Page 1 of 2
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
This is a really common but nonetheless important quest, to find an amp powerful enough for small gigs without breaking the bank of a student (or anyone else who can't write it off as a work expense.) So in this thread I'd like to compile a list of all the reasonably priced and reasonably powerful gigging amps that include a head + cab or combo. If we call reasonably powerful at least 300w (the standard amount to compete with a drummer) more in a punk or metal band. Reasonably priced is £300 to £700 in my mind, as much as you'd spend on a bass worthy of gigging.

Notes:
I'm using British prices because I'm British.
When I say hybrid, I mean any amp using a combination of valves and solid state. Usually a solid state power amp and a valve preamp.
Any opinions I offer are just that, opinions. If you have a differing opinion then I will quote it under the paragraph because I'm nice like that.
This is similar to a section in the FAQ but I'd like to include more discussion and opinions.

I'll post what I find but I'm looking for feedback, past experiences and recommendations for genres, etc.

1. Ashdown MAG Series.
The first port of call for UK bassists on budget. Very affordable, reasonably reliable and tone that experts call "**** it, it'll do."
With the MAG series, you can get a 300w head and matching cab (210, 410, 115) for well under £500. The 300w "Evo" head being roughly £250 while the cabs are around £200, depending on which you go for. They also offer combos which are cheaper than buying the head and cab separately but suffer from the usual combo problems of poor portability and the joint ****ness if one part breaks.

2. Acoustic B Series.
A different company altogether but essentially the American equivalent of Ashdown. The B series caters to all budgets including the aforementioned student/casual budget, this being the B300h, a 300w head and 410 cab (at roughly $350) or a 450w/210 combo at the same price. Both are nearly impossible to find in the UK and Europe as they are Guitar Centre's house brand.
Quote by Nutter_101
Interestingly enough, Acoustic amps are just rebranded Kustom amps for Guitar Center.

3. Behringer/Bugera.
A risky one. Most people think they're crap but others swear by them. I have nothing nice to say about them so I shan't say anything. If anyone would like to say a few words in their favour, I shall quote it into this.
Quote by corrda00
Behringer are decent. They get the job done. Its good if you're not a full time bassist. But I find if you want to be more serious you should get something else. Their Amps are actually pretty good in my experience but thier cabs are horrid.

4. Hartke.
A brand I'm particularly familiar with. Hartke offer two heads within price range: The HA3500, a 350w hybrid state head with a nice EQ and compressor and the LH-500, a 500w hybrid head with more wattage but (in my opinion) a poor 3 band EQ and worse limiter and compressor (this was the amp of choice on my music course last year.) Both are £200-£300 which is very cheap considering the wattage and features. However, Hartke's cabs are more pricey, possibly because of their signature aluminium speaker cones. Cabs, paper and aluminum alike, range from £250ish to £500ish.
Quote by ScottB.
If you're considering the Hartke LH500 don't let the EQ put you off. It's very different from an active EQ but once you know how to use it the amp comes into its own. I start off with the knobs set give a flat EQ (which is definitely not 12 o'clock) and adjust from there to accommodate for the way the room sounds.

5. Kustom.
Renown for their most-excellent practise amps (after the bombs drop, the cockroaches will be playing through KBA10s) but also do very cheap gigging amps. Thomann has various bundles using the Kustom DE300 HD, a 300w hybrid amp with an 810 (£460), a 115 (£305), a 410 (£340), a 410 and 115 (£460) and a 610 (£460). I've no experience with these but if they are reliable then these prices make them ideal for budgeting bassists.
Quote by Nutter_101
Interestingly enough, Acoustic amps are just rebranded Kustom amps for Guitar Center.

I would take this as a vote of confidence for the Kustom bundles!

6. Ampeg.
The heavyweights of the bass amp world with a name that attracts a big price tag. The options are the PF350 and PF500, £660 and £750 respectively with matching cabs. They're decent solid state amps and sound quite nice but they're really expensive compared to the other options of the same wattage, considering they aren't exactly a boutique brand. The other option is a BA300 in either 210 or 115 configuration. Both are bog standard combos but both have >£600 pricetags. Again, in my opinion, this is too much for a simple amp; then again, some people need that Ampeg brand name.

