Page 1 of 2
The title pretty much sums it up. What's the hardest song that you've learned, or are trying to learn. So far, I think (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth has been the most difficult for me so far.
It's hard to say. I considered Holy Wars to be hard for a long time but I've gotten very good at it. Same with Number of the Beast.
Probably Resistance. I used the intro/verse to work on my picking speed, and then thought of the sweet pre-chorus part as a reward for learning that.... then I got to the bridge. It's the pre-chorus part, but tremelo picked at the speed of the verse.... it's not possible.
alley cat - seventh wonder
andreas blomqvist is amazing..
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Metallica - Orion, its not that its necessarily hard in a technical sense, its just its a lot to remember in one song.
Tossup between Classical Thump and Portrait of Tracy
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Probably "Dancing Mad" from Final Fantasy VI. I especially struggled with part 4. I still hate it to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-fnJNujuRk
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by herby190
Probably Resistance. I used the intro/verse to work on my picking speed, and then thought of the sweet pre-chorus part as a reward for learning that.... then I got to the bridge. It's the pre-chorus part, but tremelo picked at the speed of the verse.... it's not possible.

You're talking about the Muse song yeah?
Sequoia Throne. It's hard on every instrument, so I felt accomplished when I got it on bass and guitar
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I learned Anaesthesia (pulling teeth) (and yes, I do put an a before the first e, problem?).
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Deep Purple's Highway Star was hard for me in the beginning then I realized Roger Glover played with a pick.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by dark Mass
Deep Purple's Highway Star was hard for me in the beginning then I realized Roger Glover played with a pick.

Highway Star is great to play but theres so many different ways of playing it.

Any slap bass song for me, just no skill with my fingers :L.
Quote by dark Mass

Lol, I made the same mistake. We play a couple of Deep Purple songs in our band and fingerstyle just killed me.

Hardest song? hmm. Has to be Bernadette by the Four Tops. Getting those arpeggiated runs up to tempo locked in killed me. On upright--Tricotism, though comping to Stella by Starlight still screws with my mind sometimes.
Quote by op4blushift
You're talking about the Muse song yeah?
Yeah; so difficult...
Tommy the cat would be up there, since I learned it at a stage of my playing when I really wasn't cut out for it. But I forced myself for days sitting playing that main riff.

YYZ of course.
Orion, which I learned as a cover when I was helping out playing bass in a metal band, mostly so people could see I was actually doing something.

Recently I've learned the Mr Big cover of Deep Purples 'Burn', and it has a mad sweeping section in it. (The bass solo is the keyboard solo from the original).
Wekk right now im trying to learn Jerry was a Racecar Driver, im trying to work on my tapping. I can play the main riff now, just not quite up to speed.
Quote by askrere
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
Working on Catch the Rainbow. I haven't even picked up my bass to try to play it yet because if I can get lost looking at the tab listening to the song on my headphones I shudder at the thought of what would happen if I tried to play it right now. Technically not difficult just, and I'm not sure how to describe it, a bit off the beat which is something I'm not used to.

Waiting in the wings after that is Iron Man and Gates of Babylon.
Pretty Little Ditty - Red Hot Chili Peppers

If I learned it today it wouldn't qualify, but I learned it a long time ago when it was way over my head in skill level. Spent soooo many hours on it. It's amazing how much effort an obsessed teenager can put into something like that.
Last edited by lprubin at Sep 16, 2012,
Working on YYZ (Rush) and You Can't Hold No Groove (Victor Wooten) at the moment. They're both almost there really, just need to learn a couple of runs still. I found Malignant Narcissism by Rush hard for a good while, but it just clicked one day. Oh, La Villa Strangiato too. Rush are quite good for this thread...
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by WibbleWobble
These:

Iron Butterfly's "Most Anything You Want" (still trying to figure it out after 6 years!!!) I have posted a bass tab for it on UG but it's really just the bare bones of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0ajMJg6s4

And also The Temptations "Shakey Ground" it's a lot of slap which I still can't work out :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEt28c6QxTM

may i trouble you for bass tabs?
Quote by jonathan.keeler
may i trouble you for bass tabs?

What, tabs from me to you or vice versa?
Quote by jonathan.keeler
you to me. i cant seem to find any for the shaky ground one

I did send on Message to your inbox. See what you think
The rondo from Mozart's Bassoon Concerto, cadenza included. It isn't easy on Bassoon either.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by seljer
I met that dude after their gig. Him and the singer partied until like 4am while the other band members and all of the black dahlia murder were sleeping on the tourbus. He spoke profoundly about his experiences with shrooms and ayahuasca

That must've been an experience worth remembering.
For me (as a new addition to the bass playing community) it would either be Nightwish "Scaretale", or Disturbed "Stricken" (was about to say "Indestructible" but I can't play it yet)
Quote by pjuelsgaard
Disturbed "Stricken"

That was one of the first songs I taught my friend to play on the bass!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by lprubin
Pretty Little Ditty - Red Hot Chili Peppers

If I learned it today it wouldn't qualify, but I learned it a long time ago when it was way over my head in skill level. Spent soooo many hours on it. It's amazing how much effort an obsessed teenager can put into something like that.

I love that tune--knew it once by heart. After I get through this next gig in October and stop being in 3 bands, I want to go back and revisit that one.
Quote by eddiehimself
That was one of the first songs I taught my friend to play on the bass!

Yeah. Especially the intro riff is awesome. I also like how he kicks in a lick every time before going to verse. I just hate the tuning (my bass does not accept low tunings very well. It becomes almost impossible to get clen notes)
Laquer head by primus. soooo hard to learn but once i got it down, it was on. its one of those songs that people look at you and drop their jaws.
Dream Theater - The Dance Of Eternity (I've actually learned the entire Scenes From a Memory album on both guitar and bass, all the songs there are ****ing hard)
UneXpect - Desert Urbania
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Last edited by adamgur96 at Oct 1, 2012,
Page 1 of 2