Page 5 of 5
Quote by T.s.e
WTB core muscles, jesus christ. Turns out I accidentally downloaded the thing for people who already did the 5k goal, so I ended up with this crazy thing with 5 minutes of warmup followed by half an hour of constant running.

Oh shit

How did that go for you?

Slapsy, I find the music pretty cheesy too but in further on weeks you will appreciate it, because Laura chats away about all this inane stuff while you're running and it distracts you from how long you've got left. I find it really helpful.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I hate the music, so I just put on a watch and go by the timings off the website.
Also, my knees are quite sore.

Good or bad kind of sore?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Good or bad kind of sore?

It's a sort of "making granddad noises when you climb the stairs" kind of sore.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It's a sort of "making granddad noises when you climb the stairs" kind of sore.

Racist comments?

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that if your knees hurt it might be a number of things, but often it's straining yourself too hard and having bad shoes. If you're running on ashpalt especially I recommend either getting really good shoes, or switching track.
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 6, 2012,
Are you too bouncy when you run?

See, if you were following the podcasts, you'd know how to avoid straining your knees because Laura witters on about it while you run
Quote by Kensai
Racist comments?

Anyways, what I'm getting at is that if your knees hurt it might be a number of things, but often it's straining yourself too hard and having bad shoes. If you're running on ashpalt especially I recommend either getting really good shoes, or switching track.

Well, I have been known to mutter things about how the 100 yard dash is inherently superior to the hundred meter sprint...
I doubt it's pushing myself too hard; I've been doing these runs/jogs with my sister, and I'm somehow way fitter than her, and have actually been having to keep my pace right down so as not to go too far ahead.
Where I've been running is paved - I mainly chose it because it's level. New shoes... I'd have to look into that, because I'm a little short on cash atm(spent most of my spare cash on stuff for my Strat, and some on my dad's birthday present[a bottle of Penderyn Welsh whisky, aged in a madeira cask]), so those might have to wait.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Ending week 2! Bout to go off on my run after this post. Ok so I caved and had to change my running route, finally. The hills combined with the asphalt were just destroying my knees. Im now stuck running at my colleges track...which is a lot more boring

What time do you guys run, out of curiosity? I usually run when the sun is down at night because im busy all day and its also cooler at this time. I guess thats one perk of running on the colleges track, though. I feel safer running at night.

Also what have you guys been doing on the nutrition side? I switch it up a lot, but one thing that I eat every single day after workout is two eggs and a can of tuna or a tin of herring. I dont do any of those weird protein shakes or what have you.

edit: Back from run. Wow going from hills back to flat surface is such a drastic difference. Felt so much easier. Also just to clarify, im looking for advice on nutrition. Im trying to get better at that aspect of things. Any tips are welcome!
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Last edited by yellowfrizbee at Sep 7, 2012,
Someone stole my running shoes
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Glad to see this thread is still up an running, I was slightly expecting it to die. Sorry for not replying for ages, my hard drive decided to assplode and I wasted two weeks trying to get it to work, succeeded, re-uploaded all my stuff from a PHD and then sobbed whilst the hard drive killed itself again. Humf!

Anyway, this is going well for me, though I've stopped using the podcasts and instead just timed myself. Recently I've been able to jog roughly 3/4km without any real issues, but I've had to slow down a little thanks to a beautiful set of blisters on the balls of both my feet. Ah well, hope everyone else is doing well.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Had one of your hyped up training rounds

It went well, but now I've slightly naseous and my ears hurt a lot. I'm more of a weightlifter than this crazy cardio stuff...

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, I have been known to mutter things about how the 100 yard dash is inherently superior to the hundred meter sprint...
I doubt it's pushing myself too hard; I've been doing these runs/jogs with my sister, and I'm somehow way fitter than her, and have actually been having to keep my pace right down so as not to go too far ahead.
Where I've been running is paved - I mainly chose it because it's level. New shoes... I'd have to look into that, because I'm a little short on cash atm(spent most of my spare cash on stuff for my Strat, and some on my dad's birthday present[a bottle of Penderyn Welsh whisky, aged in a madeira cask]), so those might have to wait.

Welsh whiskey? Is that any good?

But yeah, good running shoes are worth saving up for if you're going to run any more or less frequently. Makes a huge difference.

Quote by Thecla
Someone stole my running shoes

Aw
Quote by Todd Hart
Glad to see this thread is still up an running, I was slightly expecting it to die. Sorry for not replying for ages, my hard drive decided to assplode and I wasted two weeks trying to get it to work, succeeded, re-uploaded all my stuff from a PHD and then sobbed whilst the hard drive killed itself again. Humf!

Anyway, this is going well for me, though I've stopped using the podcasts and instead just timed myself. Recently I've been able to jog roughly 3/4km without any real issues, but I've had to slow down a little thanks to a beautiful set of blisters on the balls of both my feet. Ah well, hope everyone else is doing well.

Har har
Quote by Kensai

Welsh whiskey? Is that any good?

Penderyn is nice. Been a while since I tried it, but it was good. Sort of fruity, but not in an overpowering way. Smooth, too.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Oh shit

How did that go for you?

Slapsy, I find the music pretty cheesy too but in further on weeks you will appreciate it, because Laura chats away about all this inane stuff while you're running and it distracts you from how long you've got left. I find it really helpful.

Just wondering, why didn't you use the DJ Beatsmith c25k podcasts? Way less cheesy music (well, most of the time ) :
http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
It has been raining all day now, I hope it clears up a bit so I can go run. I'm at week 3 now btw but I skipped week 1.
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Week 3 done. This is going by so quickly. Injured my knee even more its busted to shit! Im not very good at this taking it easy and "recovery" stuff.