7. Peavey.
Absolute tank, no pub in England is without a house Peavey for the bassist (usually a keyboard amp though.) Modern day Peaveys are not so cheap but they were certainly last.
Quote by Tostitos
I've had good experiences demo-ing the newer Peavey Tour TKO/TNT 115's ($450 and $550 new respectively). Fairly nice 400 and 600 watt 1x15 combos, with headphone outputs (a good feature if you're living in an apartment or somewhere with thin walls), speaker outs, and a load of other features one may or may not find handy.

8. Gallien Kreuger.
Very broad range of prices and wattage from the MB and RB series, the MB being the more wallet friendly series and the RB being larger and more expensive (the cheapest being the 400RB for roughly £500.) The MB series come in 200w (for £200) and 500w (for £300-£400), 200w is considered to weak to compete with a drummer live aside from things like folk and jazz.

9. Traynor.
An old brand making a comeback. So far the only affordable head I can find actually for sale (new) is the DB300H which is a 300w, solid state amp. This brand is know for affordable tube/hybrid amps so watch this space.

10. Laney.
Warning, opinion: I greatly dislike Laney amplifiers, if you can get a Laney combo to sound good then you are most likely a wizard. For £450 you can get a Laney RB9 (300w solid state head, £200) and a matching 410 cab (Laney RB410, £250) and have a pile of shite reliable rig powerful enough for gigging but no one will play with you because they sound like shit. As cheap as Behringer but with less QC problems.

11. TC Electronic
Probably stretches your budget a bit but well worth it for the features they come with. They have two budget amps, the BH500 and the BH250. The BH500, for only £350, gives you 500w of power, a multiband (string?) compressor, distortion, tuner and pretty much every feature you'd expect on an amp twice the price, for another £350 you can have a 410 cab to go with it. This makes £700 which is probably as far as budget can go but this rig is versatile and powerful so will probably mean you don't need another until you're rich and famous, playing stadiums. The BH250 has different features, its only 250w has a simple 3 band EQ and tuner but also comes with Toneprint, meaning you can upload effects onto the amp using your phone through your pickups which is downright bizarre. Not bad for less than £250 but its going to have trouble being loud enough for big gigs, its certainly not going to be enough for metal or punk.
Quote by fleajr_1412
I can vouch for TC Electronic's BH500. I use it for rehearsals and gigs and it's excellent. 500 watts of power, 3 programmable presets, powerful EQ, built like a tank and fairly cheap (I bought mine brand new for £350). Definitely worth a try.

12. Marshall
Not very popular within the bass world, not awful but nothing special from what I've heard. A Marshall MB450H (£350) and MBC410 (£300) will give you the power to play any gig but £650 is a lot to ask for a rig so plain.

13. Fender
Fender's budget amp line is the Rumble series. £300 will get you a 350w head with basic EQing and not much else and another £250 will get you a matching 410 cab.

14. Warwick
£300 will get you a WA300, a 300w amp with a compressor with a 3-band and 10-band eq, not bad. The cheapest 410 cab I could find was over £300 so you may be best looking to other brands for cabs. (If you want a cheap cab to go with a decent head then look at Ashdown or Kustom/Acoustic, they're not special but they do the job.)

Any more brands?
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 24, 2012,
Tostitos
caffeinated
868 IQ
I've had good experiences demo-ing the newer Peavey Tour TKO/TNT 115's ($450 and $550 new respectively). Fairly nice 400 and 600 watt 1x15 combos, with headphone outputs (a good feature if you're living in an apartment or somewhere with thin walls), speaker outs, and a load of other features one may or may not find handy.

Are we taking used gear/prices into consideration, or does that get too hazy and limited by availability for what this thread is meant to accomplish?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
corrda00
Unregistered User
3,069 IQ
Berhinger are decent. They get the job done. Its good if you're not a full time bassist (eg a guitarist that play bass). But I find if you want to be more serious you should get something else.
Thier Amps are actually pretty good in my experience but thier cabs are horrid.

