Page 1 of 2
I'm about to start playing covers in a bar for money and I need help with gear.

Budget: $300, I don't think it deserves more, plus I'm getting a PPC212OB for my RA.

Genres: Mainly rock, blues, metal and alternative. I need cleans.

Used

Gear: look at my sig.

Options I've been thinking:

POD HD, EHX Caliber 22 or Magnum 44, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Valvetronix, Fender Mustang.

Would 30 watts be enough? I'll be using a mic.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 17, 2012,
First off, what's not suitable about your Mesa?

So long as the places have PAs, out of those I'd go with POD HD. Most versatile, best bang for your buck and quite likely the best tone.

I don't know anything about those little EHX things. The Mustang's got nice cleans, not great for high gain. Also, the III or above often develop a "fizz", there's a big thread about it over at the Fender forums. The I or II are fine as far as I know. Also look at the Line 6 Flextones.
RIP Adam
Last edited by SexyLikeAPig at Sep 17, 2012,
Errm, you've got a Royal Atlantic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I will not leave my baby in a bar, and I need it for my stuff, that thing is too heavy to move it around and Mexico is not a very safe place ¬¬. My Mesa IS NOT AN OPTION.

I'll see if I can nail an HD for a good price, thank you. Any other suggestions? I've heard and read great things about the Valvetronix and the Vypyr.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
vypyr 60

This
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That one is expensive over here , the cheapest used one I've seen was $500 USD equivalent. I'd love to get one of those though... Someday maybe.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Well the Pod would be a simple solution. The only hassle with that is if you are all sharing the same foldback. If you turn it up loud enough for you to hear yourself the singer will hit you. If you have your own wedge then that would be the way to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice to know Cath, I'll see that possibility now!

Thank you.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Sorry for the double post but I need to ask.

Would a 30w modelling amp will be enough? What about running the POD through my Laney's fx loop?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
It's a bit silly to recommend the same amp as I just did to someone else, but I'll just do it:

Marshall JCM 900 dual reverb 4501 1x12 combo.

It is dirt cheap because the internet bashes it over and over again.
It sounds good for almost all styles (very decent cleans and crunch is really in Marshal territory)
It sounds good when not cranked
It has usable reverb plus channel switching plus FX loop
It has GREAT sound for the price compared to everything in the same range
It is very portable since it's a 1x12 and it is pretty lightweight.

I hope I was of assistance.
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
The Laney would do the deed but you may have to run a bit through the foldback to be able to keep it clean but not so much that you will piss off the singer.

The 4501 is a good suggestion or a 4101 for that matter. You can turn a 4101 into a 4501 by puling two tubes and flicking a switch.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The JCM900 is REALLY expensive around here, like $1000 USD equivalent used, why? Just because it's a Marshall... Even if want to get a Peavey VK I'd had to pay like $500 USD equivalent used :S. Amps, specially tube amps, are overpriced around here. With my budget the most I could get would be a Laney just like mine... Stretching my budget is impossible right now since I still have to buy a good cab for my Mesa and some upgrades for my Strat.

A guy is selling a Peavey Vypyr 30 for dirty cheap, that's why I'm asking if a MIC'D 30w SS would work. I just bought a SM57 a few minutes ago from a friend. Still interested in the POD HD as well, but man those things are not as cheap as I thought...

Edit: DAMN MONEY

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 19, 2012,
My experience has been that SS amps don't cut through. A shitty tube amp would be better than an SS amp in a live situation, unless you know for a fact you will be mic'd.

The Vypyr 75 I used to have did not cut through at all in a full band unmic'd.

Why can't you just use your Laney?

Is there no used market at all where you live?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'll mic my amp (if I use one), that's why I bought the SM57.

My Laney doesn't have good cleans and I need more gain too. I'll play some metal like Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, etc...

Not trying to be a dick but plz read more carefully, I already said I'll be using a mic and the prices I'm posting ARE for the used market...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 19, 2012,
PODhd through your fx loop. Problem solved.

Even an XT live would work. Just make sure you test it first as some of the early ones had the case flex when you stepped on the buttons- it would contact the PCB and short. If you can step on them without anything funny going on then its ok.
Last edited by R45VT at Sep 19, 2012,
Wouldn't it be a good idea to ebay an amp from the US? I know its a risk but with those price differences I might go for it!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
That's the way I got my RA. I'll see if I can find a nice and cheap amp for that. I have family in California, New Mexico and Colorado if that helps. If you guys see something good for my needs please let me know. Just be aware I'll have to pay for import taxes and shipping.

If I can't find one anytime soon I guess I'll get a Pod HD.

Thank you guys

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I realized getting something out of my area is not an option because of budget and time.

Available items ATM:

Peavey Vypyr 30 $200
Vox VT30 $100
Vox VT60 $300
Pod HD 300 $300

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I wish , really, I have GAS for the Vypyr Tube but if I buy one then no Orange cab for me!

Another question though, are the preamps on all Vypyr's the same?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.

Used Vypyr Tube 60 is around $500 USD around here man! The same the VK... EXPENSIVE!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
What is the point of owning an awesome amp, but instead buying a cheap crappy, little amp for gigging?

I've played bar gigs for 6 years and never had a single problem with one of my amps getting damaged - and that included some pretty high-end Mesas and handwired vintage amps.

I'd just use the money to get a good quality ATA road case for the Royal Atlantic, personally.

That said, if you can find a used Line6 Flextone II/III with a floorboard included you'll be very happy indeed.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 21, 2012,
I don't have a car, I need my RA for playing with my band, my area is full of thieves and people who doesn't respect other people stuff... Lots of reasons for NOT using my Royal Atlantic that way. That's my main gigging amp, yes, but for events where I can bring it back home safely, It costed me a fortune.

