Page 1 of 2
maybe a silly question. But im in preparation to launch an EP. So im asking it.

can u name some melodic death metal, death metal bands that use D# tuning.

thanks...
Last edited by Free_Fall at Sep 22, 2012,
Why does it matter what other bands tune to? It's your music.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Is it a problem.. well, what do you think? Can you write melodic death metal in D#?
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
I guarantee that nobody who listens to your music will remotely care what you're tuned to
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I guarantee that nobody will listen to your music if you are tuned to the a frequency that is objectively wrong, regardless of the quality of the composition or production.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by steven seagull
I guarantee that nobody who listens to your music will remotely care what you're tuned to

Except in the case of the kiddie death metal crowd, where the consensus is 'omg, this is tuned uber low, the guitar is three fulsteps below the low E of a bass guitar! its so brutal!'. That segment of the metal fanbase is however only three people
^And then you have the other guys who tell you "Omg this guitar is tuned lower than E, go play some country dude!". You don't have to tune that low anyway.

To be honest, it probably won't sound the same as what death metal usually sounds but that doesn't mean it will be bad. It's usually rock bands that tune to Eb.
Don't melodic death metal bands use tunings like D standard and drop C? It's just half steps higher. And it's not the tuning that makes you sound brutal. You can sound brutal in standard tuning and you can sound not brutal in drop tunings. And why do you have to play in Eb, can't you tune lower if it bothers you? But half step down or up doesn't really make it sound that different.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
you'll be stoned to death if you tune to d#
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Call it Eb and you'll be fine.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....

But it's actually illegal to tune to D# for death metal. More specifically, it's a felony.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Why do you care?

(And, yes, most of the time people talk about that tuning as being Eb, not D#.)

If that's how you want to play, play that way.
There's a tuning thread in the metal forum that will answer your question.
Cannibal Corpse used Eb for a few albums I think.. So there's definitely nothing wrong with using it for death metal.

Tuning doesn't matter so much as tone when it comes to playing heavy.
---------------------------
Here have a waffle!
(>^_^)>#
It's all good. Sylosis tune to E and sound lots heavier then most bands.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Quote by Xiaoxi
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....

But it's actually illegal to tune to D# for death metal. More specifically, it's a felony.

You are pathetic dude..

Whatever thanks to all for helping me out.
Quote by Free_Fall
You are pathetic dude..

You clearly know nothing about nothing so do us all more informed people a favor and sit in the back of the classroom with your mouth shut where you belong.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Quote by Free_Fall
You are pathetic dude..

He was joking if you didn't get it. His point was: play in whatever tuning you want, it doesn't matter because the question was a bit stupid.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Free_Fall
You are pathetic dude..

I'm not the one committing a felony.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Hail
You clearly know nothing about nothing so do us all more informed people a favor and sit in the back of the classroom with your mouth shut where you belong.

How do u knw i knw nothing? Saying D# instead of Eb...or asking whether D# tuning will make my sound more crunchy which can sound bad? I knw in flames tune on C, dark tranquility, insomnium on D , etc. Thats why just asked(not giving any explanation just saying cause it seems u have no idea on different tuning and that is why u make fun) ...

But u know CLEARLY i knw nothing......this is even more pathetic. and also do not knowing is not a fault that ppl will make fun on that.

Whatever.... it was very much offensive...Try to learn how to behave and to be decent. Do not degrade yourself and your nationality.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm not the one committing a felony.

Not knwing something is not a felony. U r 22 but u lack maturity.
Free_Fall doesn't know a joke when he sees one.

Xiaoxi was making a joke and you've successfully made a complete jack-ass out of your self.

Gratz.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 23, 2012,
Stern words, awkward English, no sense of humor. Must be German.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Stern words, awkward English, no sense of humor. Must be German.

...and u r over Smart, Irritating, Jerk and U must be American.

Thank you.
Quote by Free_Fall
...and u r over Smart, Irritating, Jerk and U must be American.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wuZ3EWMAA

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Have you not realised the whole... 'acting like an immature asshat' theme running through your last few posts Freefall?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Tuning lower can definitely help. I would never play, say, old-school Swedish death metal in E or Eb. But, for melodic stuff? Quality of riffs comes from composition, and since you're making melodeath it's bound to be flowery, catchy crap anyway, so you won't lose out too much by not ripping off In Flames riffs in the original tuning.
Quote by Free_Fall
How do u knw i knw nothing? Saying D# instead of Eb...or asking whether D# tuning will make my sound more crunchy which can sound bad? I knw in flames tune on C, dark tranquility, insomnium on D , etc. Thats why just asked(not giving any explanation just saying cause it seems u have no idea on different tuning and that is why u make fun) ...

dark tranquillity plays in C# lol

also
Quote by Free_Fall
...and u r over Smart, Irritating, Jerk and U must be American

you have titanium willpower for not instantly sigging this, xiaoxi
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Xiaoxi you don't know shit about death metal. Cannibal Corpse (from Eaten Back to Life - the Bleeding), Morbid Angel (until they started using 7 strings), Deicide (on all albums) and Vital Remains (earlier stuff) all used Eb. As for melodic DM/Gothenburg metal they pretty much just use C standard/possibly drop C. Eg, Black Dahlia Murder, Arch Enemy with Angela, Dethklok.
Quote by Zoosadist
Xiaoxi you don't know shit about death metal. Cannibal Corpse (from Eaten Back to Life - the Bleeding), Morbid Angel (until they started using 7 strings), Deicide (on all albums) and Vital Remains (earlier stuff) all used Eb. As for melodic DM/Gothenburg metal they pretty much just use C standard/possibly drop C. Eg, Black Dahlia Murder, Arch Enemy with Angela, Dethklok.

Quote by Zoosadist

k if this is serious i'd like to extend an apology/congratulations to the op

i apologize for thinking you were an idiot, op, because this post has made me re-examine my definition based upon the sheer scope of the dumbassery contained within it

i also congratulate you on no longer being considered a giant idiot, because i'm pretty sure a person like this marks his socks "l" and "r" to avoid morning confusion
Quote by Zoosadist
Xiaoxi you don't know shit about death metal. Cannibal Corpse (from Eaten Back to Life - the Bleeding), Morbid Angel (until they started using 7 strings), Deicide (on all albums) and Vital Remains (earlier stuff) all used Eb.

what does that have to do with d# tuning
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Who cares what tuning you use? Stevie Ray Vaughn and Thin Lizzy used Eb tuning as well. Slayer uses it as well. Eb is pretty common in rock and metal.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Page 1 of 2