Page 1 of 2
hey guys, so im looking to start my own pedal board and was wondering where i should start, whats a good board with alot of room that isnt super expensive? i figured i would get the dunlop power brick and the planet waves cable kit to start as well. i dont need a hard case as i will probably get one later on from rondomusic.com. so, ideas?
IKEA GORM shelf. Get one and use it to make your own.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Don't get the Dunlop brick. It's a stupidly overpriced One Spot. Save a ton of cash and get a one spot, or get a real isolated PSU like a Fuel Tank.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ i think only the fuel tank jr is isolated.
but agreed on the principle.

also i'm not too fussed on planet waves cables (but they may have improved them since i got mine).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by guitar/bass95
Take two blanks of wood and a few nails. You're done.

This. I did it and it works just fine. about 10 bucks for a proper sized board, and literally $1.00 for a roll of velcro-compatible material. painted the board, nailed it to a another scrap piece, drilled a handle onto it, heavy glued the material down. done.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Gibson SG Special w/ SD 59's
Victoria MIJ 60's Electric Guitar
Martin DCX1E
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18
Bunch of Pedals
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Rondomusic sells some that are cheap.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
For around $150 you can get the T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon or the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. Really just depends on how many pedals you need to power.

I'm a big fan of the One Spot - $30 and you can power 8 pedals. If you have a noise gate in your chain, the One Spot should be fine. I never had any noise with it when I used to use it (I had an NS-2).

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
im a little worried about the one spot i guess. it looks pretty cheap and almost like it would blow up. but i could be wrong
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
im a little worried about the one spot i guess. it looks pretty cheap and almost like it would blow up. but i could be wrong

Yeah, I think they would be much less popular if they blew up. It really is just simple and inexpensive, not exactly cheap/poorly made. Honestly, if it doesn't work out for you for whatever reason, then you lost $30. Not a huge deal. I'd at least try it.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Like I said, I owned one for a while without any issues, and I've never heard of any issues about it either. If you want to get something higher quality that's okay too, but the reason for doing that would be noise issues, not reliability issues.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ExDementia

Beat me to it.

If you want to be cheap, you have to make it yourself.
Kenneth
so i went to lowes and am going to get some mapleboard stips and velcro. i already have gorilla glue. do i need anything else?
I recommend screwing stuff together. Gorilla glue is strong, but screws are just that extra bit of insurance that it won't break.

Also, what are mapleboard strips?
Kenneth
ok, and they are these long strip about half as thick as a 2x4 that are maple. saw them at lowes and thought they would work perfectly
Be sure to put some handles on your board or feet or something so you can pick it up easily.

A 2x4 piece of plywood will do just fine.

Also, as far as attaching velcro goes, I would put the rough side on the board itself and the soft side on your pedals. You may have to use the pedal on a different surface some day and the soft side is much less likely to scratch things up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
pine board was wayyyy cheaper so i went with that. and thanks man ill do that im excitd to geT this thing going. after i get it built (which shouldnt take long) all i need is a one spot and them im ready to start my pedal collection
i also remembered i need pedal cables. any thoughts on whats good? i thought about the planet waves set cause they seem to make good stuff. but im not sure
At that length, I would say whatever is cheap. They won't take as much abuse as a regular cable because they will pretty just sit where ever you hook them up. Honestly, I just found the cheapest 3 inchers I could on guitar center's site and bought a mega F&%k ton of 'em. Bought that, a Furman power strip(Got it because it had a fuse in it), and then I got my daisy chain connectors. I am even cheaper than most people here, I don't even use a one spot, I use a Roland microcube adapter to power my board. It puts out enough milliamps that I don't get any audible noise, and I saved thirty bucks on the one spot.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
couldnt find the furman power stip. will a regular power strip not work? also could not find the roland adapter. and then im not sure what ill go with for the cables
Oh dude I wasn't saying get what I get. I was just showing that powering pedals isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be. Get the one spot, some cheap cables. And as far as the power strip, try to find one with a protective so that if there is a power surge, your one spot and pedals are safe.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i think only the fuel tank jr is isolated.

I think all Fuel Tanks (Jr., Chameleon, Juicy Lucy) are isolated, with the exception of the standard Fuel Tank (the blue one), that's isolated in groups.

Source: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Onespot takes less room, and probably is less expensive than 15 power supplies and a surge protector (I assume that is what you mean). It's also easier to organize.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
can you just find those power strips at staples?

Yes, but if you just unplug your board when you're not using it its pointless. Technically speaking, everything in your house is at risk of a power surge. A bad one could even start a housefire in some cases... Its not like that's a common occurence.

Just buy the $30 Onespot kit and be done with it. I've used it for about 4 years now, with about 15 pedals, usually around 8 at a time, and never had a problem.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
also, i have no clue if there is one. but do you guys know of a pedal that can bypass eveything at once? so say i was on the clean channel of my amp and had a dealy reverb chrous etc on. if i wanted to go to the lead channel without any effects would i have to click everything off manualy? or is there a pedal that bypasses everything?
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
ok will do, only place i found the one spot was sweetwater and it was 19.99$ so ill have to look around

Make sure you get the combo pack, not just the adapter.
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
I have an old big one i'll sell ya for cheaps. Its beat up from touring a lot but it would work
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
I have an old big one i'll sell ya for cheaps. Its beat up from touring a lot but it would work

a big pedal board?
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
a big pedal board?

No, a big lampshade.

Seriously, that is the topic of conversation and the thread title, no?
⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸⫷⫸
Airline 3P Deluxe
Martin DCX1E
Bunch of Pedals
Its not the size of the board but how you use it ;P
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Yeah TS don't worry about the power strip if you don't need it. I shouldn't have assumed you need a thousand plug ins like myself No like Tubetime said, get yourself the onespot kit with the daisychain cables (the little cable that has multiple ends to plug into your pedals) and you will be good to go.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
also, i have no clue if there is one. but do you guys know of a pedal that can bypass eveything at once? so say i was on the clean channel of my amp and had a dealy reverb chrous etc on. if i wanted to go to the lead channel without any effects would i have to click everything off manualy? or is there a pedal that bypasses everything?

You can do this with complex midi switching and relay switches, or with a true bypass loop, but neither of those solutions are really cheap or easy to set up. You pretty much have to do some amount of tapdancing when you use pedal based effects. It's a different story when you get into rack effects, but that's even more money and setup.

TL;DR- It's possible, but not likely on a budget.

EDIT: Thought I'd clarify a little....

You can get on of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Keeley-True-Bypass-Looper-and-Switcher-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-H77034-i2057577.gc

You run everything you want on your clean channel through it, then when you switch to the dirt channel you only have to hit this one extra switch to shut it all off. I guess it's not quite as expensive or complex as I made it out to be, but it's nearly $90 for a pedal that just switches... I guess you can decide if it's important enough to spend the cash on it.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Sep 6, 2012,
thats actually very worth it for me :P espicially since i want to be gigging soon and im white so i cant dance
Page 1 of 2