frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Haven't uploaded anything on here in a while so thought I might as well put something up.
I bought an 8 string a few months ago and it piqued my creativity.
Here's a selection of pieces I've written since, please to critique any that take your fancy. They're not necessary complete, but I thought I'd upload the decent ones anyway.
I assure you I will critique in return but I can't assure you it will be prompt, it depends how busy I am in the following weeks.

EDIT: I used RedDeath's idea of reusing a previous theme from Mass later in the song, so I've re-uploaded it with that change.
Attachments:
8 string.zip
My songs are all located here .
Feel free to drop by and crit a song.
Leave a link and I'll return a crit

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Sep 20, 2012,
amonamarthmetal
1,808 IQ
was it really necessary to buy an 8 string instead of just tuning a 6-7 string down really low?
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal
was it really necessary to buy an 8 string instead of just tuning a 6-7 string down really low?

But then you lose the higher end for the deedly doodly
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal

Nothing in music is necessary. That's the beauty of it.
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal

String gauges bro.

I'll check out the songs later, I gotta sleep for now.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 17, 2012,
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by amonamarthmetal

All I can tell you is that the 8 string piqued me creativity in a way that I haven't experienced for quite some time.
Also I have my 8 string in Drop E, which is just 8 string standard with the low F# dropped to E, it's the 8 string analogue of 6 string Drop D. I would not want a 6 string in Drop E.

Quote by Ometh
But then you lose the higher end for the deedly doodly

I'm not that sort of guitarist really, my lead playing is terrible, but it's nice to have the higher registers available for whenever I want them, you can play some cool chords that extend over 4 or more octaves or play melodies up there (obviously).

Quote by StrumThatFender
I thought Cavern was really cool. Very atmospheric.

Thanks, atmospheric is about the only thing it has going for it. Although it's not marked as No 1 it's actually the first song I wrote on my 8 string. I wrote and recorded it almost instantly and then tabbed it out after so I could write bass and drums and then record them.
All I did was play that low E octave with a lot of reverb and it sounded badass, like being in a cave. I just had to do something with it.

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Nothing in music is necessary. That's the beauty of it.

Amen.

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Sep 17, 2012,
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
I'm just commenting here for the moment so this is easy to find and I can critique this stuff later. I had a quick listen through and it sounds pretty good, although I'll go through in a bit more detail later.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Sep 19, 2012,
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
I'm not going to crit this right now since shit is about to be expelled from my anus at an extreme force, but you rely too much on the low E and on octaves basically. No offense, but you bought an 8 STRING.
EDIT: Also, before I really shit myself: loads of songs were on the key of E, and that kind of bugged me a bit. Try to stay away from that a bit IMO.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by Ometh at Sep 19, 2012,
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Ometh
I'm not going to crit this right now since shit is about to be expelled from my anus at an extreme force, but you rely too much on the low E and on octaves basically. No offense, but you bought an 8 STRING.
EDIT: Also, before I really shit myself: loads of songs were on the key of E, and that kind of bugged me a bit. Try to stay away from that a bit IMO.

Yeah they're both fair points. It's hard to resist slapping that low E in all the time, it sounds delicious. It's also hard to avoid writing in the key of whatever drop tuning you're in but that's hardly something that just I do. If you're in Drop A# you tend to write in A#, Drop C write in C etc. It's a natural way to write for people who aren't particularly good or experienced at song writing.
Thanks for the words though, definitely food for thought that I'll pay a lot of attention to as I continue to write with the 8 string.

Colossus
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Yeah they're both fair points. It's hard to resist slapping that low E in all the time, it sounds delicious. It's also hard to avoid writing in the key of whatever drop tuning you're in but that's hardly something that just I do. If you're in Drop A# you tend to write in A#, Drop C write in C etc. It's a natural way to write for people who aren't particularly good or experienced at song writing.
Thanks for the words though, definitely food for thought that I'll pay a lot of attention to as I continue to write with the 8 string.

Yeah, I'm also very guilty of this, but as soon you get used to the tuning you start wandering off that low note, me thinks.
When I first tuned down to C# (lol so low amirite) I was like "**** yeah, this sounds heavy" and based my riffs around that alot. And while I still do nowadays, I try to make them a bit different ya know, make the songs stand out from each other. You could easily throw all of those low E riffs together and create the longest djent song evah lol.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Ometh
You could easily throw all of those low E riffs together and create the longest djent song evah lol.

Lol I'd like to think some of the riffs wouldn't fit together too well and actually have some kind of unique agreement with the song's they're placed in...

