Page 1 of 2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
300 IQ
So many negative threads about gear at the moment...thought this would lighten everyone up! So what about your rig do you find most useful and that you don't typically find on many other gear?

I would have to say it's my ENGL's multitude of EQ options that boost mids or lows, bright switches, etc, etc. Much more than the typical amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
stonyman65
Unregistered User
160 IQ
Delay pedal. I'm all about the echo. Can't live without it. It's not crazy, but some subtle delay can go a long way.

Chorus is pretty useful too for clean stuff.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
240 IQ
That's gotta be my GP-8. It is the central unit that pulls everything together and makes it whole. Wanna talk about EQ options? I have programmable EQ's both pre and post preamp when I want them. I see your multitude and I raise you a shitload.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
AndyGray
UG Addict
110 IQ
I love my Valveking's variety of tones on the lead channel. The Presence & Resonance knobs are so good at minor tweaking.

&

The volume/gain boost footswitch. Helps really distinguish parts of the song I want to be BRRTUUUUUUTAAALALLLLLSSSZZZ
Last edited by AndyGray at Sep 6, 2012,
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
100 IQ
Quote by Eppicurt
So many negative threads about gear at the moment...thought this would lighten everyone up! So what about your rig do you find most useful and that you don't typically find on many other gear?

I would have to say it's my ENGL's multitude of EQ options that boost mids or lows, bright switches, etc, etc. Much more than the typical amp.

Give me about a week. I'll trump your Powerball
ikey_
370 IQ
probably decent power with fairly decent size and portability, fairly decent flexibility for playing at home and live in many different genres, well designed and laid out pedalboard with all the instrument cables for loop / amp routed well and coupled together, allowing me to plug everything in very quickly
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Blompcube
555 IQ
my tuner, especially for those times when i use an electric 12-string

And the old laptop bag my very basic pedalboard fits neatly into is pretty useful - it's not really a part of my rig, but it's very useful to for carrying stuff. I keep my picks, earplugs, cables, spare strings etc in there too.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead
40 IQ
Gotta be either my tele or the footswitch of my Egnater. The tele simply because it's such a versatile instrument. I could get through almost any gig with it as my sole guitar if I had to. The footswitch is quite simple, but powerful, and can usually save me from any serious pedal dancing.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
290 IQ
The active eq on my V3. Absolutely love it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Bloodshed
UG's Delay Wh0re
90 IQ
My Pedalsnake. I never have to hunt for a power plug in at the front of the stage. My line to the amp input, FX send and returns, 9vDC, 9vAC, Reverse ground power, and footswitch lines all go down 1 cable. Real timesaver for setup and tear down and it looks clean having only one cable to cross the stage
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Fish and Chips EQ pedal. I run it in the FX loop because it seems to have a better affect.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
Three things spring to mind. I don't know which I'd class as the absolute most useful.

The FBV foot controller for my HD147, for sure. The wah/volume on that thing is the very best-sounding wah and smoothest volume pedal I've ever used. Opening up the amp to 36 channels, full effect control and a tuner? I just wish there was a way to get it to work with every other amp.

The pedal board/case Boss sent me. I've read some negative reviews of it, but it does the trick for me. It's lovely to have a pedalboard that can simply be shut and carried around like any other case, without having to unplug anything. Very nicely design wire channels too and the height is perfect.

Lastly, my talkbox. It doesn't matter how you use it, when or where, it always gets a cheer. Using a talkbox pretty much guarantees you get at least three extra phone numbers at the end of the night.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
290 IQ
^How is the 147? I have been eyeballing one forever, but I am not sure I would really dig it. I know it is pretty much the "metal vetta" but is the amount of control just as impressive?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
360 IQ
Nothing can trump the 10-Band EQ in terms of usefulness.

