I don't understand everyone saying about not to get a Bugera unless you have a fire extinguisher/you want your house to burn down etc.

Do Bugeras really catch on fire that easy? Or how did this start?

Can someone please explain
The older models were quite buggy, and prone to problems. I don't know if one ever actually caught fire, but I assume so, as thats where the joke probably started. The newer ones are pretty tight in regards to quality control though.
Quote by telemetal
The older models were quite buggy, and prone to problems. I don't know if one ever actually caught fire, but I assume so, as thats where the joke probably started. The newer ones are pretty tight in regards to quality control though.

Even so, the new ones suck.

Calling 311, calling 311....
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
They used a very janky spade connector for the hot tap from the power transformer that sometimes came loose and sometimes started smoking and burning. (I think it was the hot tap from the power transformer)

Either way, most of the fire extinguisher stuff is hyperbole. That doesn't mean that bugeras are reliable. They still suffer from cheap components and subpar quality control.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i agree they arent the highest quality. i mean, look where they are made and hoe much they cost.

but honestly the v22 i hate was quite a solid box for 350. i would buy one again if i needed a decent amp on the cheap.

i think their v series are the least problematic ones they make.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Bugera amps are fine. They constantly get crapped on by people who more than likely have never owned one...all because a few people that did own one had some issues.

Bugera amps are safe and are fine.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I see, and the frequency that people come in here with broken Bugeras are all an illusion are they?

They're a cheap Behringer product. They are what they are. Don't expect high quality and you won't be disappointed. They sound good but don't expect them to last long bouncing around in the back of the truck when dragging it around to gigs.
And keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by iamcline
Bugera amps are fine. They constantly get crapped on by people who more than likely have never owned one...all because a few people that did own one had some issues.

There's a reason why most of us haven't owned one.

I've sold plenty back in the day when our store used to stock them, and we've tons come back faulty. It's just shoddy build quality that's no less than expected with Behringer.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
i agree they have a tainted rep because of internet bashing. 10 people see 1 negative post, post "bugera catch fire" in forums 10 times, and that gets read by 1000 people and so on.

but yeah, their track record is less than stellar.

also, due to their price point and the fact that almost EVERY large music chain carried them in abundance, there are probably 100x as many bugeras out there than boutique amps.

so 1 guy having an issue with his bugera is hard to compare with there are 10000x more chances for one to fair in the real world.

_______

but a point against is still - yes. they are of lesser quality. anybody buying one should understand what they are getting at that price point.

_______

and in closing, my v22 with some tweaking / tube chances was one heck of an amp. you would be hard pressed to find an amp to match its tone under 500 bucks with comparable specs.....and i say under 500 bucks for an amp worth 350 new!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Taking into account the age of the average UG user, add in the fact they're going to be goaded into a valve amp (rightly so, they are superior to SS) and the fact that they don't usually have a large amount of money, then yeah it's not suprising we get so many 'faulty' Bugera products bouncing around this forum. yes they are made cheaply and probably are more prone to break than other (pricier) brands, but I've owned a couple of Bugera products for a few years now and they've been fine, just inevst in a spare set of valves (although most people change their valves when they get any new amp, regardless of brand). My V22 rocks the shit out of any other £200 amp.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I haven't seen too many options with the V series. It seems to be mostly the 5150/6505 copies that have the issues.

They absolutely do have problems though. Ikey your assertion about the number of them produced doesn't hold water. I've seen Thomann's rates for defective products (as in defective within the return period) and despite having a presumably smaller number shipped than Fender, Marshall or Peavey they have a higher failure rate than any of those three.

Its not atrocious, in comparison... But it is worse.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I have had a 333 for a little over 2 yrs now. I have had a few small problems with it. But there have been several people in my area alone that have had 2-3 new bugeras and they were DOA from the factory.

yes for the price you'll be hard pressed to find a new amp with the sound and features that Bugeras have. But the reliability issues are a big reality. If you are a serious giging guitarist I would sugest having a back-up amp at all times(just incase).

I use a Marshall JCM2000 in my Prog-rock/metal band and I just had a catastrophic failure in the power section PCB, so don't think that big names mean no failure. My buddys JSX and Mesa Dual Recto both had to be waranty serviced in their 1st years. But this is actualy quite rare.

I think besides the reliability issues, the majority of Bugera dislikes are because of their blatant rip-off of well known very reliable amps (Peavey,Vox,Fender,Mesa,Ampeg).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
once you get past the early phase where most of the manufacturing problems show up, they aren't too bad. A bit less sturdy than other brands, but they aren't as bad as they are made out to be. To me, I'd get a used bugera before I'd get a new one because it's past most of those early problems and if it's lasted someone 6 - 12 months until they got sick of having their amp bashed all the time it's probably going to be alright, and top for the price. Just remember that people who are unhappy with a product often come to the internet to bitch about it (even on multiple forums), it's a lot rarer for someone to go around saying how great a piece of gear is, because they're happy with it.
Quote by Kevin Saale
They used a very janky spade connector for the hot tap from the power transformer that sometimes came loose and sometimes started smoking and burning. (I think it was the hot tap from the power transformer)

Either way, most of the fire extinguisher stuff is hyperbole. That doesn't mean that bugeras are reliable. They still suffer from cheap components and subpar quality control.

+1

there was some kind of a plastic clip they used to join two points in the circuit, which was very bad practice, according to people in the know. And the early ones actually did catch fire.

(as far as i'm aware)

Quote by Cathbard
I see, and the frequency that people come in here with broken Bugeras are all an illusion are they?

They're a cheap Behringer product. They are what they are. Don't expect high quality and you won't be disappointed. They sound good but don't expect them to last long bouncing around in the back of the truck when dragging it around to gigs.
And keep a fire extinguisher handy.

+1

Quote by iamcline

excellent logic there, old chap. Why would we own one if we think they suck? If we only listened to owners, we'd only have fanboy and disgruntled opinions. Which isn't terribly helpful.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I can't believe the amount of Bugera defenders around here. Shit's comedy.

inb4 311...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I can't believe the amount of Bugera defenders around here. Shit's comedy.

inb4 311...

Guess I'm a comedian then, because I think it's mostly bullshit.

I don't deny they have had problems, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'd buy one in a second if the price was right and I needed another amp.

The odds are in my favor.

Seems we have half a dozen threads a week here about 'broken amps', and most of 'em aren't Bugeras...

The numbers posted several times previously show that their failure rate isn't significantly greater than Peavey?

Things break, not a big deal...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Guess I'm a comedian then, because I think it's mostly bullshit.

I don't deny they have had problems, I just don't think it's that big of a deal. I'd buy one in a second if the price was right and I needed another amp.

The odds are in my favor.

Seems we have half a dozen threads a week here about 'broken amps', and most of 'em aren't Bugeras...

The numbers posted several times previously show that their failure rate isn't significantly greater than Peavey?

Things break, not a big deal...

I'm with you on this other than buying one.

Most of the Bugera DOA threads had been shipped to the person. There was one with the gain pot inop- most likely got hit during shipping as it felt loose like a mechanical problem.

Tubes get bumped and broken in shipping. Its a fact of life. Better to pull them out and box them separately.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
for the money a used peavey gets my vote.

Sarah Palin and Larry King told me that.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
true. but in general i feel the higher gain heads seem to be the most trouble. i cant remember the last time i heard anything bad about a V series.

most of the major issues and catching fire is over with though it seems. thats a fairly bad rep to have though. more like a stigmata amongst guitarists.

....and for the record, the 2 most commonly broken amp brand i seen is marshall.

some marshall owner somewhere is complaining about something all the time (meh, it needs a tuneup, meh the reverb tank is jacked, meh the tube socket is loose.....)
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Sep 24, 2012,
I love how the fact that some work totally justifies the comical amount that don't.

At the end of the day you're still supporting a shit company with shit practices, who blatantly copy schematics and aesthetics, and then make as bad a reproduction as they can get away with, because as long as most of them work then people will support them. Behringer are scumbags.

If their business practices don't bother you, then fine, that's your agenda.

Also, that whole numbers thing is bullshit. There is no way in hell that a proportional amount of Peaveys break compared to Bugera. I don't know what threads you're reading, but most if not all of the DOA amp threads I've seen have been about Bugeras. Tube failure doesn't count - that's normal. I'm talking about when someone does a full retube on their Bugera and the shit either doesn't turn on or burns out again in 5 minutes.

And there's also the fact that you can kick a Peavey off of a full stack and pick it back up and keep playing. Try that with a Bugera.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
meh, numbers

i ain't buying no bugera, the ones i have played are just not impressive.

mind you, if i could go back in time to my high school or early college years, i'd probably buy a bugera immediately
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Offworld92

Also, that whole numbers thing is bullshit. <SNIP>
And there's also the fact that you can kick a Peavey off of a full stack and pick it back up and keep playing. Try that with a Bugera.

I can't change your mind, nor do I care to, but let's not ignore the available facts because we don't like what they represent?

As for the second, I haven't done that.

Have you?

Why?

As for 'business practices', are you serious with the concern about copying?
Charles Darwin
They certainly have their place in the market and they're certainly here to stay. They sound average and give the opportunity to younger players to afford a tube amp.

Would I buy one? No, never. Yes they have issues, yes they can be fixed, but reliability is a big selling point to some people.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by chatterbox272
once you get past the early phase where most of the manufacturing problems show up, they aren't too bad. A bit less sturdy than other brands, but they aren't as bad as they are made out to be. To me, I'd get a used bugera before I'd get a new one because it's past most of those early problems and if it's lasted someone 6 - 12 months until they got sick of having their amp bashed all the time it's probably going to be alright, and top for the price. Just remember that people who are unhappy with a product often come to the internet to bitch about it (even on multiple forums), it's a lot rarer for someone to go around saying how great a piece of gear is, because they're happy with it.

most of this I believe to be true

i don't have access to failure rates.

i do believe that we get a fair amount of dying Bugera threads here because UG is popular with the younger 'metal' crowd that happen to have lower budgets for amps .

yes I did start a collection of statements made from Bugera owners on here - but that was mainly to point out that the Bugera Bandwagon of 'hey all the issues are fixed now' simply was not true.

good day

PS I quite liked the V22
Facts based on what? On the flip side, I'd accuse you of hiding behind numbers instead of looking at the obvious issues. We don't get threads about Peaveys randomly shitting the bed for no reason. More importantly, we don't get thread about any amps literally burning inside. Behringer are not newcomers to the musical instrument market, they know what the hell they're doing. The fact that they let their amps ship with plastic clips says a lot about them.

