Page 2 of 5
Quote by pwnadgebunny

Being Italian myself, I have to agree with this.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Quote by WCPhils
That's unfortunate.

but dat cristina amirite

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Xiaoxi
Best music nationalities:

1. German/Austria
2. Russia
3. France
4. Britain
5. America
6. Scandinavia
7. Italy

callin' it
Come on, put some names next to those countries, I'm curious. Although I personally would like more world music/traditional music consideration in there.
Quote by The Madcap
Seriously, Los Lobos are ridiculously talented. They do a lot of English American rockabilly stuff that I don't listen to, but they know how to keep authenticity when they're doing mexican music, they actually play all those instruments, know their shit, etc. They even produce their music accurately. They'll do conjunto like conjunto. They'll do Son Guasteco like Son Guasteco. Son Jaracho like Son Jaracho, etc.

I'm listening to Del Este De Los Angeles right now and i'm probably going to buy it in like 10 minutes.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
I'm listening to Del Este De Los Angeles right now and i'm probably going to buy it in like 10 minutes.
Quite possibly the best albums of mexican music I've ever heard. "La Iguana," "El Pescado Nadador" and "El Bon Bon De Elena" are my favorites. Also their album "La Pistola Y El Corazon" is very similar, but with more Accordion and Violin. Although you can't download it of The Pirate Bay because that of course it illegal.
Quote by WCPhils
I don't know any Italian musicians.

RHAPSODY!

My ancestry is English so there are too many to list
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by The Madcap
Come on, put some names next to those countries, I'm curious. Although I personally would like more world music/traditional music consideration in there.

1. German/Austria: Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Strauss, Wagner, Mahler, Schoenberg, Berg, Hindemith ....you get the idea. Almost all harmonic/formal progress advanced by these nigs

2. Russia: Glinka, Balakirev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Stravinsky, Prokoviev, Shostakovich. Heavy incorporation of folk music and new orchestration techniques. Oh and Stravinsky alone...

3. France: Saint-Saens, Bizet, Debussy, Ravel, Poulenc. New harmonic approach and textures

4. Britain: Elgar, Holst, Britten, Vaughn Williams

5. America: Copland, Ives, Bernstein, film, jazz, pop, rock. Most amount of stylistic innovations.

6. Scandinavia: Sibelius, Grieg, Nielsen, Janecek

7. Italy: Rossini, Puccini, Verdi. They're good at opera.

Folk/trad music has no basis for comparison

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 9, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap

Ok fine that was a bad call. I'mma put Schubert instead. Dat remote modulation

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ok fine that was a bad call. I'mma put Schubert instead. Dat remote modulation
I can't tell the difference (although I haven't gone out of my way to listen to them). All I know is that I've been to dozens and dozens of classical concerts, and whenever I see Schumann or Schubert on a program, I sigh. I've yet to hear anything I'm not completely bored by with those two composers. They're really the only two composers I can say that for. I can't say I've been the biggest Brahms fan (also haven't gone out of my way to listen to him), but I saw one of his violin sonatas the other day and liked it a lot. And a girl played piano for me and did Brahms' Intermezzo and that was pretty enjoyable.
Quote by The Madcap
I can't tell the difference (although I haven't gone out of my way to listen to them). All I know is that I've been to dozens and dozens of classical concerts, and whenever I see Schumann or Schubert on a program, I sigh. I've yet to hear anything I'm not completely bored by with those two composers. They're really the only two composers I can say that for. I can't say I've been the biggest Brahms fan (also haven't gone out of my way to listen to him), but I saw one of his violin sonatas the other day and liked it a lot. And a girl played piano for me and did Brahms' Intermezzo and that was pretty enjoyable.

LOL Schubert and Schumann are SO different. Schubert is mainly a song guy. His music has shitloads of sudden modulations to distant keys. Schumann is more contemplative instrumental music.