Colossus
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
Animals -
This one really reminded me of Wave of Babies by AAL for a while. It does change alot, but the clean part at the start and the opening low sting riff thing really had that kind of vibe. All the riffs were solid, the drums worked well, not a whole lot to complain about really. If anything, the bit from 48 onwards didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the song. As a whole though, it's a good opening track.

8 String 2.gp5 -
Nice groovy intro. I can't help thinking some kind of slapped bass part might sound better over the introduction. When the distorted guitars came in, I did feel it was getting a little samey, although the drums at 31 spiced it up nicely with the polyrhythm-thing. I liked how it went from 5 over 4 (Or whatever it is. What I mean is that the cymbal is being hit every five 16th notes) to 6 over 4 (Every six 16th notes. Again, I don't know if that's the right terminology). The riff at 53 was great, for some reason it reminded me of Deftones. 69 was a nice little 'nod' to the opening riffs, except with a heavier feel. The transition into 77 didn't quite feel right to me. I also didn't really like how the polyrhythm-thing started, lasted 2 bars, and just repeated. If I were you, I would either do what you did earlier and change the polyrhythm, or just keep it going longer before the repeat.

Mias Veil -
I didn't really enjoy this piece. I can't even really put my finger on why that is, weirdly. It's not by any means a bad piece of music, but for reasons I can't explain, I didn't 'connect' with it - I guess it just isn't to my taste.

Navi -
I really enjoyed this. It's a really nice change from the br00tz of the other songs . I'm a complete sucker for this kind of post rock-ish ambienty sort of stuff . When it did change, I wasn't too bothered. That riff really reminded me a bit of Vildhjarta (Or however it's spelt) and Meshuggah, which was cool. 71 onwards had a very Monuments sound to it. I think it's just the use of the dead notes, or how the riff is timed int he bar, but there is just something there that oozes Monuments to my ears, especially from 79. There I would say keep the bass as it was before, but have the guitars carry on the muted notes (Similar to the dagagadagaga in the Uncollective). Overall, this track was the highlight so far.

Cavern -
This is something I could really imagine Deftones playing, up until at 39 - it feels a bit too 'upbeat' there for them. It was a nice change of pace from the opening though, so I don't want that to come across as a negative point. The transition back t opening riff (Before the distorted guitars come in) felt a bit awkward. The section with distorted guitars didn't really feel like it belonged in this track to me - I would personally save that for something else if I were you.

Mass -
Through out the track I can hear the a big Vildhjarta influence. The whole piece is very to my liking, and there's not really much I would change. I'm fussy with drum parts, so I would probably alter parts, but as a whole, it's a good piece. If anything, you're relying a lot on the Low E. I bought an 8 string a few months back and suffer the same problem with my F, so I'm not saying what you're writing is 'wrong' because it has a lot of that note, it's just something to bear in mind as stuff will start to sound 'samey' eventually.

With that I'm going to give up for now. I'll do the rest at some point though.

Overall, I enjoyed what I heard. There were parts I wasn't keen on, but to a point I put that down to MIDI/Guitar Pro sound as much as anything else. In a good recording, my opinion might well be different. As a whole, I'd give it 7 or 8 out of 10.

You're doing a whole lot better than me with 8 string, I bought mine a few months back and have only written about two full songs with it! Bloody fun to just play around on aimlessly though.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Wow Carl, thanks for that detailed critique., such a gent. I'll return the favour for sure next time you put something up on here. Upload those 8 string songs maybe? I always love checking your stuff out/

I clearly express my influences way too obviously!
Animals was influenced by Wave of Babies (hence animals), Navi did have a lot of Meshuggah and Monuments influence in the later sections and Mass is basically a fairly shameless Vildhjarta rip-off (hence Mass as in Masstaden).
Lots of good points though that I'll take on board!

Colossus
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Wow Carl, thanks for that detailed critique., such a gent. I'll return the favour for sure next time you put something up on here. Upload those 8 string songs maybe? I always love checking your stuff out/

I clearly express my influences way too obviously!
Animals was influenced by Wave of Babies (hence animals), Navi did have a lot of Meshuggah and Monuments influence in the later sections and Mass is basically a fairly shameless Vildhjarta rip-off (hence Mass as in Masstaden).
Lots of good points though that I'll take on board!

Detailed? I thought I was being anything but!

If I can find those songs, I'll chuck them up. They're hidden in a zip file somewhere in the depths of my external hard-drive.

