I have a (dismantled) Fender Starcaster (not stratocaster - I'm sure you've seen them at Costco or something. Starter packs). I'm fixin' to have some extra cash and there are some mods I need input on:

1. New pickups. I'm thinking Hot Rails in the bridge and hot noiseless in the neck and middle. Opinions? I'll be using it for Strat-y stuff, SRV, Hendrix, Pearl Jam solos, you get the idea. Hot Rails would be for extra versatility. Also - how hard is it to make a coil-split for them? The body is routed for HSH, by the way.
2. New paint job. Is it possible to scrape off the original body paint and then re-finish the wood naturally? That'd be soooo sexy.
3. New tuners. What's good? What's not?

I won't have the money for a little while yet, this is just so I know what I'm lookin' at and what I can't/won't be able to do. I'd be nice to save a little and mod up my Tele too.
It's possible to get the paint off without to much effort but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the wood used to make a guitar you got from Costco isn't something you are gonna want the world to see.
I wouldnt even do it. Chances are with it being a starter guitar the wood isnt the best. Honestly buy a squier bullet strat if you want something cheap to mod the bodys are basswood and they only cost like 120 something. I actually plan on doing that with mine. I wanna get a custom neck from warmoth and throw some better pickups in it because honestly just for the body. Basswood routed and finished its worth the 120.
ah modified one of these inta ma frankenstrat. take a look it be in ma signiture.

ya can strip the paint off but it takes alot of effort.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build