Page 1 of 2
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Hey,
Im thinking about getting a solid state head.
I already have a tube combo, im pretty happy with it, but I' like to have an stack too (for bigger gigs), so I thought I'd try a solid state this time because I hear some of them produce some pretty decent (new) metal tones. My budged lies a round 400-500 € (about 500-650 dollar). Does anyone know a head i could check out?
Satan laughes as you eternaly rott
Malchius
113 IQ
I seem to remember hearing that Randall have a lot of solid state in there line.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
so that budget is for a head and cab?

why not just mic the combo for bigger gigs?

if you need back line br00tz appearance, just get a cab and run the combo amp through the cab.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
so that budget is for a head and cab?

why not just mic the combo for bigger gigs?

if you need back line br00tz appearance, just get a cab and run the combo amp through the cab.

Of course I could just mic the combo(probably the cheapest and best idea), but I'd like to try a trasistor Tubes can be bitches. Oh and that budged is for the head only...
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by Malchius
I seem to remember hearing that Randall have a lot of solid state in there line.

Really? I thought they only made hybrid and tube tops? If thats true, im DEFENITLY gonna check them out!!
Last edited by FalkFreak at Sep 2, 2012,
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
Why do you only want solid state amps?
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
M3AK
227 IQ
Laney have a couple of options available too. But I agree with Randall being your best bet. Dimebag always used an RG-100 or Century 200 head. If Dime is your kinda thing anyway.
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
1,621 IQ
AMT Stonehead.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why do you only want solid state amps?

Because I already own a tube amp, and i want to try something new
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by M3AK
Laney have a couple of options available too. But I agree with Randall being your best bet. Dimebag always used an RG-100 or Century 200 head. If Dime is your kinda thing anyway.

Who doesn't like Dime^^. Gonna check them out. Thanks
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by JesusCrisp
AMT Stonehead.

I don't like the sound of the AMTs But thanks anyway
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
Who doesn't like Dime

a lot of people.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
IronMaiden76
UG's Krabby Patty
2,300 IQ
B-52 LS100. I used mine for years. It can get pretty heavy. It's in my basement on top of a borrowed cabinet. I've played all sorts of music with it. Of course my Valveking does most of it better, but for what I payed for it ($100) it couldn't be beat.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
Really? I thought they only made hybrid and tube tops? If thats true, im DEFENITLY gonna check them out!!

No they just recently started the tube lines. Randall's were always SS.

Ampeg VH140/Crate GX130
Line 6 Flextone II HD
Randall Warhead
Randall RG-100
Dime D-100 (Randall clone)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by IronMaiden76
B-52 LS100. I used mine for years. It can get pretty heavy. It's in my basement on top of a borrowed cabinet. I've played all sorts of music with it. Of course my Valveking does most of it better, but for what I payed for it ($100) it couldn't be beat.

Wow, a 100 bucks really is cheap o.o. did you get it used or new? What brand is is it? Never heard of that amp before...
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,210 IQ
The only one I'd really recommend (and this is a stretch) is an Ampeg VH-140 or a Peavey XXL/Transtube Supreme 160.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
guidothepimmp
23 IQ
The tube vs ss argument is getting old now.. i have both ss and tube amps and both are great for what they're intended for.

Ironic too that some of the heaviest bands use axefx ..

That said, I'd say randall and laney have some good ss, as do hiwatt and some of the crates... good luck man, there are some really cool ss amps out there, but there is also a lot of shit , just a case of finding a goody
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by oneblackened
The only one I'd really recommend (and this is a stretch) is an Ampeg VH-140 or a Peavey XXL/Transtube Supreme 160.

I heard the ampeg is really good for the heavy stuff, but I can't find it anywhere...
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
I heard the ampeg is really good for the heavy stuff, but I can't find it anywhere...

The Crate GX130 is the same amp as the VH140, so try looking for it also.

Randall warhead is worth a look also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by ExDementia
Randall RG-100's can be found for $100-$150 and they sound great. There's one on craigslist right now in my area that I'm thinking about picking up just because they're so cheap.

George Lynch used the RG-100 in the 80's too. He got some great tones out of them.

Yeah this amp does sound killer, I played it once in my local music shop. But in Germany I only seem to find the 75 combo... Isn't this a hybrid??
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by guidothepimmp
The tube vs ss argument is getting old now.. i have both ss and tube amps and both are great for what they're intended for.

Ironic too that some of the heaviest bands use axefx ..

That said, I'd say randall and laney have some good ss, as do hiwatt and some of the crates... good luck man, there are some really cool ss amps out there, but there is also a lot of shit , just a case of finding a goody

Never listened to a Hiwatti... Thanks
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Crate GX130 is the same amp as the VH140, so try looking for it also.

Randall warhead is worth a look also.

Ok, thanks
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
Because I already own a tube amp, and i want to try something new

that's fair enough, but the big problem is , in this instance, "new" tends to equate to "worse"
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Fenderexpx50
380 IQ
I rocked a Warhead for quite some time. I really wish I would've kept it. It was great for metal, it got really distorted but kept it nice and tight. I still ran an old 6 band EQ out front even though it has one already, but that was a great amp. The RG100s are great too. I really liked the fast attack I got with SS amps, which is why I prefer them to tube.
M3AK
227 IQ
You could also consider the Marshall mode 4. A lot of people talk shit about but I get some nice tones from it. You can get them used online for about £600. I don't know how much that is in dollars.
Fenderexpx50
380 IQ
I forgot about the Mode 4s. I never used one outside of a studio, but they are also great SS amps. John 5 actually used the Mode 4 amp years ago. I figure if it's good enough for him, it's probably good enough for anyone else looking for a metal type tone.

These are actually hybrids, they have a total of 2 12AX7s.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Sep 2, 2012,
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by M3AK
You could also consider the Marshall mode 4. A lot of people talk shit about but I get some nice tones from it. You can get them used online for about £600. I don't know how much that is in dollars.

600 pounds is a little much for me But thanks
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's fair enough, but the big problem is , in this instance, "new" tends to equate to "worse"

I think its worth a try
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
I think I'll get an peavey xxl Thanks to everyone who helped me
M3AK
227 IQ
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by M3AK

Why have you just posted this again?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
If you don't know what you want, then what about a Peavey Vypyr?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
I think its worth a try

your money, your call

Just don't say you weren't warned
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

epiphone316
405 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
I think I'll get an peavey xxl Thanks to everyone who helped me

I have a peavey xxl and its awesome! I can get some pretty heavy tones from it
Quote by timbit2006
Probably right around $3000 Canadian(We have to pay a lot more for some stupid reason...).

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
If you don't know what you want, then what about a Peavey Vypyr?

nah don't like the sound
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
nah don't like the sound

Quote by FalkFreak
I don't like the sound of the AMTs But thanks anyway

Are you sure there isn't a recurring theme here?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
Are you sure there isn't a recurring theme here?

I was just sayin that I don't like the sound of AMTs and the Peavey Vypr...
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by FalkFreak
I was just sayin that I don't like the sound of AMTs and the Peavey Vypr...

...and I was just saying, is it just the sound of those 2 amps in-particular you don't like? Or maybe you just don't like the sound of solid-state amps in general?
EH

FalkFreak
Rhythm Junkie
245 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
...and I was just saying, is it just the sound of those 2 amps in-particular you don't like? Or maybe you just don't like the sound of solid-state amps in general?

No I just do not like the sound of these two amps. There ARE solid-state amps that sound really killer