Page 1 of 2
Which one cuts the mustard when it comes to metal?
I'm looking into a small head for practice and these two seem to pop up in searches.

From what I've seen of the Krank it's right up my street however the Blackstar always gets good reviews but is it a bona fida metal amp?

Opinions on hese two would be appreciated
If you can afford it, I would say go for the Krank. What kind of metal do you want to play?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Neither. Get the Krank Rev Jr Pro.

The Jr isn't quite in metal territory. The Pro is the way to go.

Why not the Orange Dark Terror or the #4 signature?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Thanks mate, I play mainly thrash to sludge to black but that doesn't really help does it lol.
The Krank is top dog at the moment, looking at Youtube clips the Blackstars need a pedal to get it to kick proper ass but I may be wrong on that.

I'm currently using a Randall RH150 which I got stupidly cheap, don't get me wrong it sounds good but the bass is just too overwhelming, even with bass at 1 and an eq pedal cutting most of the bottom end it's too much to record with without it sounding a total mess but that's another story.
I would agree with ragingkitty here, the Orange Dark Terror is an amazing head with the ability to play the type metal you are looking for.

I know it looks a bit tiny & weedy but it produces amazing tones.
Yeah my mate was talking about the #4 Orange head the other day, it does sound absolutely stonking.
Thing is I'm thinking about buying 2nd hand which kind of limits my options to only a few heads.
Quote by Beezerk
Yeah my mate was talking about the #4 Orange head the other day, it does sound absolutely stonking.
Thing is I'm thinking about buying 2nd hand which kind of limits my options to only a few heads.

Give it time & one will appear. I waited 3-months to get the right used guitar at the right price.
I think the rev jr. Handles metal incredibly well, even without a pedal. It isn't oozing gain like a 6505 or a rec, but it's a pretty gainy sombitch. Even so, I will always recommend the pro, the extra control on the clean channel is worth it. The dark terror would also be good, obviously I prefer the krank (see sig) but the orange is beastly. I haven't tried the #4, but I'm sure it rips
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Baron Snott watt Is what you really want.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
If you have the cash I would definitely jump on the snot watt. One of the main appeals of the Rev Jr. is you can pick them up for 300ish all day on guitar center's used site, but the snot watt is where it's at for small and high gain. Grab it if you can get it.
Snott Watt is cool, but I don't understand the big deal about super low wattage amps recently. If you're playing metal, you don't want all that saturation - You want big transformers and big tubes, for a big sound - Metal tone comes from the preamp, if you can get a little power tube saturation, that's great, but the more you add in, the more loose your tone gets. I'm sure the Snott Watt sounds good, but there's several great sounding amps in its price range that make spending that kind of cash for 5W seem pointless

Go for the Rev Jr + Boost, or the Rev Jr. Pro, both great little amps that actually have enough power to be useful
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Snott Watt is cool, but I don't understand the big deal about super low wattage amps recently. If you're playing metal, you don't want all that saturation - You want big transformers and big tubes, for a big sound - Metal tone comes from the preamp, if you can get a little power tube saturation, that's great, but the more you add in, the more loose your tone gets. I'm sure the Snott Watt sounds good, but there's several great sounding amps in its price range that make spending that kind of cash for 5W seem pointless

It's for bedroom playing and recording. You can't crank a 50-120w amp in your room to get that tone. I'll disagree with you here and say that tube saturation is important for metal. At least for me it is.

That being said, I would never actually spend that much on a practice amp. Well, not any time soon.
Last edited by ExDementia at Aug 30, 2012,
Quote by ExDementia
It's for bedroom playing and recording. You can't crank a 50-120w amp in your room to get that tone. I'll disagree with you here and say that tube saturation is important for metal. At least for me it is.

Since I nearly exclusively play in my bedroom and run a studio out of my home, I'm going to disagree with you there, as well.

Volume is really relative to the user, when someone says "bedroom levels," it's honestly a pointless term - I might be able to turn my amp all the way up, whereas you might be able to turn it up just past talking levels. For the sake of this conversation, though - A 50W amp is only twice as loud as a 5W amp is, not 10 times as loud, as most people seem to think.

