Anybody have any experience with these pedals?
I found a great deal on an MXR 6 band, but I'm questioning whether it'd make more sense to go for the boss with the extra band, or even the MXR 10 band eq
Thanks
The Boss is better, hands down. It has a level slider, which the 6 band does not have. The level slider is really important to have. The extra band really isn't even an issue in comparison.

The 10 Band, on the other hand, is much more debatable. Sort of. The 10 Band is for all intents and purposes better than the Boss in functionality, but I just have a personal gripe with the fact that it's not 9V. That pisses me off, since I need a separate adapter for it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would seriously reccomend skipping em both an dgoing at the mxr 10 band.
much more versatiile and more tone shaping allowed there.. as well as a gain increas slider.
yeah the extra power source is a pain but its worth the extra time to plug her in.
Yeah 10band MXR is great other than the 18v... What a pain.

If you are going to spend the money spend a little more and get the 10band.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
My MXR 10 band came with a 18V power supply, so I don't know what the pain is.
You can't daisy chain it. It takes up real estate on your power strip. It's another thing to do when you're setting up/tearing down.

For me, it's really nice just being able to plug in my pedalboard, and be done with it. Messing around with multiple power supplies going to my board would be annoying.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Between the two the mxr hands down the boss is way to noisy for what it is.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
just to give the other side of the story, the 18 volts being provided to the 10 band should give it more dynamic range. other than the pain of powering it (i don't see it as an issue personally, but i have lots of odd powered pedals), an 18V powered pedal is usually associated with a higher quality product.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The 10 band will work with 9v, but 18v is better. I use mine with a powered pedalboard that has 3 outlets so it makes it very simple. Here's a pic:

Guitars:
Jackson DKMGT
Squier CVC
Amps:
Peavey 6505+/Mesa 4x12
Pedalboard:
TC Polytune
ISP Decimator G String
Green Rhino
MXR Phase 90
MXR 10 band EQ
BBE Sonic Stomp
Guyatone MDm5 Delay
Guyatone MD3 Delay
TC Hall of Fame Reverb
If you want to daisy chain it voodoo labs doues make a 18 volt adapter. I am just throwing it out there if that is a concern.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
The MXR can run on a 9 volt.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
That pic reminded me, another big reason I dislike the 10 band is how much space it takes up. Boss size is the perfect size.

Good point about the 9V - 18V adapter though. I'll concede there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
mxr is a better EQ pedal but i wont buy it for the following reasons:

A - its too darn big, and i can get the same functionality in a boss sized package. the board is not big, dont have that much real-estate

B - 18 volts. PITA. if i start buying 10 volt pedals, i need a good power supply....another 100 bucks. then i dont have the real-estate = build myself a bigger board. so this means 100 bucks plus more labor.

C - i get my self confused with the boss 7 bands wtf would i do with 10.

D - boss does everything the MXR does but minus 3 bands in a smaller package that fits on my board, for cheaper.

so for my intensive purposes, and the fact that i got the boss for 40 bucks used, i really have no utility for any other EQ pedal. in fact, my EQ pedal is not even currently on my board at all.

my 2 cents.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)