Page 1 of 17
Ian Paul Gint
UG Team
533 IQ
Fellow UGers!

As most of you have already noticed, there's been some major changes introduced to UG during past few weeks, namely:

- news are being updated every day now (including Saturdays and Sundays);
- Lessons section got featured on main page instead of Interviews;
- like/dislike rating system for News, Interviews and Columns instead of 1-10 rating;
- comments upgrades (avatar display, Top Comment, reply branches)
- brand-new articles series like WTF? and UG Newsbites

Let us know what you think of these improvements here in this thread.

If you wish to submit an idea for Tab Pages, News or something else to make your favorite site look and work better, welcome here.

Cheers!
No luck catching dem swans?
Last edited by Ximich at Jan 27, 2014,
Thrill-house
150 IQ
Quote by Ian Paul Gint
News is being updated every day now

Like/dislike rating system for News, Interviews and Columns

Comments upgrades (avatar display, Top Comment, reply branches)

I like these changes.

EDIT: Has the size limit for avatars been changed? Yours is much bigger then mine (lol.)?
Last edited by Thrill-house at Aug 13, 2012,
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
I'd noticed the lessons where interviews used to be, and I find I'm reading more lessons than I used to read interviews.
Quote by Thrill-house
I like these changes.

EDIT: Has the size limit for avatars been changed? Yours is much bigger then mine (lol.)?

Control panel still says 50x50 or 19.5kb for me.
Last edited by slapsymcdougal at Aug 13, 2012,
ErikLensherr
MGTOW
1,630 IQ
Can I get a big avatar like yours?
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Rossenrot
I was in NYC for all of about 5 minutes until I was called a cracker and called out to fight someone.
brndnstffrd
UG's Glassman
312 IQ
I know it said to post suggestions in there, and i did, but im going to make it agian in here.
I think that we need a calender or some way to view news articles posted on specific days. There isnt really any way to do it now, which makes it difficult when you have been away for a few days to catch up on the news. There are those links to choose the different news categories, but you cant see all of the news posted on a specific day, which is what i would like to be able to do.
RevaM1ssP1ss
UG E-Vicar
RIP The Rev
One day Yugi will be mine

Schecter Synyster Custom
B.C. Rich KKV Signed By Kerry King
Schecter Gryphon
Ibanez RG240
POD X3 Live
Guitar Research T60R Tube
Line 6 Spider 3 150 Watt
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^
1,065 IQ
Quote by ErikLensherr
Can I get a big avatar like yours?

Quote by laid-to-waste
you should change the max avatar size to 100x100

That's the kinda update we're looking for, TS.
Lemoninfluence
Masculist
1,223 IQ
Quote by brndnstffrd
I know it said to post suggestions in there, and i did, but im going to make it agian in here.
I think that we need a calender or some way to view news articles posted on specific days. There isnt really any way to do it now, which makes it difficult when you have been away for a few days to catch up on the news. There are those links to choose the different news categories, but you cant see all of the news posted on a specific day, which is what i would like to be able to do.

see the 'updates' link at the top of the page then look on the left.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
LostLegion
32CSM
2,216 IQ
We need to update this version of vBulletin. The most recent one is version 4. We're on version 2 or 3 I think
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by LostLegion
We need to update this version of vBulletin. The most recent one is version 4. We're on version 2 or 3 I think

Damn
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
WhiteStripesIII
Worst Username.
824 IQ
Let's revert to UG exactly as it was in 2006 when I joined. Change is bad.
stepco12345
Banned
269 IQ
Quote by LostLegion

This version of vBulletin is modded and altered so much by the UG team, that an upgrade would lose so much of the work they've done. It's not worth it.

Also, I personally think the Interview section should go back in its original position on the site.
whoomit
1,492 IQ
I think they're all really good updates.