Most amps do sound a bit better when they've got a bit of saturation from the power section, but for metal, you don't want so much that it's causing your tone to become loose and muddy. Just because the amp is lower wattage, doesn't necessarily mean it will sound better than a higher wattage one at low volume.

If you're playing rock where you need that saturation, then I'd agree that a low wattage amp in the house is probably the way to go, if you can't turn up too loud. However, for metal, by limiting yourself to a low wattage amp, you're really limiting yourself to a lot of great amps out there, that sound just as good as the low wattage amps do, at low volumes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Honestly I am just recommending the snot watt at this point because I think it sounds better. That being said, I have never seen one in person, so I could be wrong. As far as the small amps craze, it is more about portability to me. If I am going to just do a quick jam with some friends, I don't wanna have to drag my great big old combo or V3 to just hang around and BS.

I think that low wattage amps in general (read: 5 watters and their ilk) just kinda sound bad. I love the krank but even that can be lacking in the low end dept., and it has some of the bigger transformers I have seen on a small amp.
I see what you're saying Matrix. That's why I wish more people made good 1 watt high gain amps. Even a 1w cranked is still way too loud for my definition of bedroom playing. BUT you're absolutely right. A high wattage amp can sound awesome at low volume.

However, I play my V3M on 22w mode with the gain at about 5 so I can get that good saturation in while playing with the band without getting too muddy. I still only have to turn the volume up to 6-7 though. Maybe it's just me, but I love that saturated sound for metal.
A one watt high gain amp would sound terrible. I don't think you do get what he's saying if that is your immediate reaction.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
A one watt high gain amp would sound terrible. I don't think you do get what he's saying if that is your immediate reaction.

I realized I forgot to add the part where I acknowledged his point, edited now. Also, why do you think a 1w high gain amp would sound bad? My cousin has a custom made one from a local builder and it sounds fantastic.
Quote by ExDementia
I realized I forgot to add the part where I acknowledged his point, edited now. Also, why do you think a 1w high gain amp would sound bad? My cousin has a custom made one from a local builder and it sounds fantastic.

Because no matter what you're going to get power tube clipping at basically any volume, which is going to make it sound loose... That was his whole point. I mean if you're talking about stoner/doom stuff that's different, but for modern metal you really don't want power tube clipping.

I don't play metal, so I'm out of my comfort zone a bit here, but its pretty well established that in modern metal you want as much headroom as possible... Because all your distortion is coming from the preamp, and the power amp is staying nice and stiff to keep the notes defined... That's my understanding anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 30, 2012,
Though, I will say ( and MC did mention this a bit) I like a small amount of power tube breakup to get a bigger sound, and it gives me a little bit of sustain for wankery. The one thing I will miss about the Chadwick: the power amp clipped just the right amount when I had my ideal volume, made soloing sound so glorious
Quote by tubetime86
Because no matter what you're going to get power tube clipping at basically any volume, which is going to make it sound loose... That was his whole point. I mean if you're talking about stoner/doom stuff that's different, but for modern metal you really don't want power tube clipping.

I don't play metal, so I'm out of my comfort zone a bit here, but its pretty well established that in modern metal you want as much headroom as possible... Because all your distortion is coming from the preamp, and the power amp is staying nice and stiff to keep the notes defined... That's my understanding anyway.

I think you're underestimating how far it can turn up without clipping, even at 1w. You have to turn it up around 7 to get it to start, and that's pretty loud. He used it for bedroom recording mostly, so he doesn't need much volume.

Also, a little clipping can be good for metal. I turn my gain down a tad to compensate.

