jbarnes.US
40 IQ
As of now I have a Roland Cube 30x, and I was wondering about getting an upgrade. I would like an tube amp that would be good for Pop Punk and Hardcore. I defiantly will not be gigging any time soon, and want this amp to be portable. (To play in my bedroom and at friends houses). I know this amp wont sound like an Orange or Mesa Dual Rec, so I am ok with it being on the lower end tube amp.

Budget: I know its cheap, but I would like the amp to be in the $300 dollar range.

Genres: Pop Punk and Hardcore (Four Year Strong, A Day to Remember, Saves the Day, The Swellers, Pierce the Veil, etc)

New Or Used: I dont really care, as long as the amp is in decent condition.

For home/friends houses

Current Gear: I am modding an old dean strat (should be done within a few months) but as of now I am playing an Ibanez AX-120. I also have a Roland Cube 30x, as mentioned above.

I dont need the amp right now, so I can spend a little while looking on craigslist. I just want to have it by the end of the year.

I am planning on this being a tube amp, but if you guys know of a good solid state that is pretty good, I will look into it.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
harrisonatsix
134 IQ
I think the best option for you would be to get a used orange tiny terror and add a overdrive/distortion for the hardcore. I'm no expert but when I tried one of these it felt like A day to remember was the sort of band it could be used for.
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
80 IQ
Wait for a used Fender Blues Jr. on craigslist and crank that shit until it's ready to explode. Or if that's too loud, get a decent overdrive to boost it.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Quote by pinheadslts75
Wait for a used Fender Blues Jr. on craigslist and crank that shit until it's ready to explode. Or if that's too loud, get a decent overdrive to boost it.

No, that won't get him close to the territory he's looking for.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
ciadude2
20 IQ
I'd go with a Blackstar HT-5. It's a little bit over your $300 budget but they sound pretty good, and they're versatile. Good cleans and they can be good for heavier music as well.
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker
30 IQ
^ He want's a valve amp.

I second the Ultra recommendation.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
ciadude2
20 IQ
Quote by AtaBorMan
^ He want's a valve amp.

I second the Ultra recommendation.

The HT-5 does have tubes, if you're referring to my post.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Quote by ciadude2

Take your blackstar argument elsewhere. This guy wants help. Not his thread hijacked
Quote by barden1069
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
Is your friend a drummer?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
One is an awesome drummer, the other is a guitar player. I most likely will be jamming with the guitarist more, because he likes the same music I do. The drummer (who is ironically named zildjian..seriously, thats his birth given name) is getting into Blink, Four Year Strong, and ADTR, so I might be jamming with him on occasion.
311ZOSOVHJH
G G A - B A B Y
750 IQ
Quote by jbarnes.US
So you would recommend a combo over buying the head and cab separate?

With a $300 budget you kind of have to just get what is good. I got my Peavey Vypyr 60 hybrid for $315. It has 2 - 6L6 power tubes and a phase inverter 12AX7 jj.

Also, as much as I disapprove of the way Blackstar markets their HT amps I think the hate and steering people away because of that is getting a bit old.

Anyway, I don't know much about those bands you play but here are some things that should be fairly close to you that might be worth checking out.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3246206881.html Vox AD30VT (not all tube)
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3198225762.html Kuston Defender head
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3235724613.html Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3217216745.html Epi Valve JR
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3210535607.html Crate V50
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3190149672.html Bugera 6262
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/3223496367.html Bugera 333x
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/msg/3242391954.html Crate Flexwave
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/3225265150.html Peavey Delta Blues
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3240073939.html Jet City JCA20H

Not all of these are perfect and not all of them are all tube. Mainly did it just to show you what's out there used. I go after that Crate V50. A Peavey Valveking would work nicely too.
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
Wow, thats a lot of amps. If I sell my Cube to my friend (I am thinking 150-200 bucks) then get my next paycheck it might buy one of these. Thanks a ton [long username], this helped a ton! Just to clarify, these are all reflectively high gain amps, right?
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3240073939.html

I am thinking about getting this one and a cheapish cab until I can upgrade the cab in a few months. What do you guys think? Should I hold out for a better amp?

Also, would 200 be a good price on my mint Roland Cube 30x? I bought it for 240, and it has just sat in my room. I think I will throw in a 20 guitar case too because my friend needs it. Good deal?
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
440 IQ
Quote by ciadude2

just because it has some tubes doesn't mean it's all-tube.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Quote by jbarnes.US
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3240073939.html

I am thinking about getting this one and a cheapish cab until I can upgrade the cab in a few months. What do you guys think? Should I hold out for a better amp?

Also, would 200 be a good price on my mint Roland Cube 30x? I bought it for 240, and it has just sat in my room. I think I will throw in a 20 guitar case too because my friend needs it. Good deal?

You will need a speaker-cab with that head. And the JCA20 is more mid gain with a vintage voicing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
Pretty much all the bands you listed, and pop-punk in general, makes use of low/medium-gain valve amps with a hefty overdrive. A couple you mentioned (and again, many other pop-punk bands) don't even use valve distortion at all, just run the amp clean and use a dedicated distortion pedal or rack unit.