A couple new fun widgets would go down a treat as well
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
Have interviews been stopped altogether?
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

I have the most profile views on UG.
LostLegion
32CSM
2,216 IQ
I don't think so. It's still in the selection thing when you're searching on the homepage. It just got replaced because more lessons than interviews are made everyday.
Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
Without exposure, people aren't likely to agree to interviews for long.

My suggestion is to fix a problem that's been here longer than I have. There's no quality control. I looked at your lessons on the front page today. They're talking modes. They're wrong.
Tom Colohue is a writer from Blackpool, England, recognisable for his integrative descriptive work and his cynical textual mannerisms.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by LostLegion
That's why we have a rating system

The rating system doesn't decide what goes on the front page.
behind_you
Very good!
1,375 IQ
I also would like a bigger avatar
ggg1 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg2 ggg3

Colohue
227 views to 60000!
1,554 IQ
The rating system is also under consideration for replacement. They want to do like/dislike. Also, the way modes are generally mean that wrong information is often rated highly because people look for a simple answer that doesn't exist.

Unfortunately, the forums and the front page are practically autonomous. They don't link together at all more often than not. A large part of the reasons for the community page was to address the lack of connectivity, but then this was replaced by ZeGuitarist's everything good on UG comes from people in The Pit theory and, after being featured three weeks in a row, it hasn't been updated since.

There's always been too much stuff on the front page because this is a very fast moving website. UG doesn't have a particular content priority, and has no quality control because of how much content comes in.

Of course, what with only asking people on the forums for updates, the responses will generally be forum relative, such as larger avatars or pictures in signatures.

It's impossible to address without radical overhaul, so UG doesn't develop with the times, and as staff members leave, yet more come in and try to put a creative stamp on a website that will not evolve.

Good luck Mr. Gint. You are fighting the very definition of a losing battle with this one.

Facebook Fan Page

Twitter feed

Basti95
actual size
2,212 IQ
Suddenly a new mod with a reference to Hot Fuzz in his sig!

cool.
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18513864&postcount=1

-Do not suggest bigger avatars
-Mod has a larger one

lol'd

Speaking of someone those in the link. A reputation system would probably work in those forums like the gear sections and whatnot, but it's useless in the pit.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
DimebagLivesOn
BibleThump BibleThump
1,947 IQ
Well yeah, but you would think that the only excuse to not implement it would be the inability to, which clearly isn't there.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Well yeah, but you would think that the only excuse to not implement it would be the inability to, which clearly isn't there.

I really, REALLY don't want to see larger brony avatars and anime avatars.
sashki
6,579 IQ
I like the small avatars. It makes the forums look streamlined. They're big enough to be distinctive without being too overwhelming.

Your big avatar is unsettling.
Thrill-house
150 IQ
Quote by stepco12345
He uh... Kinda works in the office. I think he can make his avatar as big as he likes. <__<

Ah. The old "do as I say, not as I do."

Quote by sashki
I like the small avatars. It makes the forums look streamlined. They're big enough to be distinctive without being too overwhelming.

Your big avatar is unsettling.

If you like them, why don't you have one?
Basti95
actual size
2,212 IQ
If i were a mod i'd have a giant avatar of Aletta Ocean displaying her everything.

Maybe one of the reasons i'm not a mod.
DimebagLivesOn
BibleThump BibleThump
1,947 IQ
Quote by blake1221
I really, REALLY don't want to see larger brony avatars and anime avatars.

Barring with that, an option to disable all avatars would be neat.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
sashki
6,579 IQ
Quote by Thrill-house

If you like them, why don't you have one?

I like the fact that they're small, especially compared to avatars on other forums, which I think are unnecessarily big.
I never found an image that I would want to have as an avatar.
stepco12345
Banned
269 IQ
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
Barring with that, an option to disable all avatars would be neat.

There is.

>Control Panel
>Edit Options

Scroll down.
DimebagLivesOn
BibleThump BibleThump
1,947 IQ
Quote by stepco12345
There is.

>Control Panel
>Edit Options

Scroll down.