mikedaking
20 IQ
Cort cr100
Vs
Epiphone les Paul special 2
For playing punk/hard rock specially slash and page's solos

I'm an absolute begginer this will be my first personal guitar I played acoustic only once or twice before so i'm a bit concerned about my first guitar being an archtop the cort well I mean are archtop suitable for begginers or not and will I be able to play flat tops later on or not
Roc8995
250 IQ
The Cort, for sure. Decent beginner guitars. The Special II is very poorly made.

Neither of these are archtops, by the way. The Cort has a carved top, but an archtop usually refers to a full hollowbody, which you probably shouldn't start out on. These are decent starter electrics that you're looking at. It's usually recommended to start out on an acoustic, but if an electric is going to hold your interest more, that's ok too.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
How much is the Cort?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
mikedaking
20 IQ
Quote by RealGuitarHero
How much is the Cort?

In my country around 210USD and its available everywhere. The epiphone is for like 300 USD and its rare
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
120 IQ
Quote by mikedaking
In my country around 210USD and its available everywhere. The epiphone is for like 300 USD and its rare

Wow, that's different. I see those Epi's everwhere but I don't think I've ever seen a Cort in a store.

I can't comment on the Cort because (like I've said) I don't see them around my area. But I've been less than impressed with the Epiphone LP Special II's. They seem to be very cheaply made, even for a beginner guitar.
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Ah I see, well I believe that in that case the Cort is stil a better made instrument. When I was first taking lessons, my guitar teacher and I would pull Cort's off the wall in the practice room and while it was a strat copy, It seemed like a nice guitar. Nicer than the Special II's I've played. I was going to suggest an Agile but I believe that the shipping might cost too much to wherever you are.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
mikedaking
20 IQ
i found a cr250 for a good price

cr100 for 205.5$
cr250 for 295.8$
squier bullet 213.6

which 1 is worth it, all of em are the chinese versions btw maybe not the cr100 but im sure of the 250 and the bullet
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team
10 IQ
Quote by jpnyc
There’s a pretty good chance that Cort made the Epi.

long ago, maybe - recent sorry NO !
robertwilliam9
30 IQ
Wow, I've never heard of Cort. I'll have to check those out. Off the cuff I would've said Epiphone, but from what I read on here that might not be the best option.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
guitarchalk.com
osiris8
Submit Shark
10 IQ
Quote by robertwilliam9
Wow, I've never heard of Cort. I'll have to check those out. Off the cuff I would've said Epiphone, but from what I read on here that might not be the best option.

Cort mostly makes OEM guitars for Squire, Ibanez and others. But they have selfbranded guitars as well.
chargerbandit
616 IQ
My Cort M200 still works great like the first day when I bought it. Changed the pickups though, now it sounds really great.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
Do yourself a favor, go to Rondomusic and get yourself a nice Agile Al-2000

Do yourself a favor and read the thread before you post. He's not in the US.
Quote by barden1069
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash
10 IQ
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Do yourself a favor and read the thread before you post. He's not in the US.

whoops my bad didnt catch that sorry TS, though im pretty sure kurt ships to canada, UK, and puerto rico. Anyway i would go for the cort if there are no other options
Quote by shredder3386
Yup, Addonexus nailed it...
My band
Addonexus
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Quote by Addonexus408
whoops my bad didnt catch that sorry TS, though im pretty sure kurt ships to canada, UK, and puerto rico. Anyway i would go for the cort if there are no other options

Sorry if I came across harsh. Import duties might just put it over TS's budget, not to mention shipping it so far is never a great idea. That's not even considering the extra price of the mandatory case Kurt requires for international shipping.
Quote by barden1069
AndyGray
UG Addict
110 IQ
The majority of Epiphones are overpriced & awful. I'd look into getting a used ESP with Sey Duncs.. much better value for money in every sense.
sea`
50 IQ
Corts are pretty decent. I had an Epiphone Special II for years, one of the older ones that didn't have the transparent finish, and it was a piece of crap. Decent guitar for a beginner, but the frets were uneven and the intonation was pretty shot. Just did not play well at all.

If you're new, I'd honestly save slightly more money and get an Epiphone Les Paul Studio or some such. A better guitar will last you longer and you'll be happier with it. Plus, there's a chance of you reselling it - I gave my Special II to a pawn shop for about $40, none of the other music stores wanted it. Meanwhile a $400ish guitar will probably make you back half that or more if you decide to sell it down the road - nobody wants to buy a shit used guitar.
Last edited by sea` at Aug 9, 2012,
mikedaking
20 IQ
Quote by sea`
Corts are pretty decent. I had an Epiphone Special II for years, one of the older ones that didn't have the transparent finish, and it was a piece of crap. Decent guitar for a beginner, but the frets were uneven and the intonation was pretty shot. Just did not play well at all.

If you're new, I'd honestly save slightly more money and get an Epiphone Les Paul Studio or some such. A better guitar will last you longer and you'll be happier with it. Plus, there's a chance of you reselling it - I gave my Special II to a pawn shop for about $40, none of the other music stores wanted it. Meanwhile a $400ish guitar will probably make you back half that or more if you decide to sell it down the road - nobody wants to buy a shit used guitar.

i dont live in the us in my country the epiphone cr250 is about the same price as the special 2 the epi les paul studio will cost me bout 800$ and its rare so its not easy to find 1 the only brands that are comon are ibanez,B.C. Rich,Dean,ESP,Jackson Yamaha,Washburn,Cort and Axl besides squier that are overpriced like 250$ of the price however corts are even cheaper than the 1s in the US the cr250 is bout 300$
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
Quote by AndyGray
The majority of Epiphones are overpriced & awful. I'd look into getting a used ESP with Sey Duncs.. much better value for money in every sense.

That's not very fair. Many Epiphones are excellent guitars for the money.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
GOLDIE93
30 IQ
Out of those 2 options, go with the Cort. You will be much happier with that in the end.
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
jpcl
30 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's not very fair. Many Epiphones are excellent guitars for the money.

I also agree, though I myself can't get over the headstock shape. I really struggle at closing my eyes everytime I see an Epi's headstock. Other then that, try out several Epi's are your bound to find a good one, or maybe even a "gem".
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
70 IQ
Skip the Special II. It's just a generic cheap-o guitar shaped like a Les Paul.
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar
80 IQ
My sig.
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
120 IQ
This thread is 3 months old. My guess is the OP made up his mind already...
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2