Page 1 of 4
Explorerbuilder
3,172 IQ
After i was sure i was going to be done with guitars, I gave it a couple months of not building.

One day a design came to my mind though, and i just had to make a template. I based it off an explorer, but made it much more agressive. I dont know what to call it just yet. But i am loving it.

So with a bit more motivation, i picked up some body wood, and got started on it.

Then i got the neck cut out:

Thats all i have done for now, until i replace the bearings on my bandsaw.
kiaba94
736 IQ
i really like that body shape. its freaking awesome.
X-plorer88
Unlisted User
1,397 IQ
I have huge respect for luthiers. Love the design.
I'd lose the little curl on the horn, but other than that it's a really cool take on a classic design. Thats just me though. I'm not trying to tell you to change it.
Well done.
DJ_Effrey
A metal DJ
600 IQ
that's awesome; I made a fairly basic explorer about a year ago, but that design is heaps better. love it
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,541 IQ
Looks great man. Reminds me of the ESP snakebyte.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Well, if you want a name that suggests aggressive exploring, how about Conquistador?
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by logicbdj
A Klingon Explorer

Annoyingly, none of the online Klingon dictionaries I could find had a word for 'explorer' in Klingon. The closest I could find was chIjwI' , meaning 'navigator'.
callumbloodpuke
94 IQ
looks awesome, not over designed or too jaggedy like most of the the ugly guitars people make to try and look original
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!
3,299 IQ
I like everything but the lower horn. It's a bit too long and curved for my tastes.

I really missed seeing your Explorers while you were on a building break.
DISPLACED
whoomit
1,492 IQ
Quote by timbit2006
I like everything but the lower horn. It's a bit too long and curved for my tastes.

These are a fantastic couple of sentences out of context.
logicbdj
Tab Contributor
4,569 IQ
I think the lower horn would look fine if the headstock had that extra upward curve to balance it. Maybe something that can be glued in place?
Explorerbuilder
3,172 IQ
Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I experimented with different angles and lengths with the lower horn. The whole body is a little bit smaller than an explorer already. The horn isnt all that long, its just the cutaway that makes it look longer than it is.

This is mainly a prototype anyway. If i end up liking it, I am going to make a 28" sclale baritone one, with a super figured top.
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Thanks for all the replies everybody!

I experimented with different angles and lengths with the lower horn. The whole body is a little bit smaller than an explorer already. The horn isnt all that long, its just the cutaway that makes it look longer than it is.

This is mainly a prototype anyway. If i end up liking it, I am going to make a 28" sclale baritone one, with a super figured top.

I'm not sure about the reverse headstock with it, though. Just my opinion, but maybe it would look better the other way round?
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,246 IQ
You always make guitars that i would castrate a child to own.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,541 IQ
I like it being reversed. You possibly could have tried to add something over the standard ESP-type shape, though.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
slapsymcdougal
Banned
1,961 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I tried it both ways. It looks better reverse, because its pointing the same way as the horn.

Suppose so. Either way, I'll be interested to see how it turns out.
Explorerbuilder
3,172 IQ
Quote by eddiehimself
I like it being reversed. You possibly could have tried to add something over the standard ESP-type shape, though.

I tried that too, but it was too hard to get the tuner holes to line up for straight pull from the nut if i made it resemble the body. I tried a ton of different things.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Nice, glad to see you building again.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
-MintSauce-
Time Lord
2,394 IQ
I really like it, but the curved lower horn seems out of place. If you removed it, the design would be too much like a Snakebyte, so how about adding a curve and sharp end to the rear section under the shoulder?
-MintSauce-
Time Lord
2,394 IQ
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I might tweak it in the future. But for now, I am not going to change this body, especially not after i already have it all cut out.

Yeah, dude. You'd be insane to do anything now, and it still looks killer.
zakkwyldefan79
Retired GB&C Mod
1,429 IQ
When it comes to Explorer style guitars I only like true Gibson shaped Explorers. Not a fan of Jackson Kellys, ESP/LTD EXs or Snakebite, Ibanez Destroyers or any other Explorer rip off. You've made some awesome Explorers and I'd love to have one, but I'm not a fan of this shape.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
I like what you're doing with the body woods, might I suggest the name of, the expeditionary?
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
That is the most absolutely gorgeous fitting neck I have ever seen, you deserve much praise.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
MickAlmighty
UGs ONLY Human-Raccoon
1,326 IQ
Am I the only one the likes the longer horn???

Adds a bit if iceman to the design (a soft spot for me).

I agree with everyone on the headstock... Even shaving it down a touch and adding a jaggy bit like the body would make it more fitting...
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...