Line 6 Flextone is around $1000 USD around here, USED.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 22, 2012,
Ouch.

I'd go with a pod HD if you'll have access to a PA. Maybe pick up your own monitor if it becomes an issue. Though, the -300 model is fairly limiting. If you can find a used -400 it would be a lot better.

Or just hire a big mean bastard to guard your mesa
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Perverockstar69
I don't have a car, I need my RA for playing with my band, my area is full of thieves and people who doesn't respect other people stuff... Lots of reasons for NOT using my Royal Atlantic that way. That's my main gigging amp, yes, but for events where I can safely bring it back home safely, It costed me a fortune.

Line 6 Flextone is around $1000 USD around here, USED.

Ouch! I got mine for £80 the other day....

Seems sensible enough to me. Shame about the Flex, modelling is definitely the way to go though.
Quote by kyle62
What is the point of owning an awesome amp, but instead buying a cheap crappy, little amp for gigging?

That said, if you can find a used Line6 Flextone II/III with a floorboard included you'll be very happy indeed.

Wait. What?
I see where you're coming from and I'd feel the same way with an RA. especially down in Mexico, haha. it'll be stolen. very quickly.
Mic'd Vypyr 30 might pull it off, I've seen giggers with worse rigs than that.

I don't suppose you could find a Peavey bandit? That may do the trick and they aren't expensive.

And I have to ask the obvious - would stealing/borrowing/driving a car to the border be an option? My dad did that from D.F. to get his violin. just drove up to brownsville. edit: he didn't steal the car.

IMO, this seems more urgent than the PPC. a Vypyr 60 and saving for the PPC may be your best option.
Last edited by ihartfood at Sep 22, 2012,
Well, now that you mention it I believe you are right, the Vypyr 60 it's more urgent since it will give me money... I'll see what I can do. Can I use it for my purposes without the Sanpera? BTW guys, sorry on the info about the Flextone, actually $1000 was for a Vetta, I just saw a Flextone running for $650 USD but I still prefer the Vypyr since it has a tube power amp.

Thank you.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Can I use it for my purposes without the Sanpera?

Are you going to use a lot of fancy effects?
Are you going to switch rapidly from one song to another?
Do you have your own wah pedal?

If the answer to 2/3 of these questions are no, then you don't need it.
Yes, I do have a wah, I need effects for sure (I can bring my pedalboard though) and I'll switch from one song to another quickly but mostly I need clean and one good gain channel, two being ideal. Can I use a regular footswitch instead of the sanpera? Maybe a different tube amp will do it, but I need one with metal high gain (classic and thrash metal at most). What I do like about the Vypyr tube is you can have so many different sounds.

Any other recommendation? You guys convinced me to stretch my budget and maybe this amp I get can serve me well as a nice back up. Since I do have two british sounding amps maybe one with some american voice will be something nice to try.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
You need FX, you need to be able to switch sounds... ergo, you need a Vypyr with a Sanpera.

No, the Vypyr won't work with any other footswitch.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wouldn't buy the Vypyr for its effects. The amp models are where it's at. It does take pedals real well. I have a clip running wah, delay and phaser into the front end of my Vypyr 60.

You say you have a pedal board? What's on it?

Should be fine. But yeah, you'll want the sampera if you are gigging and need to switch amp models
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 23, 2012,
I think the Vypyr FX are fine.

Granted I'm no booteek connoisseur, but the reverb and delay sound good to me. Other than that I only really use chorus, tremolo and tubscreamer. No complaints, other than the way the editing is it's kind of difficult to dial in exactly what I want.

On a related note, I was looking at some cheap modeling amps for my friend the other day, actually taking a look at the Flextone II - I had no idea that amp had an FX loop. That's pretty ****ing awesome. I really hope Peavey puts an FX loop in the Vypyr Tube II. That would make my life.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
My pedalboard has Carbon Copy, Ibanez SC10 stereo chorus, Boss BF2 Flanger, Catalinbread's Ottava Magus, Dunlop CFH Wah and soon a OD/Fuzz.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I'm not a boutique connioseur either - I just don't think the Vypyr effects stand out as a reason to buy the amp - unless you have no effects pedals at all. But if you have a board already, I'm just saying the Vypyr takes pedals well (unlike a lot of other modeling amps). Maybe that is due to the analog front end.

I have a Carbon Copy delay, MXR Phaser 90, a forsakenazrael (Boomerang) Wah, and a Digitech Bad Money. Those all sounded remarkably well into the Vypyr. Conversely, the chorus on the Vypyr did not sound all that good to me.

I will admit that the delay and reverb on the Vypyr sound pretty good. The slapback effect in particular is the one I used to on my clips with reverb. The big reason I bought the Vypyr was for the Twin channel with Reverb and the Dual Rec/Diezel models. I don't use any effects with the latter two.

I'm still not sure what you meant Perverockstar about 'same preamp'.
What you really need is something like a Line 6 HD147. But that's probably not very feasible in your budget.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What you really need is something like a Line 6 HD147. But that's probably not very feasible in your budget.

Why?

I got the impression that he didn't want to replace his pedal board with a modeling amp. He's got a decent board. Or maybe I read the thread wrong.
Exactly. The HD147 has amp models, and no FX. It has an FX loop. It's sort of the perfect solution for someone who wants to use pedals, but have amp modeling capabilities.

Unless I'm missing something?

I'm confused.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2