Tmusician
Tab Contributor
4,137 IQ
I've become interested in creating a headphone mix so that when I'm recording someone, I can hear the mix the way I want and they can hear it how they want (hear themselves louder or something probably).

I have a Presonus Firestudio Project and use Reaper. I tried making a track called "headphone mix" but I can't find the headphone output on the Firestudio Project as an option for output.

I think that the headphone output is set as channels 1+2, despite the fact that I have monitor speakers coming out of the back of the Firestudio Project on 1+2. As a result they are connected and I can't have separate mixes. Is there something I'm missing or do I have to get one of those 'headphone amps' or something?
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Yeah, sounds like you need to buy a piece of outboard equipment for that. You have 8 outputs, so you'll route two of those out to a headphone mixer/amp and run those mixes that way.

I figure this would integrate nicely with your setup: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-hp4-discrete-4-channel-headphone-amp
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
surjer
899 IQ
I use this one for the musicians to listen through.. (im not a pro tho at all) I just get what i can afford!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-microamp-ha400-headphone-amp

Also coming out of two mono channels on your AI to the amp i use a Y cable like this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hosa-stereo-y-cable-mini-male--2-1-4-mono-males

Of course you will also need a 1/8" to 1/4" stereo adaptor like this..
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Monster-Cable-1-4--Male-Stereo-to-1-8--Female-Stereo-Cable-Adapter-105769715-i1172780.gc?&source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla&=
Ibanez RG420 w/EMG81 + Dragonfire 85
Ibanez Art320 BLS

Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 75

Ibanez TS9
MXR Noise Clamp
MXR 6 Band EQ
Boss GT-10

My Metal Collabs Page
Last edited by surjer at Aug 13, 2012,
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
does your interface have multiple headphone connections? they may each be hooked to a different pair of outputs. on my inteface headphone 1 is L+R outputs 1+2 and headphone 2 is L+R outputs 3+4. i typically use it to switch between headphones and monitors, but you could do something else with it.
Tmusician
Tab Contributor
4,137 IQ
Quote by jof1029
does your interface have multiple headphone connections? they may each be hooked to a different pair of outputs. on my inteface headphone 1 is L+R outputs 1+2 and headphone 2 is L+R outputs 3+4. i typically use it to switch between headphones and monitors, but you could do something else with it.

The Presonus Firestudio Project only has one headphone output, but it has 8 outputs on the back (L+R type)

Maybe a possible solution is to get some Y cables and connect the headphones to the connections on the back?

Let me know if it is... but yesterday I went crazy and bought the Presonus Hp4 anyway... Hopefully I feel like it offers something of value.
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)
2,713 IQ
Quote by Tmusician
The Presonus Firestudio Project only has one headphone output, but it has 8 outputs on the back (L+R type)

Maybe a possible solution is to get some Y cables and connect the headphones to the connections on the back?

Let me know if it is... but yesterday I went crazy and bought the Presonus Hp4 anyway... Hopefully I feel like it offers something of value.

I don't think that would work very well, I believe there would be a pretty serious impedance mismatch that would either result in barely any sound or blown headphones.

Good call on the HP4, it'll definitely come in handy working with a group of people.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
AndreDew
69 IQ
Quote by Tmusician

I actually tried this on my Firestudio Project. Wanted to mess about with some backing elements on some songs with my band and I was a little upset when I realised I couldn't assign a separate mix for the headphone out. I also have a Duet2 and my drummer has a Firestudio Tube and you can have a separate mix for the phones on these other interfaces.

So I hooked up a Y connector to 3-4 and plugged my headphones in. Works great, just like a headphone out, no headphones were blown. As long as you create a separate mix and send it and/or the click track to 3-4 or whatever other available output you decide to use, it's going to work fine, no need for extra gear.