Edit: I will add, my band mostly plays in Eb. Headroom is more important when you start downtuning and start getting technical on those lower notes. Not as much of a problem for what I play.
I dunno, I play pretty loud even at home, so I guess I'm biased. I've had a couple Valve Juniors though and they either sounded like shit or had power amp distortion. There was no in between.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Meh, I've played the big brother and was not impressed. Black stars are ok but I dont the really exceed anywhere Except looks (sharp looking amps) for their price market. They have gotten a lot cheaper, so that's good, but I would much rather have something different for the money
Just thought I'd fill you all in, I got the Krank Rev Jr Standard today, really happy with it even though I've only had an hour or two to mess around, happy with the price as well
Ended up with my Boss eq pedal in the effects loop which seemed to do the trick to get the sound which suited me although the variation of sounds which are possible made my head hurt lol.
I did try an OD pedal (Boss OD-3) as a boost in front but I just can't seem to get it right that way, too much treble blah blah, maybe I need to tinker a bit more.
I'm using an old Vampower 1x12 cab which I fettled and loaded an Eminence Texas Heat which again sounds lovely.
Happy as a pig in poo so far.
^ nice. texas heat is a nice speaker, and it's very chunky so even sounds pretty good in a 1x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nice. texas heat is a nice speaker, and it's very chunky so even sounds pretty good in a 1x12.

Yeah cheers mate, I did a lot of reading and listening, it was a dogfight between a Vintage 30, Swamp Thang and Texas Heat, then between the latter two in the end.
Chiming in to suggest a Mesa Mini Rectifier (if you're prepared to drop $1,000).

I'm running one through a Mesa 2x12 v30 cab, OD-9 in front and a 10 band eq in the loop. It's a fantastic amp. Sounds great at 10 watts vintage / modern setting and HUGE at 25 watts.
Nice TS. I love mine, and the texas heat is pretty much my favorite all time speaker, except for maybe those V60s that are in ENGL cabs.
Quote by Beezerk
Yeah cheers mate, I did a lot of reading and listening, it was a dogfight between a Vintage 30, Swamp Thang and Texas Heat, then between the latter two in the end.

yeah i think you probably made a good choice (although any of the 3 would work, depending on exactly what you were after).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
The way I look at it that the Rev Jr. has a very cutting tone, sort of abrasive. It needs something a bit warmer like a Texas heat to mellow it out. I have played mine through a V30, a little on the harsh side to be sure. Through the TH it is just so big, and it doesn't hurt your ears with upper end.
Indeed.
I've tried a few pedals today, it accepts them much better than any amp I've had before. My Big Muff sounded obscenely heavy and vicious.
Really really chuffed with this amp, it's my first proper tube amp and it's exactly what I wanted.
Quote by dementiacaptain
The way I look at it that the Rev Jr. has a very cutting tone, sort of abrasive. It needs something a bit warmer like a Texas heat to mellow it out. I have played mine through a V30, a little on the harsh side to be sure. Through the TH it is just so big, and it doesn't hurt your ears with upper end.

ah right- i've only tried the bigger revolution (and the first, older version at that) and the krankenstein, but you're right, they were pretty edgy-sounding. That being the case i'd say the TH was the right choice.
I personally wouldn't recommend a Texas Heat to anyone looking for a good low volume sound. From my experience unless they're really pushed you hear everything you don't want to (like excess fizz). I've played about 3 cabs that had them in it.
what amps did you try it with, out of interest? it has a slightly grittiness/graininess in the mids that didn't get on with all the amps i tried it with, but it sounded really good with some of the amps i tried it with. I didn't really notice any fizz, but then again i don't mind fizz, so
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amps did you try it with, out of interest? it has a slightly grittiness/graininess in the mids that didn't get on with all the amps i tried it with, but it sounded really good with some of the amps i tried it with. I didn't really notice any fizz, but then again i don't mind fizz, so
6505, Randall MTS (?), my Jet City, and a Dime D100 (Randall RG100 clone). Two Krankenstien cabs and a original-run Dime cab, which claimed to have Heats before switching to the "Custom Design" crap.

They sounded okay when pushed a bit but sounded awful at lower volumes. I honestly think I like the speakers in my Jet City cab better.
yeah the jet city was one of the ones I didn't like it as much with.

haven't tried it with those other ones.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Depending on what you want, that abrasive and cutting one might not be such a bad thing. I sold my Rev Jr Pro to a friend that gigs nightly, and he says the Krank cuts though the mix like a boss. His second guitarist has basically been relegated to the background compared to him.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Page 1 of 2