That said, I love the versatility of my Vengeance and it's Footswitch. I honestly think I would be lost using any other amp live because I couldn't tweak my tone on the fly so easily. One of my favorite features is that I can set the Effects Loop to automatically be on on one or both channels. I just leave my EQ and Decimator on sitting behind my amp and have it set so that the loop is only on for Channel 2. Really, though, I could drool about all of it's features for hours. That's just one of the most handy. When I switch to my clean channel, it automatically turns the loop off so that I don't have to switch channels, then switch off my EQ and Decimator. I don't even have to step on the loop switch.

I'm spoiled...combine that with the reverb spillover, and channel switching is seamless. I love it.

Now I wanna go hug my amp...maybe Bruce too...
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
I'd also like to add my guitar's tone knob. I used to be like most other metal heads that don't use their tone, but somewhere along the line I realized that you can get some really sweet tones from the bridge by rolling it off. And since I bought the Satch Mo'Joe/PafJoe combo, I'm even more in love with it. They roll-off beautifully.
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
250 IQ
My isp decimator because I get my dirt from a pedal or if I want to krank the unholly shit out of my amplifier on a clean setting.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I K0nijn I
110 IQ
The built in volume knob that acts as a boost and I can engage with the FS. Great feature.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
MrFlibble
462 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
^How is the 147? I have been eyeballing one forever, but I am not sure I would really dig it. I know it is pretty much the "metal vetta" but is the amount of control just as impressive?
EDIT: skip all that, here's a tl;dr version: not as flexible, less options, the options it does have sound better though, it's built tougher, has none of the glitches, everything is arranged in a more convenient way for gigs and it's been tweaked to handle higher-output pickups better than the Vetta did. If you want to play with every tone and every combination of tones in the world, it won't be good enough for you. If you want an alternative & metal amp with much more control and flexibility than something like a Dual Rec or ENGL has though, the 147 is worth getting.

------------------
original post

Well obviously it's lacking a lot of the lower/mid-gain tones of the Vetta and the acoustic amp settings, it doesn't have the ability to run two amp models at the same time, you can't change what mic model is used on the cab simulation at the amp itself (though you can change these by plugging into a computer - or just disable cab modelling and run it to an actual cab, of course), there's no fancy screen to show you what's being used and you can't change where the effects come in the signal chain, they're basically all after the amp model no matter what. Some of the effects also have their modes changed automatically, like it always uses a spring reverb for the reverb when you have a Fender model selected, but it will always use plate reverb when you use a JCM800 and plain room reverb when you use the Dual Rec sound, for example. There's also none of the distortion pedal models.

However, it does make it quicker to dial in a decent tone, it doesn't have any of the glitches the Vetta were known for and they tweaked everything to work better with high-output pickups, so you'll never get any nasty forced ss clipping. Plus, though it seems like only half the amp the Vetta is, when it comes to gigging that's a good thing. 36 presets should be more than enough for anybody and it's obviously quicker than shifting through the 64 of the Vetta. It's also built a bit sturdier than the Vettas ever were, you have to really go out of your way to damage it.
Most of the things you have no control over, like effect placement and reverb type, have all been chosen pretty smartly and I don't think I've ever actually thought "boy, this would sound great if only I could select the other reverb" or whatever. The wah and volume are also much improved over the Vetta's versions, both are much smoother and the wah has an automatic volume adjustment to make it more useful for soloing.
The only problem I've ever run in to is setting delay time, since you either have to tap it in or just turn the knob with no indication of what time you're setting it too. Just have to play and see, tweak, play and see, tweak, etc. Similarly, it's not very well explained how the compressor and noise gate work, takes a while to get used to them.

I bought mine mostly just because I was really into Evanescence when I was 15 and they used them and I love Lacuna Coil who also used them for a long time, and I just wanted to nail those sounds as closely as possible. It certainly does that, in fact I immediately recognised some of the presets and I managed to ask the guys from LC which models they use and matched the missing tones perfectly. It's also a helluva amp for any 80s alternative and pop, ala Prince and The Cure. You can get some really good jazz and grunge tones out of it too, and I've played a few pop-rock/pop-punk gigs with it. Obviously it's not so great for classic rock and blues, but it's still far better-sounding for those than most modelling amps are simply by virtue of being built a little better.