I wouldn't say it's too obviously. About 90% of everything decent I've ever written has been a completely blatant rip-off of something else. I may as well blame my never ending creative block on the lack of a Fightstar album for me to rip-off since 2009!
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Carl6661
Detailed? I thought I was being anything but!

If I can find those songs, I'll chuck them up. They're hidden in a zip file somewhere in the depths of my external hard-drive.

I wouldn't say it's too obviously. About 90% of everything decent I've ever written has been a completely blatant rip-off of something else. I may as well blame my never ending creative block on the lack of a Fightstar album for me to rip-off since 2009!

Haha I think it was only me and you who were on this forum and massively into Fightstar so it was only ever me who noticed the similarities!
If you can get some djent influence into that mix whilst adding your own spin on things you'd have a fierce piece of music.
If I ever formed a band I'd want it to be somewhere between Fightstar and TesseracT with other things sprinkled in obviously, but the layering of cleans and distortion with epic choruses and dark heavy moments is something those bands do fantastically but in very different ways.

Colossus
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
Man, I just wanna say that Mass was awesome. After bar 42, I started anticipating a climax with that same rhythm but sped up, and at 55 you totally nailed it. That was perfect. However, rather than the lead you chose at 60, I would have tried to repeat a previous theme. But other than that, it was really eerie and well-done.

I'll comment on your other songs at my leisure No need for a C4C.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by RedDeath9
However, rather than the lead you chose at 60, I would have tried to repeat a previous theme.

Thanks man, and that is an excellent idea. I never did like that lead, it's pretty shitty. I'll have a look at implementing your idea.

EDIT: Used that idea and re-uploaded the song with the change.

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Sep 20, 2012,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
First off, I updated the original post to link to the video and the video links to the FB page Thanks for the critique. Here's the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeZKXlWHGng

Now, on to my crit.

No joke... 12 tone starts off really grooving dude. I loved it. But at measure 17 it starts being to weird to my taste. O.o I was like wtf. But up until that point it was a boss dude.

Animals was like one of the coolest clean intros I've ever heard dude. At measure 11, it doesn't even feel awkward to be in 9/8. I genuinely think it's smooth. at 19 GP5 makes it sound weird for strings to be low haha. but it's great. 24 was where things got really cool to me. The clean over that distortion rhythm was great. at 40 it was cool how the guitar harmonized on top of the guitar again. I bet 46 would sound like a boss recorded dude. The clean ended out great. I'll get back to doing more it's pushing 1 in the morning haha.

I like lower tunings and loose low strings (7 and 8s) I dig this.
patrickaumon
488 IQ
Animals.

This shit is so damn good. I punched my balls several times listening it.
Just the starting chords make me spit blood as if someone threw a 10 wheeler to my face.

I'd like to see more of those chords implemented tho because after the intro it just gets chuggy on the low string and it gets boring
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
Quote by patrickaumon
Animals.

Just the starting chords make me spit blood as if someone threw a 10 wheeler to my face.

I'd like to see more of those chords implemented tho because after the intro it just gets chuggy on the low string and it gets boring

Yeah man. The intro is goddamn awesome but the rest of the song doesn't do it justice.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by patrickaumon
Animals.

Quote by RedDeath9
Yeah man. The intro is goddamn awesome but the rest of the song doesn't do it justice.

Yeah that's fair enough, I get what you're both saying. Any suggestions on what I could do specifically to improve it?

Colossus
BloodReverence
917 IQ
Mia's Veil is the only one that I can say I'd truly enjoy if recorded. A lot of this sounds uninspired to me man. There's some really good riffs sitting around in here but you usually overemphasize the weaker parts of the songs instead of the stronger parts.

Mia's Veil, bar 20, is my favourite moment on all the songs I listened to (which was about 5-6). The opening chug to chord sequence was also nice to hear after all the other chugging parts in your songs.

I think the reason why I like this one the most is cause it reminds me more of The Black Dahlia Murder than djent bands.

Sorry dude but when you're doing the djent stuff, most of the time it sounds uninspired or like you're just trying to fit in with what other bands are doing instead of finding your own sound and claiming it. It's too cookie-cutter and there were no real exciting moments to them.

I think what you should try doing is incorporate more moods within your pieces. For me, I feel like most of your songs don't really go anywhere, they just continue on a loop with one general feel. Try exploring moods within your songs and using a bit more structure to them.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by BloodReverence
Mia's Veil, bar 20, is my favourite moment on all the songs I listened to

Haha that's one of my least favourite bits in one of my least favourite songs of that lot.
I think this is just a solid difference of musical taste genre wise.