Hartke is a nice brand too. I use hartke stuff and I love it. The LH500 and 1000 are the most watts you can get at a reasonable price.
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
I've got an Eden Nemesis and it falls about into your price range. Loud enough, though I suspect a cab or a different speaker setup would be louder than my 1x15" combo . The controls are simple, I just leave the EQ flat center, use the "enhance" control to taste (which is basically a magical mid scoop knob) and leave the compression on. If I feel the need to tinker I use the controls on my bass or if I'm feeling adventurous, the parametric EQ which is a nice feature for an amp.

I got it at a decent priced used though. Purchasing a new amp I'd probably would have had been pickier. (that being said, every so often the used market gets absolutely overloaded with that Hartke stuff)
Last edited by seljer at Sep 9, 2012,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Gallien-Kruger makes realy nice gear, and some of it is afordable.
GK RB400
GK MB200
GK MB 2x12
GK MB4x10

Also Avatar Cabs are a pretty good value.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by Tostitos
Are we taking used gear/prices into consideration, or does that get too hazy and limited by availability for what this thread is meant to accomplish?

I think used gear fluctuates too much in price and condition to include. Its usually the best option on a budget but its a risky business.

I've have a look at Peavey now, thanks for the reminder.
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
At the upper end of the scale, I'd look at Carvin's BR series combos. They're 500-watt, fantastic-sounding amplifiers and very well made. The 1X15 and the 2x10 both go for about US$600.00 each. Sadly, Carvin is often not an option if you aren't in the U.S.A.

Acoustic has revamped their lineup. I've had one of their B200 1x15 combos for a few years, and it is surprisingly good. The 2x10 combo is even better, and for the price, they seem to offer a great deal throughout their line. The B200 1x15 is about US$500.00 and the BR450 2x10 is about US$600.00, but you can often find them on sale for less.

There's my two recommendations.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
2,041 IQ
I like the GK backline series. Some will say that it's not the most awesome choice, but I really dig the sound. As for behringer, I have a friend who absolutely swears by his. I don't know the model name, but it does sound pretty good. The Acoustic B200 is a great choice! It's one of my personal favorites. If you're into combos, I'd go for a Fender Rumble100 or a Bassman250. We had a bassman in high school and it could push out some air!!
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
consecutive e
draws 'til death.
1,471 IQ
Great idea for a thread Jon, Kudos.
I think it might be a good idea to have prices in the main four currencies that get asked for on the forum in the descriptions (GBP, EUR, USD and AUD).
More than happy to research the best Aussie prices if it's thought of as a good idea.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Nutter_101
1,826 IQ

The more you know!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by consecutive e
Great idea for a thread Jon, Kudos.
I think it might be a good idea to have prices in the main four currencies that get asked for on the forum in the descriptions (GBP, EUR, USD and AUD).
More than happy to research the best Aussie prices if it's thought of as a good idea.

In the end I'd like to make a whole table comparing price, wattage and availability. Separate tables for heads, cabs and combos. Considering the clientèle, I would say price catagories from the USA, Europe and Australia/NZ (assuming those two have similar prices. Any help when the time comes will be great.
Quote by Nutter_101

The more you know!

Seriously? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Sep 10, 2012,
fleajr_1412
UG Board King
2,167 IQ
I can vouch for TC Electronic's BH500. I use it for rehearsals and gigs and it's excellent. 500 watts of power, 3 programmable presets, powerful EQ, built like a tank and fairly cheap (I bought mine brand new for £350). Definitely worth a try.
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.
1,105 IQ
Markbass and Trace Elliot are great companies that produce some incredibly affordable equipment aswell.
consecutive e
draws 'til death.
1,471 IQ
^ I don't know the prices on the new Trace amps but as far as MarkBass goes... I don't think your version of "affordable" is the same as what's implied in this thread.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Oh bollocks, I forgot I had work to do on this thread.