I think if you go in expecting it to just be a cut-price Vetta then you'll be disappointed by the lack of some features. Similarly you'll be disappointed if you expect it to do an absolutely perfect Dual Rectifier impression right out of the box. But it sounds damn good on its own merits and it's more useful as a gigging tool. It's kind of ridiculous considering how many people dream about having a Marshall stack with a big pedal board, but mine barely gets any real gig use because the HD147 and FBV is just so much more convenient, flexible, reliable and sounds good enough that nobody has ever called me out for using a modelling amp until they've actually seen the Line 6 logo.

And it glows purple.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 7, 2012,
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
30 IQ
Quote by stonyman65
Delay pedal. I'm all about the echo. Can't live without it. It's not crazy, but some subtle delay can go a long way.

Chorus is pretty useful too for clean stuff.

this, and an overdrive.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
170 IQ
God damn, Flibble. You couldn't PM that?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
MrFlibble
462 IQ
No, I have U-G's shitty PM system disabled.

Hell, that's a pretty average-sized post for me. **** this Web 2.0, ten-word bullshit.
tubetime86
170 IQ
There is something to be said for knowing how to convey your ideas in a concise manner.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
gumbilicious
beginner
250 IQ
Quote by tubetime86
There is something to be said for knowing how to convey your ideas in a concise manner.

i am still learning how to do that

easily the most useful thing in my rig... pocket vagina. everyone should have one.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
800 IQ
Probably my EHX LPB-1. It's awesome. It's just a clean boost but it really adds some warmth and body to your tone as well as a lot more volume if you need it. It's easily my favourite pedal. So simple. Only has one knob. Only cost me £28 and it gets the job done absolutely perfectly.

I love my whole rig really. It just works perfectly for me. Nothing is ever gunna need upgrading.
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
110 IQ
Quote by gumbilicious
i am still learning how to do that

easily the most useful thing in my rig... pocket vagina. everyone should have one.

Now there's something I have to say I hadn't considered...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
MrFlibble
462 IQ
Pfft, pocket vaginas. Modelling will never beat the real thing.

Quote by tubetime86

Funnily enough my editor is always telling me to write in more detail.
ed for space: obviously not, I write for a couple of magazines. I wish we all had editors on here. Maybe then people would actually pay attention to the ****ing stickies.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Sep 7, 2012,
tubetime86
170 IQ
You have an editor for your forum posts?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Perverockstar69
270 IQ
The gain pot of my amp and the vol knob of my guitars .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
110 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
Pfft, pocket vaginas. Modelling will never beat the real thing.

Now that I agree with.

Although IIRC, you're the guy that uses his modeler as his primary?

Hmmm.....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Offworld92
One among the fence.
520 IQ
My JSX and to a greater extent my Vypyr have absolutely amazing volume controls. I play in an apartment and I aint even mad.

Oh wait, they're 120W, I forgot I can't even play them in a house, TOO MUCH WATTAGE FOR HOME USE.

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
130 IQ
The ability of my pod hd500 to make me stop buying pedals. Really. Saves me so much money. hahaha
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
sjones
UG's Analrapist
190 IQ
The thing I like most about my rig is it's simplicity. It's essentially just my Ibanez RG into a Jet City JCA20H and a 4X12 modded Fender cab (has speakers from a Marshall), which is front ended by a MI Audio Blues Pro for my main dirty sound. The JCA is a single channel amp, so if I need clean-ish tones I just back off of my guitar's volume.

From there, I'll use a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost for leads as well as a wah sometimes. I'll on occasion add in a bit of delay to fatten things up in a dry room, but other than that the only things on my board are a tuner and Boss NS-2.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Page 1 of 2