Page 1 of 2
billydan225
post punk<3
144 IQ
what im asking is what type of music influenced you to play bass like you're style sorry if im confusing you guys just didnt know how to put it in words.
I like punk and post-punk
Last edited by billydan225 at Sep 22, 2012,
moody git
i probably won't commit
360 IQ
in flames acoustic sections, marco hietala, chris wolstenholme, tm stevens, tim commerford, tomas haake, ryan martinie and seventh wonder as a whole.
EDIT: nothing better to do so i'll expand somewhat

in flames: more melodic parts such as the interludes within 'jester script transfigured'
marco hietala: more with fills etc AND THAT TONE.
chris wolstenholme: more of a front line bass, riffs and being the driving force behind many songs
TM Stevens: GET THA' FUNK.
Tim commerford: simple is more. just straight groove.
thomas haake: syncopation and gave me more of an insight into drums
ryan martinie: just opened my eyes to more of what the bass can do in a metal context and learning some of his stuff improved my playing and theory to no end
seventh wonder-andreas blomqvist: well shit.. sheer melodic lines see: long way home and the great escape.

i may add more if i feel inclined
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Sep 22, 2012,
institutions
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
95 IQ
Japanese pop music mostly.
Also a bit of progressive, like Floyd and Rush.
FrozenNile
869 IQ
Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Jean Baudin, Colour Haze and Cliff Burton.
billydan225
post punk<3
144 IQ
metallica,the strokes,sex poistols.post-punk
Kiffa
Porch Monkey 4 Life
182 IQ
RnB at first, then psych and funk etc.
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck
845 IQ
Sex Pistols, Clash and Stranglers. Straight ahead, no ****in about.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
ToxXicSixString
430 IQ
I was starting to feel board with the bass, and i started listening to Iron Maiden and Steve Harris gave me a burst of life that I had not felt in a year or so. Also even though he is not a bassist I have had a even larger shot of life and inspiration for writing and learning from some of the interviews I have read of Randy Rhoads and books about him.
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!
342 IQ
Nothing really. I hadn't started really listening to music until after I had picked up bass. My dad has played bass since he was a teenager and he's the real reason I picked it up.

My current style though was mostly influenced by bands like Hole, Big Black, Ministry, and other noise rock type bands
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Last edited by CJ Noble at Sep 26, 2012,
dark Mass
ZORK
523 IQ
Symphonic Metal, Power Metal, Jazz, and Fusion got me started playing bass.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Gessu
Learning Brain Drill! NOT
1,217 IQ
Almost everything, ranging from technical death metal to funky slap bass
Metal is like a apple, no-one likes the core.
J3G2
66 IQ
Other music fails to inspire me these days, sadly. I'm more inspired by playing my band's music, whether it be at rehearsals or whilst I'm practising.

I've become a tone wh0re so as soon as I find a nice solo tone from my amps then I'm ready to rock. Flatwound strings has played a big part in this.
sam_ofzo
360 IQ
Most britpop makes me want to pick up my bass and start playing.
Tony Kanal & Adrian Young (No Doubt's rythm section) both influence me very much in my playing in my band.

But my biggest inspiration as of late is Armin Metz, you should all realy check him out. He plays incredible music both in a solo-project as in the Nadishana Trio
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Tristanaaaa
10 IQ
the bass and rock music influenced me and Robert Johnson is my inspiration.Every artist has unknowingly been influenced by him.
Bass Beast
627 IQ
Justin Chancellor and Cliff burton, And alot of progressive metal.
Quote by askrere
Why do so many guitarists and drummers come here to ask help for their bass players?? Are we that shy in the wild?

Use bait!

Bass player looks nervous!

Use safari ball!

... ... ... !

bass player got away...
billydan225
post punk<3
144 IQ
Quote by J3G2
Other music fails to inspire me these days, sadly. I'm more inspired by playing my band's music, whether it be at rehearsals or whilst I'm practising.

I've become a tone wh0re so as soon as I find a nice solo tone from my amps then I'm ready to rock. Flatwound strings has played a big part in this.

theres no good music only gay pop
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
2,041 IQ
What initially got me into it was Mike Dirnt from green day and Duff McKagen from GnR. Recently stuff like BTBAM and Protest The Hero (especially on "she who mars the skin of gods") makes me want to pick it up because, especially as a guitarist, the bass lines being just as hard as the guitar parts makes it a fun challenge.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
zackman13
36 IQ
Progressive Rock, specifically geddy lee and mike rutherford. put mostly 70's prog , just had such intricate and awesome sounding bass lines.
J3G2
66 IQ
Quote by billydan225
theres no good music only gay pop

Erm....say whaa?
m!ghty G.I.R
21 IQ
mostly Alternative rock/metal(rush, RATM, Limp Bizkit, Tool, Arctic Monkeys, RHCP). But also hard rock, like Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath(actually learning N.I.B and War Pigs right now).