The mood point is very good though, I'll explore that more. I do tend to stick to one theme rather than branching out a lot.
Thanks for the crit.

Colossus
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
So far I've listened to Drop. I must say, I'm impressed with how unpredictable it was. Like at 17 when it goes to a synth bass groove reminiscent of old school Nine Inch Nails. Stuff like that I wasn't expecting but totally worked. I have no complaints about any of the composition, but if I had to suggest one thing to work with I'd say, maybe change a few things when you redo the intro as the outro. Perhaps by adding distorted rhythm guitars to it. Or maybe chopping up the synth lead in weird unexpected ways (sudden rests, or making some notes shorter or longer than others). Or maybe giving some kind of rhythm to the long notes on the bass, and switching the drums to a traditional breakdown pattern so it's unexpectedly heavy instead of groovey. Anything really. Those are just some ideas.

I'll look at another song or two when I get a moment. I was pleasantly surprised with that.
Erra93
erriuyai
1,682 IQ
Listening to Mass, this song would be perfect to set the mood in a horror movie! Obviously the Vildhjarta influences are there, but the song doesn't feel forced, I think it's done pretty tasteful.

It's not the kind of music I usually listen to, but if I wanted to scare myself walking home late at night, in a dark alley, I would have this playing, haha.

The intro to Animals sounds like a Diablo soundtrack, which is cool.

2.. whatever part it is that comes at bar 35 is really refreshing since it's a little happy

7 Navi, this song is really great, it has that depressing mood set by the clean guitars and then comes the distorted extra sadness, it's like nothing I've heard before, in a good way.
All the guitar solo-things really add to the overall feeling of the song. I would say this is sort of the opposite of your song May March.

The part at bar 71 is probably my favourite, I'm a sucker for such happy-depressy-sounding progressions. The outro with that little solo reminds me of Title Fight's depressing-mood-songs, I would probably say this is my favourite song.

Imhotep is another song I fall in love with as soon as it starts, it sounds like the end of the world is closing in on us pretty much throughout the song! The spooky bass part was pretty cool, not sure what else to say, it was a solid song!

Haha, the intro to Drop is great, I love the synth part, so egyptian yet.. funny sounding with the claps in the background, it's like the beginning of a djent rap song.

Pretty much the only thing I miss in some of your song is a little more note progression, I mean, it's all incredibly well-written, I just love it when there's a sort of "happy" part in an otherwise "angry" song, like the part at bar 71 in Navi

Then comes Soar and slaps me in the face and gives me what I want.

Contemplation & Condemnation (yeah, it's an old song), I think I've tried and failed miserably to write a similar part to "It's Big and Loud and Epic." that starts at bar 290 at least a thousand times, but I never seem to get that jazzy feel!

Navi, Soar, Contemplation & Condemnation, Colossus and May March are probably my favourite songs of yours, would you happen to know any bands that play similarly and any song that most closely resemble the style of any of the songs?

What's great about your songs is if I don't actually like a song, it's still interesting enough to listen to because how well-written it is!

Also, you should really start recording your songs! Keep it up!

Also also, if this was a good enough crit, I'd really appreciate one last crit on the finished version (v6) of "Mentalcore song" (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1495946)

Also also also, thanks for the inspiration you brought me!
Last edited by Erra93 at Oct 15, 2012,
guitar_jew
974 IQ
Have to praise Animals. Sure, everyone has, but ****, it's good. The ending long note could be one bar shorter, though.

CH-CH-CHUG. CH-CH-CHUG. CH-CH-CHUG. CH-CH-CHUG. CHUG CHUG. CHUG. '2' in a nutshell. I'm listening to these out of order, so this is number 3 or 4 for me, but the chugging is getting stale. These definitely should be cherry picked if they are to be included on any large scale project- they'd drag for days if it was its own album. The long distorted chord section grooved better, anyway, IMO. Some of the chromaticism is nice, but since it just adds a flash of color instead of being a texture all its own, it doesn't add too much, really.

Mia's Veil- The chord use is a beautiful change of pace from the chugfests so far. You seem to use a lot of the same harmonies frequently, especially that Veil of Maya harmonic minor metalcore. These songs on their own are usually fine, but because of that common element in most of them, they start to get predictable when listened to together. Yay for solo drum fill, though.

Navi is nice, the suspensions in the beginning are beautiful. You seem to have a talent for ambience, but have difficulty executing the heavy sections. The breakdown-y section at 51 grooved pretty hard, though, for sure. Novelty aside, sometimes it's important to just ****ing rock out with your **** out, y'know? The syncopated riff leading up to the long clean chords was fun, too.