It sounds like lazy advice at first, but seriously just look for any combo amps that are being sold in your area. Your local listings will have better deals than anything online. Grab what you can, and depending on how much gain it has then get either an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal to complete the sound. A cranked valve power amp with transistor clipping ahead of it is going to be more or less what you want until you can afford a full-on Mesa/Marshall/Orange head.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
Thanks MrFlibble, thats pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Could you recommend a good, chunky, distortion or overdrive pedal? I want it to have a nice chug when palm muting and just a good overall distortion when playing. Budget would be 100 bucks
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
Well it really depends on what amp you end up with. Something that drives an Orange head into big, chunky distortion won't necessarily do the same for a Fender combo. Some amps only need a light, transparent overdrive in order to push them where you want to go. Others need a full-on distortion pedal.
This is why I say, look in your local listings to see what mid-gain valve amps are being sold near to you. Get a bargain price from someone who wants a quick sale (if you can pay cash then people will often accept a slightly lower price too). Then, depending on what you end up with, look for a OD or distortion to add to it.

Good all-round overdrives for using with Marshall, some Orange and some Peavey amps are the Boss SD-1 (great for boosting an already fairly distorted amp), HardWire CM-2 (doesn't push the amp as hard but has a little more of its own gain) and DigiTech Bad Monkey (standard tubescreamer style of OD but with more versatile tone controls).
Heavier-going pedals that will pair well with bright & lighter amps like Fenders, Vox and that sort of thing, would be the Blackstar HT-DIST (fuller, standard valve tone), Boss Power Stack (more modern transistor tone) and HardWire SC-2 (transistor, but it sounds halfway between valves and transistor).

Of course, what guitar/pickups you use with it also matters. But generally pop-punk as a genre overall is so easy-going when it comes to gear, it's not worth worrying about in too much detail.

All that said, don't discount all the other advice you've been given. Everything is worthwhile and there's more than one way to get to the same tone. You might end up finding out that using pedals annoys you - many people can't be bothered using them - and you'd rather just get a full-on high-gain valve amp. Tones like this are fairly easy to get so don't get too set on one particular type of rig, see what's for sale near to you and get what appeals most & is a bargain.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
I found a single channel Jet City head that looks good for 175. Do I really need a dual channel, or will this single work?

Also, why is everyone suggesting combos? I can spend just as much money on a head and cab seperate and then upgrade the cab eventually.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Sent you a PM in reply to yours.
Quote by barden1069
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
360 IQ
Quote by jbarnes.US
I found a single channel Jet City head that looks good for 175. Do I really need a dual channel, or will this single work?

Also, why is everyone suggesting combos? I can spend just as much money on a head and cab seperate and then upgrade the cab eventually.

People are recommending you combo amps for two reasons:

1. You said in your OP that you wanted portability, and a combo is going to give you more portability. I have a head and 2x12 combo, and they weigh about 60-70lbs each, are rather large, and are not in any way what I would call portable. Combos are going to most likely be 1x12, and let you carry your whole rig in one package.

2. Combo amps are usually cheaper than buying a head/cab and are easier to set up and more "foolproof". If you forget to plug a speaker cable into your head and cab (it's easier to forget than you might think) or plug it in wrong, there is a good chance you just turned your amp head into your new favorite paper weight because it will fry the output transformer. You also have to know how many ohms your cab is and how to set your head for that many ohms. With a combo, you can plug it in and play without worrying about any of this.

On top of that, most combo amps have their internal speaker connected in the same way that you connect a cab to a head (a 1/4 inch jack either on the back of the amp or on the inside) and can be connected to a cab if you decide to buy one in the future. They are honestly a better choice for someone in your position that is inexperienced with tube amps, desires portability, is on a budget, and is just going to be jamming with friends for the time being.

That being said, I really think you might benefit from saving up some more money. You could buy an amp that will work for now with your current budget, but that just means you'll be going through this same process again at some point when you want to upgrade again. Alternatively, you could just save a bit more and get a rig that will last you much longer. You could get a Marshall DSL, JCM900, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, XXX, JSX, 5150, Bugera 333xl, 6260, etc. if you save up a little bit, and you'll probably be happier in the long run with this choice. You wouldn't have to upgrade your rig again unless you changed music preference later on, and with most of those amps, you still wouldn't really need to worry. I understand that a budget's a budget, but I thought I would suggest this as an option.
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
Thanks man. I am thinking about saving up a few more paychecks to get into a bigger budget. I agree that it wold be better in the long run, I just get exited and want one now when it comes to these things. But I can be patient. If I save up, I was really looking at the line of orange amps.
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
210 IQ
Yeah, I mean while Pop Punk is no rocket science there is a lot of guys in the genre today that are running some pretty expensive rigs. Dan O Conner runs an Orange OR50 and a JCM800 in his live setup for example.
While the Jet City is a good choice, you can save up and do better for the genre.
Quote by barden1069
Blakeu224
30 IQ
If you're willing to save up a little bit, you could get a used JCM900 and cab for around $500, which was huge in the pop-punk scene in the 90's and early 00's. but dont expect much versatility, pop punk is about all its good for.
Marshall TSL100h

Carvin Bolt
jbarnes.US
40 IQ
Yeah, I at least need a little versatility for random songs or ideas to mess around with.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
You can do most genres with a JCM900. Punk isn't all that they do; it's all they do WELL, and they do it very well indeed.
They do however have very nice cleans which makes them quite versatile if using them as a platform for pedals. You could do a lot worse for the money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification