Hey so my friend lent me her HD500 while she was away, and as I was messing with it, I saw that you could use two amps at the same time. I have a couple of questions about setting them up and having them work the way I imagine to work so hopefully you guys can answer them:

1) Using this dual amp setup, is it possible to use an amp's clean and distortion setting? Meaning, can I set it up so that a footswitch can toggle between an amp set to clean, and an amp set to dirty? Sort of like switching between two channels on an actual amplifier.

2) When I have dual amps, is there a way to set it up so all my effects go into one amp, and the other amp just by itself. Usually I play a clean sound with a couple of effects and when I have to switch to distortion or overdrive, it gets tedious trying to turn off every effect. I know just making a different patch and switching would remedy this, but I like having just one main patch to stick with since it's really not mine to begin with.

I might have a couple chances to use this while playing live rather than my usual rig , so I want to make the most of this unit before she gets back and takes it back. Really, I'm looking for features that would seem cool to add to my usual rig and so right now it's more of a realistic experimentation of what I could do to my usual rig.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Yup, it's a complete pain in the arse to do it with the floor unit by itself but you can do all that stuff easily on a computer.

Though I think it's worth mentioning that the real beauty of the dual-amp feature is setting two different amp models equally, so you get one sound that is halfway between both, or set the final mix biased towards one amp more. Really expands how many tones you have to play with, since you can get things like a Fender combo amp tone but with a little hint of Marshall grunt. It may seem more limited at first than using it as a clean/dirty switch or effects/plain, but if you set it up just right you can get tones so good you won't miss alternative switching options.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Yup, it's a complete pain in the arse to do it with the floor unit by itself but you can do all that stuff easily on a computer.

Though I think it's worth mentioning that the real beauty of the dual-amp feature is setting two different amp models equally, so you get one sound that is halfway between both, or set the final mix biased towards one amp more. Really expands how many tones you have to play with, since you can get things like a Fender combo amp tone but with a little hint of Marshall grunt. It may seem more limited at first than using it as a clean/dirty switch or effects/plain, but if you set it up just right you can get tones so good you won't miss alternative switching options.

Agreed.

I just got a Duoverb, which is designed around the 'two amps at once' feature. Blending is the killer feature - I use a crunchy Super Lead under a Soldano SLO to get a great balance of gain and definition.