I feel like Brahms is a composer's composer. His music is just soooooooooooo fucking tasteful and humanizing. And it always has this dark, rich ebony quality in the writing and orchestration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxaAPRVK3lc
2 gud 2 gud
(I'm gonna do a huge analysis on this soon. Maybe then you will realize the fooking fury that is Brahms)

Quote by The Madcap
Xiaoxi, do you like the Spanish composers? Albeniz, De Falla, Granados, Turina, etc.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

2. Russia: Glinka, Balakirev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky, Stravinsky, Prokoviev, Shostakovich. Heavy incorporation of folk music and new orchestration techniques. Oh and Stravinsky alone...

Do you like Rachmaninoff?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by WCPhils
Do you like Rachmaninoff?

mmeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's too.....wild and disorganized for me.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm French/American. Instead of choosing an American... I love the french composer Fauré?

Modern guys... Adagio/Stephane Forté?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Best music nationality:

1. German

German
Who couldn't love that gem?
Last edited by Jacques-Henri at Sep 9, 2012,
Quote by Xiaoxi
mmeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's too.....wild and disorganized for me.

Yea, that's kind of why I like him. His stuff is fun to play. (Well, what I can play that is.)

Quote by The Madcap
Oh Jesus, here it comes.

I saw!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 9, 2012,
Quote by captaincrunk
nice edit, racist

Quote by WCPhils
Yea, that's kind of why I like him. His stuff is fun to play.

Yeah I see the appeal. But I like more...controlled wildness like in Stravinsky and Prokofiev.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, that's kind of why I like him. His stuff is fun to play. (Well, what I can play that is.)

I haven't had a piano for two months. I really wish I did now.

Xiaoxi, I have a question. I know about composers but who are your favourite interpretors/performers. It's hard for me to seriously get into classical music because I don't really know any.
Quote by Jacques-Henri
I
German
Who couldn't love that gem?

As soon as I saw the name, I got the idea. QUICK, someone make a metal band out of it. Such a br00tal name.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Tommy Emmanuel.

Yeah. Top that.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by slipknot5678

Xiaoxi, I have a question. I know about composers but who are your favourite interpretors/performers. It's hard for me to seriously get into classical music because I don't really know any.

Piano: Glenn Gould, Sviatoslav Richter, Arthur Rubenstein, Andras Schiff

Violin: Henryk Szeryng, David Oistrakh, Hilary Hahn, Jascha Heifetz, Itzak Perlman, Isaac Stern

other instruments I don't know enough people and they all generally sound fine to me

Orchestras/Conductors: London Symphony Orchestra, Berlin Philharmonic, Boston Symphony Orchestra. Conductors...oh god I'm having a brain freeze...there are so many but none are coming to my head. They make a huge difference too.

As for getting into classical...can't help you there. It ain't my place to do that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by captaincrunk
that might be the least impressive artist on this page

Not a chance.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Xiaoxi
Piano: Glenn Gould, Sviatoslav Richter, Arthur Rubenstein, Andras Schiff

Violin: Henryk Szeryng, David Oistrakh, Hilary Hahn, Jascha Heifetz, Itzak Perlman, Isaac Stern

other instruments I don't know enough people and they all generally sound fine to me

Orchestras/Conductors: London Symphony Orchestra, Berlin Philharmonic, Boston Symphony Orchestra. Conductors...oh god I'm having a brain freeze...there are so many but none are coming to my head. They make a huge difference too.

As for getting into classical...can't help you there. It ain't my place to do that.

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the piano music so I'm fine with what you gave me. I'll be listening to lots of classical music tonight. I'm just using classical music as an umbrella term by the way, if that's what you mean by the last part.
Quote by slipknot5678
Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the piano music so I'm fine with what you gave me. I'll be listening to lots of classical music tonight. I'm just using classical music as an umbrella term by the way, if that's what you mean by the last part.

I just mean it's better for yourself to figure out.

Although here's sum gud pianoz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDTnSMPCM4

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by captaincrunk
hey Xaoxi, is Tommy Emmanuel better than Brahms, or is seeny just silly?

Let's put it this way...Brahms can beat Emmanuel in an aviator wearing contest.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Let's put it this way...Brahms can beat Emmanuel in an aviator wearing contest.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH