Page 1 of 2
Howdy!

So I'm taking off to Australia tomorrow for 6 months. Going to be around the Melbourne area. Any advice? Currently no job and pretty low on cash. I'll try to get along without working as long as possible, but I might have to.
What are you planning to do there...?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My advice would be not to say "howdy"... You should start saying "g'day"!
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Sleep in a Kangaroo's pouch to save some dough. You can be like that Kanghaskhan kid.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Kensai
What are you planning to do there...?

Work and learn on smaller farms. No payment, just for food and shelter. Then come back to Sweden and start growing organic weed.

The kangaroos pouch is a must-do, I'll definitely find a weak one that can't kick my ass.

G'day!
Quote by MetalMullet
Work and learn on smaller farms. No payment, just for food and shelter. Then come back to Sweden and start growing organic weed.

The kangaroos pouch is a must-do, I'll definitely find a weak one that can't kick my ass.

G'day!

Ah ok, it's that farming project thing where you volunteer on farms worldwide?

I met a guy on an excavation this summer who did that in Australia as well. He recommends bringing a dog to maneur stacks because snakes like it there apparently.
You're WWOOFing, huh? Let us know how your stay goes. I, for one, would one day like to be a shepherd on a quiet mountainside, playing a bamboo flute in the thin mist.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Yes, WWOOFing it is. But dealing with Aussies seems pretty lengthy, just like Swedes. Can't give you a straight answer. :P Out of 3 jobs I got one so far.
^ Farming is a real and one of the oldest jobs known.
Quote by dc13
Grow up and get a real job.

The hell? Moving to Australia for six months is a pretty grown up thing to do...
Eat many Vegemite sandwiches.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Make sure you invest in some sticky shoes, otherwise you'll fall off the planet.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Just be aware of dingoes. They eat yer babies.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Bring lots of money. You have no idea how expensive everything is around here. Especially Melbourne.

That said, good choice, Melbourne is the best. Though the farms aren't really "near" it, Australia is a big place.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by MetalMullet
Howdy!

So I'm taking off to Australia tomorrow for 6 months. Going to be around the Melbourne area. Any advice? Currently no job and pretty low on cash. I'll try to get along without working as long as possible, but I might have to.

You're fucking doomed.
^^ What those last two said. Shit is expensive so you're gonna wanna get a job or some sorta support from friends/family (or have a buttload of savings) in order to have a decent time.
Good luck on your adventures though!
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
How exactly are you going about trying to find a job on a farm, and how did you conclude that moving to a city would be an appropriate course of action? (unless you're just flying into Melbourne and then making your way to the countryside straight away.)

If I were you, I'd try to aim for a job related to brewing beer. There's plenty of craft breweries in Victoria (as Jambi has told me) and you could probably get a job growing of harvesting hops in the areas surrounding Melbourne.
That's cool PM me if you want a friend, can't promise you much since I won't have my license until November
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Crazy, im doing the same thing in a month! Leaving in the beginning on november, and plan on staying for 6-8 months. In the melbourne/victoria area. Also plan on working farms/mines/fruit picking and the likes.

Pm me if you want a travel buddy while you're down there! Im also travelling on a very low budget!
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Last edited by Tobyflyr at Sep 24, 2012,
I'm slightly amazed you got visas tbh.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
In my case the visa part took only 2 days. I think scandinavia has a good reputation around the world, which might've helped a bit.
Current gear:
Hohner SE35
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Quote by Butt Rayge
How exactly are you going about trying to find a job on a farm, and how did you conclude that moving to a city would be an appropriate course of action? (unless you're just flying into Melbourne and then making your way to the countryside straight away.)

If I were you, I'd try to aim for a job related to brewing beer. There's plenty of craft breweries in Victoria (as Jambi has told me) and you could probably get a job growing of harvesting hops in the areas surrounding Melbourne.

hops are small time, fruit and vineyards are where its at.

and the best fruit and vineyards are in SA
You're gonna need cash. Bad. Stuff is expensive but jobs generally pay better (comparatively) to make up for it. Also there's not really any Australian cities that have farms close. The two areas a generally separate, so you should look forward to not very much to do leisure-wise.

And don't lie to the border security, you'll get a probin'.
Quote by Telecaster7
You're gonna need cash. Bad. Stuff is expensive but jobs generally pay better (comparatively) to make up for it. Also there's not really any Australian cities that have farms close. The two areas a generally separate, so you should look forward to not very much to do leisure-wise.

And don't lie to the border security, you'll get a probin'.

wrong, there are multiple award winning wineries less than an hours drive from Adelaide.

my uncle grows cherries and grapes half an hour out of the city. If you're prepared to pick fruit there are heaps of jobs up for grabs throughout the riverland in SA and Victoria.
Quote by Diamond Dave
wrong, there are multiple award winning wineries less than an hours drive from Adelaide.

my uncle grows cherries and grapes half an hour out of the city. If you're prepared to pick fruit there are heaps of jobs up for grabs throughout the riverland in SA and Victoria.

But who cares about Adelaide seriously though you're right, but they're not exactly rural areas, and the bigger farms that handle livestock and larger crops like wheat are generally further out.
Quote by Telecaster7
But who cares about Adelaide seriously though you're right, but they're not exactly rural areas, and the bigger farms that handle livestock and larger crops like wheat are generally further out.

yeah but farms that handle livestock and larger crops like wheat aren't the ones you're likely to get a job at either.

that's the thing with fruit picking, it takes one guy to look after everything most months of the year but when it comes time to pick its all hands on deck. That's the haven for backpackers, the crop and livestock farmers obviously need a few people too but its a lot harder to get into.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Adelaide's more of a large country town than it is a city though.
How hard is it to find and get these fruit picking jobs?
Current gear:
Hohner SE35
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Quote by Tobyflyr
How hard is it to find and get these fruit picking jobs?

Depends on the time of year, you can basically walk into it somewhere if you time it right. Don't think it's an easy job though, they'll drop you without hesitation if you're no good.
How could one be no good at picking fruit.. :S
Current gear:
Hohner SE35
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Australia's gay.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 2