Page 2 of 3
If you have a lot of dirt/grime buildup, I actually recommend using a slightly damp cloth followed with a dry cloth to wipe it down. Wiping a guitar down with a slightly damp cloth isn't really going to do anything to hurt the finish, especially if you wipe it down with a dry cloth afterwards. If the buildup is really bad, using a very mild detergent (such as dishwashing soup) diluted in water may be helpful...

If the guitar doesn't have a lot of buildup, I recommend wiping it down with a dry cloth and then using some sort of guitar polish/cleaner. The smell won't go away at first, but with regular cleaning/maitenance it will fade.

Don't really understand the adversion to using a damp cloth. As RMB said, many of the polish/cleaners on the market are water based anyway.
I was at a rehearsal at some friend's place and the guitar player borrowed me his fender for some jamming and it reeked of piss and I asked what the hell that was and he said he had dropped it on the girl's room bathroom floor... so there I was, in my white t, with yellow girl piss stains cross my shoulder and back...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I agree with Eppicurt 100%. The way I approach it, without questioning how water-based Formula 65 Polish Kit is, I'd still use the cleaner instead of just water. Using just water sounds to me that it doesn't really wipe off the smell... I don't know if it does.

The products don't cost much and any sort of guitar store should have them in stock. So I don't see why one should use just water. Saying they're waste, well might be, but this is my approach and opinion. Use Formula 65 or any other same kind of product and you'll do well. At times when I was really sweating after a long set, I needed more than to just wipe the guitar with a cloth. I think that works as an example. Use some Carnauba Wax on the body after treating it with the polish, makes the finish real shiny. My guitar looks really good with it and so does my friend's. I have a Gibson yeah, so it's nitro, but it hasn't damaged it, as it shouldn't. Otherwise Dunlop could have a serious problem with their product(s) if it damaged nitro.

If you use lemon oil on the fretboard, do as Wesbanez said, the fretboard does not want to reek of oil. You might just want to clean it with, for example, the cleaner from the Formula 65 line (01). That's what I do when I re-string. I use oil as well and my Gibson's rosewood fretboard and it hasn't shrunk much from my point of view. At least the frets do not feel sharp at all.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 19, 2012,
Quote by PowerEngine
haha jacksons... they sound like shit and smell like piss

Hope you're joking. If you're not, your opinion is absolutely invalid. This Soloist he has is a fine example of an affordable Japan made guitar with quality parts.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

He must be joking, they are excellent guitars
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Quote by LPshin

The fretboard is rosewood by the way

Used guitar? Maybe someone's pet peed in the case.

New guitar and it's Indian Rosewood? Yeah, that's the way it smells. Seriously.
Dunlop 65 is for cleaning the body, not the fretboard. I have a bottle in front of me.

Use small amounts of lemon oil from the fretboard, wipe clean when done. Some will direct you to apply directly to the board, others to a cloth first. Probably has to do with its concentration amount. Just follow the directions.
Quote by Eppicurt
And you recommend cleaning guitar with water because you're braindead.

Sorry, he's right. It won't hurt a thing to use a damp cloth on a guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Sorry, he's right. It won't hurt a thing to use a damp cloth on a guitar.

x2

Clean it off with a damp cloth and wax it. For a quick clean the Dunlop 65 works well. Once a year I wax all guitars. Tape off all parts you don't want wax in.

TS throw some air freshners in the case without the guitar. If that doesn't help after a few weeks then time to get a new case.
Quote by R45VT
Dunlop 65 is for cleaning the body, not the fretboard. I have a bottle in front of me.

Use small amounts of lemon oil from the fretboard, wipe clean when done. Some will direct you to apply directly to the board, others to a cloth first. Probably has to do with its concentration amount. Just follow the directions.

Wrong, Dunlop 65 is the name of Dunlop's whole guitar mainentenance product line
http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/accessories/formula-65
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Body - Clean it with a damp cloth
Back of neck - Clean it with a damp cloth
Fretboard - Clean it with oil
Metal parts - Metal cleaner or something else, not water

Guitars bodies are sealed before they are primed, then painted and then a heavy top coat. Necks are sealed and then top coated usually.
A rosewood fretboard is bare wood and needs oil to keep water out.
The guitars 3 years old, Its been in its case for most of its life,, thats what the owner told me, He said he doesnt have a pet either... I will go buy some wax and polish today cheers guys
wow, 3 pages on guitars that smell like piss?

i didn't know UG knew so much about pissy smelling equipment.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I just know that water helps!!!

*** Runs away fast!!!!!
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Water doesn't help... It just doesn't hurt either.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Its a interesting thread, Im sure not many people have come across a guitar that smells like piss
Eppicurt, for a super high end guitar your reasoning would definitely apply. Its a terrible idea to get water on a guitar. especially a nice one.

that said, I don't think a slightly damp cloth is going to hurt a Jackson. especially if it never touches the wood.