Ive aquired a knee brace for it though, and im trying to give it attention and nurse it back to health, so im hoping I can get away with not taking time off without injuring it more. We will see.

Stepco's Master
was getting into a good routine, was not too far from my 2:00/500m aim on the rowing machine and was starting to do 3km regularly. Then I gave blood on thursday and judging from the nurse's rushing behaviour and the nearly exploding bag I think I gave a little too much and I've been quite dead the last few days. hopefully, when I start up again on sunday or monday I won't have fallen behind too much.

on the plus side some calorie counting app has helped me shed like 1kg in the past week (had a bbq on monday which hampered the 1.5kg aim, but all that meat made me do 80 push-ups in a row out of meat rage) and it seems like I've generally gained upper body muscle mass too, which is cool.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Hadn't run in years, but I just finished a 7.5k run. Had 3 small walking breaks (2 min max), all past the 5k mark.

I have to add though that I have 12 years of athletics training under my belt, so I still have the correct technique for this, but I doubt there is anything left of the fitness I built up in that period, since I quit that 3 years ago and haven't done any sporting since.

As much as I'm going to be sore tomorrow, I'm probably going to make this a weekly thing at least, since I'm looking to get back into shape and such.
Quote by theguitarist
was getting into a good routine, was not too far from my 2:00/500m aim on the rowing machine and was starting to do 3km regularly. Then I gave blood on thursday and judging from the nurse's rushing behaviour and the nearly exploding bag I think I gave a little too much and I've been quite dead the last few days. hopefully, when I start up again on sunday or monday I won't have fallen behind too much.

on the plus side some calorie counting app has helped me shed like 1kg in the past week (had a bbq on monday which hampered the 1.5kg aim, but all that meat made me do 80 push-ups in a row out of meat rage) and it seems like I've generally gained upper body muscle mass too, which is cool.

Lol, meat rage. That's impressive though, good going.

Work got mental last week - infact it'll probably always be mental now but I need to manage my time better, and failed at that last week - so I didn't go running at all.

I just restarted week 3 today - I was at the end of it but thought I needed to do it again as penance for taking a week off. It was pretty painful
Ending week 4! Skipped three days of this last week due to fever and being sick. Its the first and only days ive ever missed. My perfect streak is ruined. Feels bad, man. Got back into it today, and man did it feel good. I got such a wonderful rush of endorphins during my workout/run today. Love that feeling.

Gonna be running a 5k in my town this weekend, so im really excited about that. This ones for you guys

Stepco's Master
Quote by ChaosInside
Hadn't run in years, but I just finished a 7.5k run. Had 3 small walking breaks (2 min max), all past the 5k mark.

I have to add though that I have 12 years of athletics training under my belt, so I still have the correct technique for this, but I doubt there is anything left of the fitness I built up in that period, since I quit that 3 years ago and haven't done any sporting since.

As much as I'm going to be sore tomorrow, I'm probably going to make this a weekly thing at least, since I'm looking to get back into shape and such.

I haven't been training regularly for like 2-3 years, and especially this year, only been out running like once every other week or something, and never any real distance.
A few weeks ago, I ran an 9km orienteering course (actual running-distance: about 11-12km, and a lot of it in the terrain(forest).), and it went really well, even managed to keep up a fairly decent tempo.

So, my point is, if you train something for a longer period of time, especially when you're younger. You will not loose it completely even if you stop the training. It really shows if you start training again, you get back into it a lot faster than someone who has never ran in their life, even if it's been several years.

Hopefully this is true even if you start when you're older. So all you people in here, if you "fail" this thing and stop training after a few weeks, maybe it's not completely wasted after all
So far behind.... but I'm going to run this morning!

I'll start back up on week 4 since I'm supposed to be on 5 or 6 and ended on 3.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
"Oh look a footpath" I thought "that'll be a shortcut between roads, and a new place to run."

MOTHERFRIGGING AMAZON RAINFOREST IN THE MIDDLE OF SHROPSHIRE. OH LORD WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

HOLY GOD, I live like 25 miles away from you!
Quote by huwford
Do you do 3 workouts a week or one every day?

3 per week.

I've been stress eating biscuits and I am stuck on week 3 as a result. I feel more unfit (less fit? Unfitter?) Than I have in ages. I am going to have to spend another week on podcast 3 or maybe even drop down to 2

How is everyone else getting on?
I had just finished Week 5, but I've started playing 5-aside football on Wednesday evenings, which interferes a bit. I'm wondering whether to spread out the sessions like Run 1 on the Monday, football on the Wednesday, Run 2 on the Friday, Run 3 on the Monday etc, or to just give up on the programme and go for 15-20 minute runs on the Monday and Friday (building them up to longer as I get fitter).
5k in 32:12 am I doing it right?
Quote by lncognito
Rape is a gift of God. Why would the female body deny it?

Quote by whywefight
Oh my god, I agree more with this than all the rest of the answers so far combined
Signing up!

Can't wait till I can get that buggered feeling again, need to get myself some gear, won't be cheap I suppose. It's expensive to keep fit and healthy
Last edited by Duffman123 at Oct 24, 2012,
ran 4km in exactly 16 mins this morning, never more proud of myself
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Only 2 weeks left. Still in it. Gonna try to attend another 5k by the end of it all.

Goin' good. No complaints here! If I can stay healthy and avoid getting sick these next 2 weeks, ill be happy. Feeling a little sick tonight, though, so hoping its nothing.

Edit: Ok so finished this officially today. Woot! Feels good. What the hell happened to everyone else ? Guys?.....GUYS?

Stepco's Master
Last edited by yellowfrizbee at Nov 20, 2012,