Page 1 of 2
hey guys, so my board is almost done being beuilt and now im thinking about power supplys and cables. i i know alot of people say that you cant hear difference in cables for instruments. but when i switched from a standard 30$ cable to a mogami platinum. i was shocked how much better it sounded. so should i man up and go for planet waves cable kit or the george l's cabl kit? voodoo labs power supply? dunlop dc brick? or just get a one spot? im willing to spend the extra cash if it will sound better. just dont know if it does
One Spot works fine. Unless you're running pedals with different voltages or have one that has really high mA draw where you have noise issues with the One Spot, you don't really need a Voodoo Lab or Dunlop power supply.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Depends on how many pedals you're running. If you're only running 2-3, then meh. But if you're running 8+ then I'd go for the better quality ones. What's more important though is the quality of the buffer your pedals has, people often overlook that.

Also for power, again, it depends on how many your running. For neatness and portability sake, a proper power supply like the Voodoo Labs or the Cioks DC10 is handy. But it's all circumstantial.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
^that's what Adam's first paragraph was on.

How many and what pedals are you using?
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
didnt see the before i posted, and on my board i would have. channel switcher, looper, chorus, delay, reverb, overdrive, wah, eq,tuner, noise gate. (give or take the tuner)
What specific pedals are you looking into buying?
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
I'd be a little more worried about the type of pedal you're getting first than looking at cables.

What's your max budget for each pedal?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
You need to know what pedals you have before the power supply. To get maximum performance you need to match the optimum voltage and current.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'd get pedals in line before getting a board. With that many effects you want, and depending on your budget, I might look at a multi effects unit like a Line 6 M9/13.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
I want a budget for everything; pedals, power, and cables.

And what you want out of every effect you're looking at.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
but i already built the board!

Well that wasn't particularly smart. What if they don't all fit?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
max for everything? hmmmmmm. idk, 700$. and ok.
channel switcher: obvious reasons
looper: was told you could hit it and it would bypass all the effects
chorus:for cleans to add that little spacey vibe
dealy: same^
reverb: same^ and for occasional overdrive parts for solos and rhythm
overdrive: i have a bugera 6262 but i would like something that gives it that saturation sound without having to crank it all the way up. was thinking of an ocd overdrive
wah: would love to get one to use it on rhythms stuff, such as alice in chains riffs and stuff like that. not sure which wah but something i can tweak
eq: really want my sound to be exact and tight how i like it
tuner: prob wont get a pedal tuner, will just get a pitch clip or somethin
noise gate: obvioius
Quote by Eppicurt
Well that wasn't particularly smart. What if they don't all fit?

mapped out the board and pedal sizes of standard stomp boxes and gave extra space
Of standard stomp box sizes, but what if you want a pedal that has the sound you want, but it's too big?
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
with that many pedals in a chain i would definately be hitting up some nicer patch cables. it will make i big difference.

Also, choose the power supply after you have chosen you pedals. although something like a voodoo labs is likely to power everything no matter what you get.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

overdrive: i have a bugera 6262 but i would like something that gives it that saturation sound without having to crank it all the way up. was thinking of an ocd overdrive
wah: would love to get one to use it on rhythms stuff, such as alice in chains riffs and stuff like that. not sure which wah but something i can tweak

As for your budget now, this puts it at about <$100 a pedal, not including cables or power. Ohhhhh boy.

Looper: Where did you hear that? Do you mean a mute, or an actual bypass of all your effects to the amps dry signal? If you mean mute, a tuner does that too. No need to get a looper if your not looping.
Chorus, Delay, and Reverb: Boss might be your best bet. Or Joyo or Danelectro if you want even cheaper.
Overdrive: OCD would be fine if you had the money. Bad Monkey is my recommendation.
Wah: 535Q for tweakz
EQ, Tuner, and Noise Gate: Boss again might be your best bet.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
well i have a looper on my rp500, but all it is is bassiclly you can recod yourself for about 20 secs and then have it play back. idk if thats the same thing as what im talking about. but yes i want a bypass as well
I don't think you can bypass multiple pedals with one stomp without MIDI or something similar.

I don't know exactly what you want for that looper whatever, be you're looking at cheap pedals and cables and stuff.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
That's like buying a set of Pirellis (cuz you've totally always wanted 'em!) and not knowing what car you're gonna get. Or truck for that matter.

What do you mean when you say you "built the board"? You cut the plywood or have you had it machined?Can it be modified in the future? How far are you in to this?
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

So max $700 eh? Would you consider looking used for your pedals? If so, what's your location and maybe we could find some stuff locally for you. It's really your best way of getting quality stuff for good money, cause it's way better financially to just go used.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Adam, did you pull apart your Cioks? That was you wasn't it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No. I said Yianni had one. And he won't pull it apart.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Ah. So much for the quest for knowledge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radial-BIG-SHOT-EFX-Effects-Loop-Switcher-Pedal-True-Bypass-Selector-Brand-New-/251122773159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a78156ca7

Maybe someything like this?

Also, Dan'o Fab Chorus to help boost your other pedal budgets
I've never played one, but many people here praise the Dan'o Fish n' Chips EQ
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

No. A looper and a true bypass loop are completely different things.

Is google blocked where you live?
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Last edited by jpatan at Sep 7, 2012,
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
i am willing to get used. and i want a true by pass loop. thats where it bypasses effects rights?

Ya it should technically be called a 'bypass loop' but some people just call it a 'looper.' That just gets confusing because a looper is generally a delay with a very long time that allows you to create an infinite loop of a sample, like the Boss RC-2 for example. Its one of those terms that is kind of used in a misleading way. Generally the context someone uses it in tells you which they're referring to. You didn't really say anything 'wrong.'

I built my bypass loop for like $20, and it was easy as hell. There's no PCB to solder on, its all connecting wires to lugs... Which means even a novice at soldering will probably fair OK.

Here's a kit to build one, but I just sourced parts myself for a bit cheaper: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?Itemid=45&category_id=7&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=145&vmcchk=1&Itemid=45

Quote by bassmastamitch
I don't think you can bypass multiple pedals with one stomp without MIDI or something similar.

Sure you can. Its a simple circuit. It has four jacks. When the pedal is not engaged the signal goes from one jack to the other, bypassing the other two. When the pedal is engaged the signal goes in one jack, out another, back in a third, and finally out the final jack. Its more of a mechanical device than electrical.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 7, 2012,
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
so if i put that at the front of the chain for all my pedals then hit it, all the others will trun off?

Not exactly. You put it at the front of the chain then run all the pedals in the 'loop,' and then the output goes directly from the bypass loop to the amp.

So the bypass loop has four jacks; input, loop output, loop input, and output. Respectively they will be plugged into your guitar, the start of your pedal chain, the end of your pedal chain, and your amp.

Here's a pic:

So with the pedal disengaged only the red cables are being used. When you engage the pedal the blue wires are added to the chain.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Sep 7, 2012,
im a visiual guy so i really appreciate the pic man that makes sense . i def need one of those pedals then, espicailly since i am going to start gigging and i donte wanna tap dance to turn evrything off
another thing. what are the fx loops for on amps? right now i have my set up like this. cable from guitar goes into my rp500, then my rp500 goes driect into my amp input. am i doing this wrong? i feel like i am
No problem on the pic. Its a tough concept to explain in text.

Effects loops are used to put some of the effects after the preamp. If you are using a lot of preamp gain sometimes running a signal into the front of the amp can make some effects (generally time based effects like delay, and modulations) act strangely. If you aren't experiencing a problem then there's no reason to change anything.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Page 1 of 2