I haven't done that. It was an exaggerated example. I have seen stacks get bumped into and seen 6505s fall off. And yes, they were fine. I know other people here have witnessed the same thing as well (and I've heard about amps fallout of of the back of trucks and being fine).

It's fine to make an amp that is very closely based off of something else. There's isn't a whole lot to do in the amp world - most amps are based off of other amps, and there really aren't that many different kinds of basic amp.

However, when you copy an amp, you should try to bring something new, some new additional feature to the table.

Bugera doesn't even ****ing try to do that. They copy the amp exactly, they copy the aesthetics of the amp almost completely, and they even make a mockery out of the names of the amps they are copying. No respect whatsoever for them. Like I said before - they're scumbags.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Facts based on what? On the flip side, I'd accuse you of hiding behind numbers instead of looking at the obvious issues. We don't get threads about Peaveys randomly shitting the bed for no reason. More importantly, we don't get thread about any amps literally burning inside. Behringer are not newcomers to the musical instrument market, they know what the hell they're doing. The fact that they let their amps ship with plastic clips says a lot about them.

I haven't done that. It was an exaggerated example. I have seen stacks get bumped into and seen 6505s fall off. And yes, they were fine. I know other people here have witnessed the same thing as well (and I've heard about amps fallout of of the back of trucks and being fine).

It's fine to make an amp that is very closely based off of something else. There's isn't a whole lot to do in the amp world - most amps are based off of other amps, and there really aren't that many different kinds of basic amp.

However, when you copy an amp, you should try to bring something new, some new additional feature to the table.

Bugera doesn't even ****ing try to do that. They copy the amp exactly, they copy the aesthetics of the amp almost completely, and they even make a mockery out of the names of the amps they are copying. No respect whatsoever for them. Like I said before - they're scumbags.

As you wish.
Charles Darwin
I bought a used Bugera 1960, the Marshall 59 Superlead clone almost a year ago. I paid $250 for it including tax and shipping, honestly it sounds pretty good it does exactly what I want it to do but I made damn sure I got the repair plan for it. It hasn't given me any sign of trouble at all, it hasn't been gigged yet but it has been through a lot of very long rehearsals and performed better than expected.

Having said that with all the posts about reliability and whatnot I'm still extremely cautious when it comes to Bugera. From what I've read most of the reliability issues are with the higher gain models, which technically the 1960 is marketed as "high gain" but for my purposes I never crank it into overdrive. For one thing its too loud without an attenuator which I don't need, and secondly I use it as a clean platform and let my stomp boxes do the rest.

For me a new set of tubes, having a reliable tech, making sure everything is biased correctly, and being careful with my equipment certainly helps prolong the life of all my gear and honestly if it dies I wouldn't say I was surprised, I paid more for my Fender Super Champ than I did the 1960.

Would I recommend Bugera, if your budget is very tight maybe I'd definitely say get any kind of warranty or service plan available. I'm never going to gig with this thing without a backup, that's just common sense. I'm all about cheap gear my four main guitars are 2 Epiphone Les Pauls and 2 Squier strats, a classic vibe and vintage modified along with a few Joyo pedals.

All in all with any kind of gear there is always a buyer be ware which in the case is certainly something I strongly emphasize. Hope this helps.
If the amp is just going to sit there and never be moved a Bugera is probably a pretty safe choice. If you are a gigging muso forget about it. That is pretty true of just about everything Behringer make. Their mixers will last for years in a home studio; take it on the road and it will be dead in a month.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ikey_
thats a fairly bad rep to have though. more like a stigmata amongst guitarists.

Stigma?

Quote by Offworld92
Facts based on what?

Thomann's failure rates are posted on their site. Go see for yourself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd much rather have a Bugera than a Marshall MG50HDX or whatever the hell they're called these days.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I like my Bugera, but it was not what I would call sturdy. Sounded pretty amazing, but I was always super delicate with it, it always felt like everything was loose no matter how much I tightened it. It is a trend I noticed with most of them, which is why I tend to recommend against them for a gigger. I would say a lot of cheaper amps are like that, my 6505+ is definitely not as robust as the head.

I also bought mine used, specifically from someone who fixed the clip and replaced the tubes to make sure I didn't have to do the same. It is hard to deny that we do see a lot of these amps with various issues, but of course it is hard to say if that is user error or if it is all QC. I don't know for sure but I am with Cath: If it is going to chill at the crib for its lifespan, why not, but don't expect to toss it around from gig to gig.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.