But I gotta say, my newest inspiration is Gov't Mule, which I wouldn't categorize as hard rock or metal...
edgeyyz
I take out the trash
893 IQ
The stuff that got me into playing bass was Metallica, Rush, RHCP, you know, the typical stuff. The kind of things that I play nowadays include Rush, Muse, RATM, Porcupine Tree, HTT, Maiden, Zeppelin, and a bunch of other stuff.
billydan225
post punk<3
144 IQ
Quote by J3G2
Erm....say whaa?

niki manaj 1d botdf stuff like that theres no good music like it used to be i dont mind alternative or
indie
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
2,041 IQ
that's not the only music to listen to. That may be more popular, but it is far from the only music out there.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
pwnadgebunny
774 IQ
it began mostly with pop punk which made me interested in bass back when i was like 8 years old but i didn't pick the bass up til i was 12.
King Of Suede
UG's Unicycling Bassist
883 IQ
Whenever I need motivation to play, I just listen to some Janek Gwizdala. Dude changed the way I approach the electric.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae2CTHdQZMg

Quote by billydan225
niki manaj 1d botdf stuff like that theres no good music like it used to be i dont mind alternative or
indie

Not sure if trolling er....

If you say theres no good music, either you're not looking hard enough or you're just a jaded asshat.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Oct 9, 2012,
kova.lee
81 IQ
When I started playing bass, I was doing a lot of Cliff Burton-style stuff before I even knew who he was (I started playing bass when I was 16 but never heard a Metallica song until I was 18 and didn't get into them until I was like 21).

Nowadays, however, I do more emphasis on rhythm and so I look to Bill Leeb (Delerium) for my style.
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
1,720 IQ
Honestly, I picked up the bass MOSTLY because of Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe and Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine.

Now, I'm really into Dan Briggs of BTBAM and Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse (I'm so shocked he hasn't been mentioned yet!) and Arif Miradolbaghi of Protest the Hero.

Weirdly enough, I don't USUALLY enjoy playing metal bass. I like hiphop and Indie/Alternative and atmospheric and... other genres?

I like everything :|
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
punk_mike_88
1,050 IQ
My favourite style of bass playing is the melodic, almost "lead bass" style. My three favourite players right now are Andy Rourke (the Smiths), David Wm. Sims (Jesus Lizard), and Brian Cook (Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, Russian Circles, etc.). I can't stand it when bass players just play along with the guitar. Where's the fun in that? Lowered pitch shouldn't mean lowered importance in a band. The three guys I've mentioned make their presence known without overtaking everything.
Member #6 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by King Of Suede
Whenever I need motivation to play, I just listen to some Janek Gwizdala. Dude changed the way I approach the electric.

digging the benavente! scott fernandez has a 12 string from the same luthier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0ondpk0jE
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by punk_mike_88
My favourite style of bass playing is the melodic, almost "lead bass" style. My three favourite players right now are Andy Rourke (the Smiths), David Wm. Sims (Jesus Lizard), and Brian Cook (Botch, These Arms Are Snakes, Russian Circles, etc.). I can't stand it when bass players just play along with the guitar. Where's the fun in that? Lowered pitch shouldn't mean lowered importance in a band. The three guys I've mentioned make their presence known without overtaking everything.

It's not about fun, it's about how it sounds. Sometimes the song needs the bass to play the same as guitars to make the riff sound huge. Sometimes just hitting the open E string sounds awesome. Listen to Runnin with the Devil. The song wouldn't be anything without the bass hitting quarters on open E string.

I also like that kind of cool fills and stuff but sometimes the song needs AC/DC kind of one note basslines.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I also like that kind of cool fills and stuff but sometimes the song needs AC/DC kind of one note basslines.

well at that point you might just not want to play with that band
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by Hail
well at that point you might just not want to play with that band

Why? Playing together is fun, no matter what you play. I don't really care about how fun my playing parts are, I want to make good music and if the music needs an AC/DC kind of bass part, I play it. It satisfies me if it sounds good. If the part is fun to play and it doesn't sound good, it doesn't satisfy me and it's not fun to play any more. I mean, of course you don't want to practice AC/DC songs at home because there's nothing to practice about them but playing simple songs with a band can be fun. Being able to make something sound good is the main point in playing in a band.

Also if the bandmates are my close friends, I rather play with them than with some other guys.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c