TS, don't use water on the neck. only on the body. But I think the 65 kit is a better idea, since its got all the funky smelling stuff in it.
Dude just spray it down with a pressure washer.

That's what I do.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Dude just spray it down with a pressure washer.

That's what I do.

On a serious note, a damp cloth is not going to hurt a guitar.. You know that they most likely wet sand guitar finishes before buffing/polishing as part of the finishing process. You know before staining wood it is not unheard of to wipe the bare wood down with a wet cloth to get the grain to stand up.

But if you wipe it with a damp cloth water is not even getting near the wood.. There's poly, paint, and a sealer on top of the wood.

The Dunlop kit is great though, I bought one a few years ago. I use it on multiple guitars and the only thing I'm running low on is the string conditioner or whatever.

If wiping it clean with a cloth doesn't work then get the Dunlop kit. And if your guitar rots out and crumbles to pieces because you exposed it to water then that's my bad. Don't forget to not ever take your guitars outside because they could get termites.
/rig
Quote by RMB
Eppicurt, when you have a gig outside and it starts raining a bit, do you tell the crown to f*ck off and go inside because you think your guitar will damage :P?

Just dry it well with a towel. A dampened cloth doens't even need drying since it will evaporate in a sec.

I wouldn't EVER play an outside gig unless it was under cover. If I was in a situation where stuff started to get wet, I'd pack the hell up and get everything under cover ASAP. Taking guitars, amps and pedals out under the open sky, especially here in the UK where the weather is inclement at best, is just asking to get everything ruined. Last time I checked, electronics and a downpour do not mix.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Also, in regards to cleaning products, I've found the absolute best thing to shift stubborn grime and dirt on a guitar is naptha, aka lighter fluid. Evaporates after use so no residue or dampness left behind, and will fetch any muck off you care to think of. Good for cleaning metal too. Only thing you don't wanna put it near is fretboard, it'll dry the wood out something terrible.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Vintage Tubes!
Goddamn this thread. TS just wipe down the painted parts of your guitar with a slightly damp rag and polish the fretboard with lemon oil. If that doesn't work, you're pretty much screwed.
If it smells like piss, it's probably piss, and probably cat piss, at that. An open guitar case on the floor is very much like a litter box to a cat. One probably did it in the case. Of course the seller said that he knows nothing. What else would you expect from a dickhead?

There's a thing about cat piss. It's got a very different make-up from most piss; that's why it smells so bad and is such a pain to get rid if. There's stuff available at pet stores that's mostly an enzyme, not really a cleanser, which breaks down cat piss. It's the only thing I've come across that will really get rid of the stuff and its smell completely. You can get it in a spray or in a concentrate you mix yourself. As far as I know, it doesn't harm finishes, either, so you could wipe down your guitar. You could even probably save the case if you clean it like you would a car interior. Use the enzyme stuff first and then use some spray on upholstery cleaner.

Anyway, I grew up with cats, have a few now, and there's nothing else I know of that neutralizes cat piss. You can clean away and have your world smelling like roses but when the scent of the cleaning product weakens over time, you'll notice that the cat piss smell is still there. This enzyme stuff prevents that. I haven't had to buy it in a long, long time so go call Pet Smart et al for the name. It was $9-10, if I remember.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Sep 20, 2012,
omg this thread....should be a sticky. no pun intended

but seriously, do these suggestions apply if i got poop on my 9th fret?
Quote by thetoneranger

Nah, that's just a crap guitar mate
Gear:
Vintage Tubes!
Quote by thetoneranger

Isn't pooh water based? You might need a new guitar, this one's about to asplode
I've played outside gigs where it started to rain and yes, we stopped playing and told the crowd to **** off. Granted it was mainly because of the amps and PA but still - yes, **** the crowd. Power off - gig over. I'm not destroying equipment or getting electrocuted for anybody.

And anyway this thread just proves that people are wrong when they say Jacksons aren't worth pissing on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by thetoneranger
\ do these suggestions apply if i got poop on my 9th fret?

Tis shit on ye 9th fret? Ye must rub ye's shit into ye's guitar.
Tis shit smell you dislike?ye will must grow fond of it.

I'm not being serial.
This is a verry funny thread.
Last edited by KISSmyass666 at Sep 20, 2012,
Just thought of somethig as funny as this thread:

On tosh.o there was a video of a someone shiting in a poted plant in a food cort of a mall.

F*CK'IN FUNNY LOL He did'ent wipe!
Quote by Cathbard
I've played outside gigs where it started to rain and yes, we stopped playing and told the crowd to **** off. Granted it was mainly because of the amps and PA but still - yes, **** the crowd. Power off - gig over. I'm not destroying equipment or getting electrocuted for anybody.

I once heard you say you've changed tubes at an outdoor gig in the rain.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I once heard you say you've changed tubes at an outdoor gig in the rain.

That was one of those things that people call a joke.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That was one of those things that people call a joke.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up now. I guess I need to go scratch that off from my list of acceptable electronics practices.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!