Page 3 of 8
Quote by stratkat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84JjdMfjm8
different link, it's downloadable off my soundcloud, it may or may not be the final version.

Feedback would really be appreciated.

I liked it, that slap bass tone is real smooth. I dunno what kind of speakers you mix on but there's too much treble listening through my Yamaha MSP5s, mainly on the high-pitch lead synth. The rhythm sections are all good though.
I think I might just jump in on this.

Can you make more than one track? I kinda want to do a completely classic style one, and maybe a more modern one with other sounds as well.
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by 12Jim34
I liked it, that slap bass tone is real smooth. I dunno what kind of speakers you mix on but there's too much treble listening through my Yamaha MSP5s, mainly on the high-pitch lead synth. The rhythm sections are all good though.

AT-m30 headphones, and alesis m1 actives. Not the best of equip but it's decent. I was pretty tired, I might mix the synths if I can make it better.

Well, pending an answer to my last question, here's what I came up with. Old-school
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by davrockist
Well, pending an answer to my last question, here's what I came up with. Old-school

Very Baba O'Riley with the synth arpeggio. I like it, but I am unsure about the wind/water (?)noise at the 0:40 mark.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by stratkat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y84JjdMfjm8
different link, it's downloadable off my soundcloud, it may or may not be the final version.

Feedback would really be appreciated.

Nice. Very energetic.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Very Baba O'Riley with the synth arpeggio. I like it, but I am unsure about the wind/water (?)noise at the 0:40 mark.

Thanks
Yeah, it's a white noise sweep, except I bitcrushed it. I wasn't 100% on it either, but I decided to leave it in since a lot of the old 8 bit songs had them, albeit better done ones
Quote by dawgeth321

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by whoomit
That's absolutely fantastic! Reminds me of Super Meat Boy.

Thank you Listening to everybody else's, it's making me really think there isn't a big enough 8 bit element in mine so I'm probably gonna change it.
Quote by 12Jim34
Thank you Listening to everybody else's, it's making me really think there isn't a big enough 8 bit element in mine so I'm probably gonna change it.

Don't change it too much, it's pretty awesome.
Quote by dawgeth321

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
Quote by davrockist
Don't change it too much, it's pretty awesome.

Cheers man Yours is great, the basslines in it are catchy as hell. Your drums sound really nice too, what are you using?

Also with the white noise sweep thing, I feel that it fits but then it builds up and goes back into the same thing again, so it feels like something's missing after it. So maybe add something extra after the sweep or something?
Alright kids I'm gonna try to learn you about chiptunes a bit.

LSDJ
Some Russian kid made a program for the gameboy and most contemporary chiptunes is made from this. http://littlesounddj.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Sound_Dj http://littlesounddj.com/lsd/.
Now instead of spending the money on a flash cart to run this on your own gameboy, you can also use an LSDJ rom on emulators. wut fun.

Nanoloop http://www.nanoloop.de/
same deal, works on a gameboy, made by a guy for his thesis about sounds and music and that fun stuff we love. Same deal though, it can work on an emulator.

^ fuck that rant tho, heres some inspiration kiddies cause the opening post examples sooked dongberries.

KODEX
kodex's bandcamp

Shirobon - Golden Apples

Henry Homesweet-Palm Trance

Sabrepulse - Futureproof (avicii pls)

Sabrepulse - First Crush

Anamanaguchi-Rainbow In The Dark (Das racist Remix)

Da Chip Volume 2. CHiptune tribute to daft punk

Anamanaguchi - Fast Turtle

Ten Thousand Free Men & Their Families - Hey, Ho

/mu/ esstntial list

Ten Thousand Free Men & Their Families - Leaving Home

Nullsleep - Supernova Kiss
Written a new one called Combined Arms, yet to be 8-bitified... Just threw the foundation for the intro together in Garageband since I am away from my home studio.

http://soundcloud.com/demonwolf/combined-arms
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I've been working on a couple called 'Carl Cockatoo 1990' and 'Yellasia World Map' (titles subject to change).

This is actually pretty hard for me. I'm having more trouble with lo-fi 8-bit synths than what I normally use (I'm novice with synth programming anyway; I just tweak free vsts until I get something I like).
Sign me up, I'm down
YOU LIE... AND YO BREATH STANK!

Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Jack White's evil Mexican brother? Juan Negro?

Quote by AmirT
I puke on my dick while I fart in president Rosevelt's ear

POT IS NICE
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I think I'm gonna go back and write a contrapuntal thing, like the old-school 8-bit games... I really like RedDeath's

Haha, thanks man I'm sure yours will be awesome, as usual. (Oh, the pressure is on, now)

EDIT: That pre-chorus+chorus+interlude+reprise section in A Vicious Circle is seriously one of the best things I've ever heard.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Aug 7, 2012,
I have a good feeling about this album. Let's rock.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Would anyone be kind enough to offer their thoughts on the main melody of what might be my submission?

http://soundcloud.com/alex-dragonetti/latinchip

Ignore the lame opening/comping patterns, I just wanted to get something down as a rhythm part. As it stands, I'd like to add a bridge, possibly a solo, and some sort of piano breakdown (with the faux-montuno style used in the B section) before coming back to the head and ending in a similar fashion to how it ends here.
Ryan, what's the ruling on using things like Gashisoft GXSCC? You just put in a MIDI and out pops 8bit.

It really is like cheating, though. Zero effort required from a production standpoint. Unless you incorporated it into something else that you actually had to work on.
Quote by jetfuel495
It really is like cheating, though. Zero effort required from a production standpoint. Unless you incorporated it into something else that you actually had to work on.

But I thought music isn't a contest?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by jetfuel495
Ryan, what's the ruling on using things like Gashisoft GXSCC? You just put in a MIDI and out pops 8bit.

I've been using Sibellius, running the resulting midi GXSCC. I can tell you I've been working hard. And to be perfectly honest, I don't know a damn thing about production, just music. Why not let us guys who don't get that have some fun too?
I guess you guys have a point. I was just weary of it because I know that some guys in the 8-bit community actually look down on software like that because there's too many people who just run something through that and call it a day.

I think it's legitimate because at the end of the day music is music, and it sounds good. But others think it's like taking the easy way out.
Quote by jetfuel495

That's what I did for the first 8-bit version of my town theme. It didn't exactly turn out perfectly though, so I figured I could do it better if I learned all the VST shit and did it myself. The town theme I have uploaded now is the one I did myself, and it did turn out better than the thing GXSCC popped out for me. However, if the GXSCC version had been good enough, I would have used that one. I, too, was wondering about the rules behind that.
Quote by jetfuel495
I guess you guys have a point. I was just weary of it because I know that some guys in the 8-bit community actually look down on software like that because there's too many people who just run something through that and call it a day.

I think it's legitimate because at the end of the day music is music, and it sounds good. But others think it's like taking the easy way out.

It is the end result that counts. It is your own song and you should be able to construct it however you want. It's a bit like being told to build a pyramid, and once you've produced a perfect one, you get criticised for how you transported the blocks.

I did have a problem with some tracks on the VG Albums, when people had just taken the original MIDI file of the song and re-mixed it/changed sounds. That is a lazy way of working and it doesn't really make the track your own.

IMO, as long as everything is your work, how you reach the end result is irrelevant.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Aug 8, 2012,
What did you do and on which one?

I am very pleased with my first contribution (Terra's Theme, VG Album 1) since everything was done manually, playing the instruments. Only the drums were programmed.

Not knocking those who'd rather just program everything, we all work in different ways.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I did the SNES Power Rangers thing on UGVG4. It was this track: http://soundcloud.com/jetfuel495/power-rangers-snes-city-theme

I wanted to do this one: http://soundcloud.com/jetfuel495/donkey-kong-country-fear-1 but I felt like I had too many mixing issues to work out before the deadline so I ditched it.
Ah okay, never listened to the fourth one. Will do on the train home from work.

I always find working with your own songs gives you more freedom AND more pressure. At least it's like that for me, I can not release a song I've written unless it is perfect in my mind.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I release things but then I go "man, should've done this or that..." etc

I've gotten better at it though, so now when I feel a song is done, I kinda force myself into thinking it can not be tinkered with any more.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
In the words of Jari Maenpaa, "You never finish a mix, someday you just gotta let it go..."
Check out my band Disturbed