Page 2 of 7
I have a rough demo of the song that I might upload ready.

Chopped it out in an hour in my friend's closet haha. I want to get a better recording for the actual release.
Been wanting to get in on one of these for a while, and as it happens I've been trying to write a a bunch of folk-oriented songs. I'll see what I can do
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Count me in, por favor

EDIT: My music is solo acoustic instrumental
My God, it's full of stars!
I have a song planned out. I'll work on it as much as I can this week, when I'm not lying to myself that I'm actually studying.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I might give this a shot if I have a chance.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm in. It's about time I did one of these.

What's the usual method of uploading the song, and how good are the recordings? I've got a decent 16 track, but honestly I'd rather just cut it live and record with my iPhone or something.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by Toadvine
I'm in. It's about time I did one of these.

What's the usual method of uploading the song, and how good are the recordings? I've got a decent 16 track, but honestly I'd rather just cut it live and record with my iPhone or something.

Well, get it with the 16 track if you can. For a lot of listeners, the quality has to hit some sort of benchmark to be listenable, so I would really advise against recording through an iPhone...
Add me to the list! I've had a few acoustic ideas I've been kicking around that I need to do something with, all the more motivation
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
I'd be up for this. Quit my band a while ago, so I've been working solely on acoustic stuff. Have about 10 songs. All I gotta do is get decent recordings. I'll upload what I have to my profile.
I have so many lyrics written and ready to go.

But I have so much trouble starting to record. I mean, I can play them fine and sing them fine, but just starting to record them is the hard part.

All I have to record is a Samsung mic, which I can either go like: Mic > Guitar amp (no mic amp) > USB recording thingy > Computer

Or I can just go Mic > USB recording thingy > Computer

The thing is, if I go with option B then there would be no EQ stuff (mids, treble, bass etc) cause I do that with my amp.

Does option A sound like it could work?

I mean, I could always play guitar and sing at the same time, but then I'm afraid that the mic will pick up either the guitar or my voice too loudly/not enough

Any advice?
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by skylerjames13
I have so many lyrics written and ready to go.

But I have so much trouble starting to record. I mean, I can play them fine and sing them fine, but just starting to record them is the hard part.

All I have to record is a Samsung mic, which I can either go like: Mic > Guitar amp (no mic amp) > USB recording thingy > Computer

Or I can just go Mic > USB recording thingy > Computer

The thing is, if I go with option B then there would be no EQ stuff (mids, treble, bass etc) cause I do that with my amp.

Does option A sound like it could work?

I mean, I could always play guitar and sing at the same time, but then I'm afraid that the mic will pick up either the guitar or my voice too loudly/not enough

Any advice?

What are you recording with, exactly? You may consider getting an audio interface and an actual microphone, USB ones are cheapy and they won't produce very good results. You can try a free DAW like Reaper (if that still exists?) or GarageBand if you're on a 'tosh. There are tons of resources for learning to record music the 'right way' all around the internet, I'd suggest Winksound, they have tons of free videos on even the most basic of recording subjects.

Make yourself an expert on the subject if it's something you're really interested in, PM me if you've got any questions. And maybe listen to a couple of my recordings because you may decide my recordings suck and you don't want to take my advice, haha.

https://soundcloud.com/dougjusticemusic/youtopia-armin-van-buuren-adam
Quote by Altitudinous
What are you recording with, exactly? You may consider getting an audio interface and an actual microphone, USB ones are cheapy and they won't produce very good results. You can try a free DAW like Reaper (if that still exists?) or GarageBand if you're on a 'tosh. There are tons of resources for learning to record music the 'right way' all around the internet, I'd suggest Winksound, they have tons of free videos on even the most basic of recording subjects.

Make yourself an expert on the subject if it's something you're really interested in, PM me if you've got any questions. And maybe listen to a couple of my recordings because you may decide my recordings suck and you don't want to take my advice, haha.

https://soundcloud.com/dougjusticemusic/youtopia-armin-van-buuren-adam

I'll PM you. Thanks
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I'd be interested in this.

I've a soundboard, so I'll mic my acoustic and then plug into my laptop via MIDI. I think I can find some decent free recording software.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 29, 2012,
Cool, getting a ton of people. Alex, Reaper is usually the go-to for UG recording artists because you can kinda work around the fact that it's trialware and still use it after the trial period has waned.

I'll get around to adding everyone to the list after work today.
Quote by blake1221
Well...here's the demo of the song I'm thinking about doing.

Like I said, recorded it in an hour, in a closet.

http://wherethezooends.tumblr.com/post/32694360561/im-obsessed-with-dear-and-the-headlights-and-so

That's pretty damn good.
Quote by L2112Lif
Dear everyone: How's progress going? Got anything new to report? I see I've got a few people to add to the list, and a few updates to make to the OP, and I'm gonna update everything tomorrow morning. Right now, I've got... Pillow.

I have a song I recorded a few months ago. Am I able to use it? It's solo acoustic guitar
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Saint78
Super awesome, Blake.

Quote by L2112Lif
That's pretty damn good.

Thank you very much, dudes.
Hey guys, I have a question.

Usually I double-track, bit of reverb etc etc but recently I'm pretty fed up with it all. So I sat down today and had one mic on my guitar and another on my voice. I've been learning this Skip James song recently. Basically what I want to know is - if I were to record in the same manner again - is this good enough sound quality/production to make the album?

Link: http://soundcloud.com/michaeloneilmusic/hes-a-mighty-good-leader-cover
Quote by Saint78
Are we allowed to use MIDI strings?

This is a good question, can I use midi strings running through vst's?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm in
If you're traveling in the North Country Fair
Where the winds hit heavy on the borderline
Remember me to the one who lives there
For she once was a true love of mine
I have a demo recorded. I'm using it as a "scratch track" so I can make a studio version over it.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
This is a good question, can I use midi strings running through vst's?

What kind of samples would you be using/how organic do they sound? I don't want to be a super-stickler about this, ugh... How about this, get a peer to review pieces with MIDI of acoustic instruments, or run it by me. If it sounds too fake, maybe someone could fix it or you could find a reference to help you make it sound more genuine. If not, then cut it for the album version... But keep it around, maybe we could compile an album of kinda acoustic later or in tandem.
Last edited by L2112Lif at Oct 10, 2012,
Quote by L2112Lif
What kind of samples would you be using/how organic do they sound? I don't want to be a super-stickler about this, ugh... How about this, get a peer to review pieces with MIDI of acoustic instruments, or run it by me. If it sounds too fake, maybe someone could fix it or you could find a reference to help you make it sound more genuine. If not, then cut it for the album version... But keep it around, maybe we could compile an album of kinda acoustic later or in tandem.

Oh, well my song I shitted out doesn't have strings in it, so I don't need this problem
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I've had major writer's block for the past few months and I can't get past basic ideas I've had for this. I might steal Blake's idea and lock myself in a closet for an hour.
that song took a day to write and another for the lyrics, then like three days to refine. The recording was done in an hour