Like I know hi-hats should be on your right and the ride on your left and all this, but what about the crashes, splashes and china? As far as I know, the china should be placed just to the right of the ride...

Ok, on to the crashes. Let's say you have 2 crashes. Is there a certain placement order for them? I have a feeling that the deeper sounding one should be to the right. Is this true? Can it be the other way around?

And the splashes... I think they go between the crashes don't they?

Is there a... "rule" or something for placing your cymbals, or do you place them as you like?

Thanks in advance.
**** any sort of rules. Do your own thing. There's drummers that have hi-hats on the right so they play it like a ride.
..I was watching my death.
No rules at all. Set it up in whatever way's most comfortable for you. And generally the hi-hat is on the LEFT, and the ride on the RIGHT, not the other way round like you said
Not really. I mean I have the deeper crash on the right because of the fact that you're then hitting it with your right hand which is good for crash/riding, but then again, it's not really a requirement.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
The only 'rule' is to put them so it's comfortable for YOU to be able to play them. Anything else is secondary
"Is there a certain placement order for cymbals?"

No.

I'm naturally right handed but I have a lot of shit on the left side which I play leading with the left hand, and sometimes I just set up my kit entirely left handed. Do as thou wilt.
Last edited by Steve08 at Sep 17, 2012,
Quote by whoomit
No rules at all. Set it up in whatever way's most comfortable for you. And generally the hi-hat is on the LEFT, and the ride on the RIGHT, not the other way round like you said

Oh yes lol my bad sorry. I meant the hi-hats on the left and the ride on the right. My bad..
I'll kind of take the other side, there is no rule but there is some general guidelines that most drummers follow. Hi hats to the left of your snare, where ever they feel comfortable. Your main crash is generally above your small tom, again whatever height and angle you feel is comfortable. Your second crash if you have on is above your second tom, or slightly more to the right of it. Your ride, is generally lower and over your kick or floor tom, and angled more flat. That's the basic setup, any other effects cymbals like splashes or chinas are just where ever you prefer.