Cavern is fun space-out stuff. When it speeds up, I noticed myself bobbing my head. It could work as an intro for sure, but it's better IMO if it ends at 70.

Mass is alright, but GP absolutely ruins all those bends and slides. The polyrhythmic fun at 60 sounded awesome, though.

Imhotep is great. It stays atmospheric, but without being overly repetitive. It doesn't get boring for a second, although I feel the bit around 150-ish should be its own piece. The thrashy feel doesn't fit at all, since it's already gone on for quite a while as an atmospheric work.

The synthesized bass in Drop was cool throughout. Not much else to say after that. You can tell these were written on a new 8 string by someone who hasn't played one before. I imagine I'd be doing much the same thing if I were ever to get one. In line with my fusion tastes, I suppose, I'd prefer for the octave line (repeats at 82) to go 11-12-11-13-12 in the same timing.

Soar is one of my favorites. Good enough for me to forgive the chugging, even. The strings and chordage add a lot to this one.

Not really familiar with 12 tone rows, but this one sounds cool enough.

28 gets cooler when the harmonies come in on that octave bit.

C4C? I know you've heard some of it before, but whatever you want to crit, I appreciate the feedback. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1566286
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
Quote by frankibo
Yeah that's fair enough, I get what you're both saying. Any suggestions on what I could do specifically to improve it?

Well, I wouldn't mind hearing the intro in a more intense environment. Like, fast-paced dreams underneath, maybe sweeping out the chord progression, or putting a crazy solo over it. Overall, I just would've liked it to go in a faster-paced, energetic direction, rather than the slow chugging that you've got going on. But eh, it's all good if that's what you want.

Also, 12 tone is pretty cool. I love how the fact that it's in 15/8 makes it work with the 6/8 AND 5/8 drumline. Cool as hell.

EDIT: Wow, Animals is VERY similar to Wave of Babies.
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Dec 15, 2012,
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by RedDeath9
EDIT: Wow, Animals is VERY similar to Wave of Babies.

Haha yeah it is... I think musically it's actually not similar at all but on a superficial over all sort of sound and feel kinda level it is very similar.;

Colossus
Slashiepie
Banged
492 IQ
Quote by Ometh

huh... wth? because keys inherently posses qualities that make them outstandingly different from each other...!?

Let me guess, the key of d minor is the saddest of all?
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Dec 16, 2012,
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
Quote by Slashiepie
huh... wth? because keys inherently posses qualities that make them outstandingly different from each other...!?

Well, it's pretty likely that the songs would all run together on an album. Also, it might be a good idea to try to write out of E, just to get some new ideas.
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by Slashiepie

The amount of stupid in this post is astounding.

Quote by Elo88
Hey i just bought an 8 string a few days ago, check out my channel and tell me what you think, of my recordings
http://www.youtube.com/user/SoundOfImprovisation?feature=mhee

Go away you whore.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Last edited by Ometh at Jan 14, 2013,
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by Slashiepie

His point was clearly that he has a bad habit of being in the same key all the time, which most metal bands do.
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
His point was clearly that he has a bad habit of being in the same key all the time, which most metal bands do.

I tend to find plenty of people try to be different and write in a different key to normal (i.e. the key of the drop tuning they're in.) All they tend to do is write something difficult to play that is just simplified by changing to the appropriate drop tuning in line with that key.

So for example I'm in Drop C. I write in C minor all the time and C major occasionally. To make a change I think I'll write in C# major. All I end up with is a load of difficult to play wank using the 1st 3rd 4th 6th frets. It looks all interested and different in tab form I guess. But I might as well just put in Drop C# and have it all on the 0 2nd 3rd and 5th frets and have it easy to play.

Hope that made sense and wasn't just a pointless rant.

Basically I just don't worry about writing in a particular key, I tend to just write in the key of the drop tuning I use. I have guitars in C, A#, G# and E and I'd make an album out of songs written in all those, not just one, so they've be key variety.

Colossus
Last edited by frankibo at Jan 15, 2013,
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
I have no issue with a load of songs in the same key, but some of those tunes did seem a bit too based on that E. Like you said you had just got that guitar so I get it lol.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
DamonA7xBoyle
21 IQ
Meshuggah though..
Free your mind and your ass will follow

Guitar Rig:
Jackson Kelly JS32T
Ibanez RG8
Marshall MG15CF
MXR Distortion III
Crybaby GCB95
MXR Classic 108 Fuzz
MXR Micro Chorus