Does anyone here have experience tuning a piano? My family owns a piano, but I doubt it has ever been tuned, and it just doesn't sound "right". I have read a little about inharmonicity, so I kind of grasp the concept.

My main question is; how would I go about doing it? I don't want to have someone else do it, because I would like to learn.
I know you're gonna need to buy specialized tools, like a tuning hammer. It'd be cheaper and faster to get a trained professional, like a tech from Robert M Sides to tune it for you.
If you don't know what you're doing then there's a good chance you will destroy something. Maybe get a pro to teach you how to tune it.
Definitely get someone in to do it, it's a HUGE job, we just got our piano tuned again and trust me, you don't want to be learning on your own piano, especially if it's old/expensive
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
Definitely get someone to do it for you, and watch them. Might take more than one tuning session to totally get it.
Well the piano is a bit old, but it s not very expensive. I guess I will just wait until I can have someone else do it
Nobody tunes their piano by themselves, everybody gets a professional to tune it (unless your job is to tune pianos). And I think it's pretty hard to tune a piano. It has 88 keys but some keys have two or even three strings. So you need to tune like 150-200 strings. And if some of the strings are a bit out of tune, it will sound horrible.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115