cannot deliver that.

Even with bad gear you should get more signal than noise.

Most phones can record audio or video. You can record with the built in mic on your computer. Anything extra you buy is bound to be better than that. But I won't recommend anything becuase I'm not an expert on gear.

We're not producing an album here. If you're happy for people to hear it, we're happy to have you on board.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Ah, I was fooled by the "Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view the videos" bit

I've edited that bit, so we don't fool anyone else.
Quote by eGraham

I use a camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1iVlxsizow
My PC doesn't have a built in mic, but I will buy an external one. Still not sure if you can 'sign me up', as it were, because I'd have to find a satisfactory song to play first.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
B(AD)ASS GUITAR!
"Here Come The Bastards" - Primus (working with a real life drummer-metronome thing)
"Dance of Death" - Iron Maiden (resubmission due from laptop failure)
"The Call of Ktulu" - Metallica (lend me your wah ring Oyface)

Quote by QPC_Sam

Remember that every note you pick while learning a song this month gets you double -- yes DOUBLE -- your fret miles. (Redeemable at undisclosed music stores -- possibly imaginary).

I demand these store names be released at once!
We're all alright!
Quote by eGraham
My PC doesn't have a built in mic, but I will buy an external one. Still not sure if you can 'sign me up', as it were, because I'd have to find a satisfactory song to play first.

I found just plugging an ordinary mic into the computer didn't work too well. But the main problem was latency, so if you're going to do everything in one take you should be okay. The alternative was a USB mic or a USB soundcard you could plug a mic/guitar/amp into. Some guitar pedals have a USB connection, especially the mutli-effects ones.

Quote by Mathedes
B(AD)ASS GUITAR!
"Here Come The Bastards" - Primus (working with a real life drummer-metronome thing)
"Dance of Death" - Iron Maiden (resubmission due from laptop failure)

Which categories? There are only (at most) two bass categories. I don't know if the group will be okay with two in one category even if one is a re-submission.

Dance of death was advanced bass, if I remember.

I demand these store names be released at once!

So do I!!!
The Primus song is easy. Metallica's and Maiden's are both advanced...

I couldn't choose.
We're all alright!
You should take that part about Amplified out because it hasn't been a thing for months.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Oh yeah, me and H4T3BR33D3R are covering The Trooper by Iron Maiden as a collaboration

Quote by angusfan16
What instruments are you using?
We're all alright!
Quote by theogonia777
You should take that part about Amplified out because it hasn't been a thing for months.

Good idea.

Quote by Mathedes
The Primus song is easy. Metallica's and Maiden's are both advanced...

I couldn't choose.

I've listed them both, but I've not really decided on whether we should start having multiple submissions. If I were to choose.... I really want to hear the Iron Maiden track. And you can always submit the Metallica one next month. But then again, half the point is learning something for this month.
Meshuggah - Do Not Look Down, intermediate guitar.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'm going to do two this month. Pardon my Strokes obsession:

Reptilia - The Strokes (intermediate bass, might completely remake the track if i feel confident enough singing)

and because they're coming back and I'm seeing them live this month:

There's No Penguins in Alaska - Chiodos (intermediate guitar)
Quote by Mathedes

no fak of

Whoomit, up for collaboration then?

EDIT: Looking for guitarist and vocalist(?) for collaboration on Joy Ride by The Killers.
Quote by StewieSwan
Sex changes? That's pretty gay

Quote by jakesmellspoo
if you took a bite out of an ebola patient, you'd probably end up with ebola.

Last edited by Oyface at Aug 1, 2012,
Also, sign me up for Metro 2033 - Guitar Song 2 on intermediate guitar.

And I'm thinking, hmm .. Superman by Lazlo Bane on bass. Someone decide what difficulty please, I really don't know.
Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by jakesmellspoo

If I get my Strat sorted then I will do Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero for advanced guitar.

If not then I'll probably do Answers by Steve Vai.

If I do Bloodmeat though, I won't be doing it on bass... sweep-tapping on a bass guitar is not one of my fortes.

For intermediate guitar I'll do.... Raining Blood by Slayer, also for intermediate bass.

I can't promise anything though, I am working pretty solidly for the next month and going on holiday shortly after.
Last edited by Random3 at Aug 1, 2012,
Quote by Oyface
no fak of

Whoomit, up for collaboration then?

EDIT: Looking for guitarist and vocalist(?) for collaboration on Joy Ride by The Killers.

Yezh sure thing. I can probably do vocals for it as well I think
Quote by whoomit
Yezh sure thing. I can probably do vocals for it as well I think

That's awesome!

If no one signs up for guitar, I'll try to do that too. No promises though.

EDIT: Yeah, sign me and Whoomit up for collab on Joy Ride by The Killers.
Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by jakesmellspoo

Last edited by Oyface at Aug 1, 2012,
I'm tempted to enter if I can get my laptop fixed - it's been dead for 3 weeks now.

Thinking something off Count Your Blessings album, will let you know.
What happened to the Random3 & K'Nuckles & Mtshark collaboration from last month? Is it being entered this month?

And thanks to element4433, for making the thread a sticky.
Quote by Oyface

You still looking for a guitarist?
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
sign up me guys, I actually have gear to record with this time round I will be doing there was a time by Guns N' Roses, I assume its intermediate.
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by dr_shred
sign up me guys, I actually have gear to record with this time round I will be doing there was a time by Guns N' Roses, I assume its intermediate.

Is that guitar and/or bass?
Quote by dr_shred

DOesn't there was a time have advanced guitar parts in it? Have only heard it a few times - but I'm sure there was some.
Quote by QPC_Sam
Is that guitar and/or bass?

Sorry man didn't even realise I missed out the instrument, its on guitar.

Quote by a_7_x
DOesn't there was a time have advanced guitar parts in it? Have only heard it a few times - but I'm sure there was some.

Yea Bucketheads solo at the end gets a bit techy but I don't know if it would qualify as advanced (I'm not to sure whats being classed as advanced either I'm afraid).
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Last edited by dr_shred at Aug 1, 2012,