I'll finish my coffee, poop and get typing.
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
Oh bollocks, I forgot I had work to do on this thread.

I'll finish my coffee, poop and get typing.

Innecesary... but that's kinda your style, and it makes me laugh... I'm undecided.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
red_hot_chili18
Russian Circles.
1,105 IQ
Quote by red_hot_chili18
Markbass and Trace Elliot are great companies that produce some incredibly affordable equipment aswell.

They may cost more, but they will last you a lifetime, I promise you
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by red_hot_chili18

It's not that they won't, it's just that they don't fit the "cheapish gigging rigs" in this thread...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
LIST UPDATED

Quote by Sudaka
Innecesary... but that's kinda your style, and it makes me laugh... I'm undecided.

I find pooping quite necessary.
Quote by red_hot_chili18

Which would be fine if we had enough money for them in the first place. They are boutique, not budget.
dark Mass
ZORK
523 IQ
SWR Light series of amps and cabs are great for those who don't the cash spend on higher end gear. I can vouch for them because it's a great mini-rig for those smaller club and bar gigs which most of us perform at.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Tru dat, Aguilar and Eden to some surprisingly cheap things too. I'll work on those later.

When its finished I'll rewrite it with more objectivity but seriously, **** Laney and their shitty shit.
Tostitos
caffeinated
868 IQ
The Tonehammer 350 right? I thought Eden discontinued the Nemesis line and left "affordable" behind.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
dark Mass
ZORK
523 IQ
Eden does have the WTX-264 and WTX-500 heads which I've heard they're not great amps reliability wise.

Mainly cheap pots and sending units out with burnt out power transformers.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
seljer
UG Resident
1,381 IQ
Quote by Spaz91
They discontinued it? Balls, I was going to get one. Tone Hammer it is.

Even if its discontinued, they're probably still going to lay about shops and warehouses for another year or so, possibly marked down

No idea about the pots on my Nemesis, they seem to work fine, but they've used the most horrible plastic knobs possibly available as far as aesthetics are concerned
Last edited by seljer at Sep 19, 2012,
ScottB.
▘▘▘`
989 IQ
If you're considering the Hartke LH500 don't let the EQ put you off. It's very different from an active EQ but once you know how to use it the amp comes into its own. I start off with the knobs set give a flat EQ (which is definitely not 12 o'clock) and adjust from there to accommodate for the way the room sounds.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
The Genz Benz lower range stuff could be considered for this thread (as a higher end budget consideration). The Shuttle 3.0 + a 1x10 tweeter cab will set you back £550 and probably kicks out sufficient volume to keep up, and will be completely fine if you have PA support which nearly any music venue you play is going to these days does (at least around here). It probably has plenty of killer tone too, unlike certain other amps on a budget. There's also a 1x15 combo which you can currently get for £449 from bassdirect (and a £499 2x10). Both look like good amps for the money, though I've no direct experience with their stuff. Genz Benz also have some stellar customer service which is always a big plus. One of my favourite companies out there at the moment.

I can give a big plus one to Hartke too. A year or so ago I played a gig at a music venue that was really pushy about us using their backline (can't stand that shit) and wouldn't let me bring my own amp on stage. The amp was an Ampeg B-2 (which I've played through before and didn't get along with) but I've just dug up some photos and the Hartke cab it was running into appears to be a VX410. My only experience of gigging Hartke stuff but I can definitely recommend it. Would still rather have used my own amp but for the price that was a solid sounding cab. Definitely beats Ashdown who seem to be the standard for bass equipment around that pricepoint... can't get along with their stuff at all, too muddy and lacking in clarity. The high-end stuff might be alright, never tried it, but don't like the cheaper stuff (I'm not exactly biased either, I've tried a lot of it a lot of times, and actually have one of their pedals on my board which I love).

When it comes to Laney, their new stuff is utter crap, probably still beats Behringer but it's not great. However, I gigged for several years with an old Laney DP set-up from the early 90's my dad had lying around in the basement from his gigging days (he's a guitarist, but his bassist didn't have space for the amp when they stopped playing together) until I could afford my own amp. That amp was shit-hot for the money (I see them go frequently for less than £50). It was rated at 150 watts into 4Ω and 75 watts into 8Ω, but even running it with a single cab at 75 watts it could easily shut up a drummer. It was seriously loud. I actually bumped into a 300 watt version in a dodgy pre-owned music shop about a year ago which was going for about £70. I used to use this with an old nameless PA cab, so can't comment on the cabs, but the DP series amps are simply awesome budget buys for the money. Built like a tank too, never gave me any trouble in over a hundred gigs. It's along the same vein as all the Trace Elliot gear from the same sort of era, which also tends to pop up pretty cheap second hand. Looking second hand for 80's/early 90's gear is probably a great way to go, that stuff will sound quite good and go seriously loud, and be pretty damn cheap. The only downside is carrying the stuff about, weighs a ton (my amp & cab & bass all together way as much as my old Laney head did).
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
consecutive e
draws 'til death.
1,471 IQ
Quote by Tostitos
The Tonehammer 350 right? I thought Eden discontinued the Nemesis line and left "affordable" behind.

E series Eden stuff is the "budget" line these days. Marshall did away with Nemisis stuff.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
J3G2
66 IQ
Woah, never seen so much Laney hate haha! I love their stuff personally. I use either a Laney RB9 or Laney B1(1500 watts! Valve preamp) through two 15inch PA speakers. The B1 is probably my favourite amp at the moment and this is after playing through a £2000 Trace setup and various valve rigs(that ampeg tone is immense!).

Laney is very transparent sounding imo, so it works for heavy fx use....but then again I don't use any effects apart from a bit of drive.

Really good thread too!
badcoconuts
badcoconuts
21 IQ
I have the Ashdown t15 250s, which is basically the same as the MAG series, it is actually thomann's own edition of the amplifier, no big differences. I've had it for like almost a year now, and I've been satisfyed with the sound and everything so far, no flauds have come up and if u buy an extra cabinet for it, u can get 500 watt's out of it!
BadCoconuts
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by ldyjl

They're both brilliant bass heads. For the price, I'd go with the Ampeg for the £/w but remember the TC is more versatile with its effects built in.

(When I finally get around to arranging a half stack for pub gigs, I'm definitely going with one of these two or an Aguilar TH 350.)
Tostitos
caffeinated
868 IQ
Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed with the Ampeg PF's in the slightest. Could just be some bum heads that I tried, maybe a little bias in regards to "Ampeg" and the "Ampeg sound."

I really want to give that TC head a go sometime, I'll have to look for one when I'm back in town in December. Still, I think the Aggie TH's are awesome. I'd probably be playing one today if I didn't have my Markbass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by Tostitos
Maybe it's just me, but I was not impressed with the Ampeg PF's in the slightest. Could just be some bum heads that I tried, maybe a little bias in regards to "Ampeg" and the "Ampeg sound."

I really want to give that TC head a go sometime, I'll have to look for one when I'm back in town in December. Still, I think the Aggie TH's are awesome. I'd probably be playing one today if I didn't have my Markbass.

I found Ampeg portaflex series kinda underwhelming... The EQ is poor, and if you want to use the ultro lo or ultra hi buttons, you'll find the go too far away... there's nothing in the middle. Also, the overdrive is a fart machine, which kills definition (unlike my Tech 21 VT bass, so it's not that any overdrive kills definition)... I basically think it overall sucks, and i tried with portaflex cabs and with my bass (well, the VM Jazz that used to be my bass back then)
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Ziphoblat
The Enigma
390 IQ
Contrary to everyone else here my one experience with an Ampeg Portaflex head was a positive one. I played a gig at an academy a year or two ago who insisted upon their backline being used and had an Ampeg Portaflex head into a Hartke HX410 Hydrive cab. I didn't expect much, but it actually sounded quite pleasing & cut through well. Of course, I can't be sure how much of that was the cab or the venue or whatever having never played through that cab or at that venue before, so it's hardly a hugely informed assessment, but I did like what I heard... was one of the rare few times I actually enjoyed the live sound coming out of the Stingray which I was using back then.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Sliide90027
368 IQ
Now that they are discontinued and aged the Genz Benz Neox 400 112T and 210 Combos should be in the cheapish range. External cab to get it from 300w range up to the 425 might be cost prohibitive.

Likewise, the GBE 400 Amp Head by GB should be in the cheapish reach as well
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
i've been renting a traynor DB300H since august and running it through my old behringer cab. there was some rattling in the cab somewhere but it stopped. i don't invest a lot of time in EQing or anything and it works well for me. pretty simple. just bass, low mid, hi mid and treble. works for me.
#DTWD
christianonbass
878 IQ
Old guy who's out of touch with new combo brands and technology could use some advice. I have battled addiction and --very recently--an awful bout with Psoriatic Arthritis. I have lost my equipment several times--as well as wore out my welcome in certain bands . I have managed to maintain my talent, and I have bounced back to the point that I play my bass better than ever. I will increase my endurance when I start jamming with others again--and I will see how helpful my Carpal Tunnel surgeries really were.
I have amplification concerns. Back in the good ole days, Mom bought me a Peavey Combo with a BW 15. It had 130W, a parametric EQ that I never understood and a single handle on top making it a PAIN to carry. It was so loud that I often wouldn't get ran through the PA, which was difficult for live recordings. I could play along with 2 guitars and a loud drummer while still cutting through no problem. When I had it cranked for outside gigs that sucker was downright MEAN sounding! Mom bought it for me in 82 for 500 bucks. Twelve years later I pawned it and never got it back, one of many regrets.
I was reading a different forum the other day and was shocked. The topic was "With PA system amplification why have an amp" (for bass). WTH? I was taught that you get your "Sound" with your amp, and that is your monitor. Hopefully that sound is replicated somewhat in the PA (with that combo amp I was loud enough to not need the PA if playing in a grange or hall)! Sorry for reminiscing. That is my story. My current situation is that I have 400 bucks to spend on an amp. I am thinking of getting a Peavey TNT perhaps. I have looked at many options, and the reviews scare me. I can't afford to make a mistake on this. Are Ampeg BAs OK? Acoustic combo? Fender Rumble? With Peavey I know what I am getting...unless they have went downhill since the Reagan years. I felt that I needed to share some of my history. I used to think being a druggie was so "Rock Star". I became a Heroin junkie. Kids, don't go there please. I see some of the young talent nowadays (like on You tube, wow) and it warms my heart seeing a Teen rocking on Rush or Zeppelin. I want you to have fun and succeed!
Spaz91
RIP Terry
6,280 IQ
Quote by christianonbass
Sorry for reminiscing. That is my story. My current situation is that I have 400 bucks to spend on an amp. I am thinking of getting a Peavey TNT perhaps. I have looked at many options, and the reviews scare me. I can't afford to make a mistake on this. Are Ampeg BAs OK? Acoustic combo? Fender Rumble? With Peavey I know what I am getting...unless they have went downhill since the Reagan years.

for some people the PA is enough with an EQ, for the longest time Geddy played straight into the house. Personally I like a hefty bass cab on my side.

$400 is going to be pretty tight unless you're playing jazz or folk gigs, etc. General rule is you need at least 300w to compete with a loud drummer so I'd say look at second hand gear. Peavey aren't what they once were but they're still built to last; Ampeg BAs are great but you'll struggle to get the wattage; Acoustics always get high praise around here, cheap and cheerful; Fender Rumbles should be avoided (in my opinion).

Look into Ashdown and Acoustic. Something like this would be perfect so long as you can test it first. I had a 410 MAG300 from Ashdown and it was seriously cool for the cash.

Not sure how available they are across the pond but Kustom are great if you're on a strict budget. By no means are they tone monsters but they're cheap and ****ing loud.

Hope this helps.