Page 3 of 4
Quote by palm mute
^ Bring it kangaroo boy from teatime land.

Paraphrasing here but Jesus said something about how laws like that were kind of distracting people from the important picture. Shellfish, pork, working on the sabbath and whatnot.

Yeah, so in Leviticus I believe when there is the only line in the Bible that mentions gays shouldn't that be a distraction too?
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
And how were the laws about homosexuality any different?

They felt like keeping those because they don't like gay people anymore than Jews do but like eating pork?

Iirc Jesus never says anything about gay people outside of the blanket of no sexual immorality.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

I didn't actually make him cry, I don't know why he cried other than the fact that he couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag. I just find it easier to claim I made him cry

He sounds like a little girl. Extremely feminine. Hmmmm.......

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by toBetheVeryBest
Yeah, so in Leviticus I believe when there is the only line in the Bible that mentions gays shouldn't that be a distraction too?

I'm not Jesus nor Christian, I was originally talking about why Christians have no problem eating shellfish.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by palm mute
They felt like keeping those because they don't like gay people anymore than Jews do but like eating pork?

Iirc Jesus never says anything about gay people outside of the blanket of no sexual immorality.

Yeah he never mentioned it
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by toBetheVeryBest
Yeah I wouldn't consider any of the people in my class pieces of shit either, since most of them are friends. Also these kids are like 15, 16, and 17, so I don't know if it will die out.

I'm sure they will. It's like music. People will probably just listen to what their parents listen to or what their peers listen to or what the radio is playing for a majority of their youth. Then some will go and search for music on their own from different sources and probably have their tastes change a bit. Same applies for kids in relation to religion/gay marriage. Most people have really only ever known what their parents believe for most of human history. Only recently are we able to read and be exposed to things from all over the world, including different cultural and societal practices. That's the luxury of our age. You can't expect people to just change what they believe with the blink of an eye.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by jambi_mantra
I'm starting to believe that Australia could outdo America for xeno and homophobia these days.

The same-sex marriage bill recently got passed here in Tasmania in the lower house and is going to the upper house sometime this week.
Quote by blake1221
The New Testament.

Well I know this but I'm confused about the point you are getting at.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by palm mute
^ Bring it kangaroo boy from teatime land.

Paraphrasing here but Jesus said something about how laws like that were kind of distracting people from the important picture. Shellfish, pork, working on the sabbath and whatnot.

A senator the other day equated legalising gay marriage to legalising beastiality. He was not condemned by his party leaders, it was just a case of "he has his views and expressed them poorly"

Senate recently just stopped the equal marriage bill with a vote of something like 40-80 against.

Google the "ban the burka in Australia" facebook page and just look at the shit that gets posted.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The treatment of your native people has been just as bad if not worse.

Technically they aren't my native people, but yea I totally agree. Myself and another Aus user (Butt Rayge) consistently get into arguments with indigenous bashing bogans on this site.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Well I know this but I'm confused about the point you are getting at.

The New Testament does away with most of the Old Testament laws. While things may or may not be sinful, I don't know/care, but all I was getting at was your specific argument in that one instance is a moot point.
Quote by wastingyears
I have lived in Georgia for 7 years now and I still think its a bunch of rednecks

Depends where in Ga. Middle and south western Ga. Yeah, tons of rednecks.

But I support gay marriage and I was born and raised here. So, not everyone is intolerant.
One area that confuses me is the relevance of homosexuality being natural or not.

This seems to be working under the (in my opinon) fallacy that all natural behaviour is either or both moral or desirable.

What does it matter if homosexuality is natural or not?

For the record, I believe homosexuality is more a psychological development (to be clear, not pathological in nature) that may be contributed to genetically.
Gay marriage got passed 80-40 in NZ pretty recently Jambi, so you guys really shouldn't be too far off.
Quote by devourke
Gay marriage got passed 80-40 in NZ pretty recently Jambi, so you guys really shouldn't be too far off.

Yea but New Zealand is a much cooler place so I'm not expecting much
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by blake1221
The New Testament does away with most of the Old Testament laws. While things may or may not be sinful, I don't know/care, but all I was getting at was your specific argument in that one instance is a moot point.

It is. Christians interpret the Bible many different ways, and they have different justifications for that.

What he should have said was that your religion doesn't excuse you from being an ignorant piece of shit.

Well maybe not a piece of shit.
Quote by jambi_mantra
Yea but New Zealand is a much cooler place so I'm not expecting much

It's hard work being #1 country in the world
What I hate about all the anti-gay conservatives is their blatant hypocrisy when it comes to "small government". They bitch incessantly about "big government invading people's lives", but when it comes to using government to force their religious views down the throats of others, they're all for it.

For a party who constantly throws the "Founding Fathers" around like crazy, you think they would have at least heard of the term "separation of church and state".
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by WCPhils
Lol, reminds me and when my class had to do something similar regarding the death sentence and it was me, another guy, and the professor against like 20 others.

How'd that go?
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Quote by jetfuel495
Look guys, he's from Florida too!

It looks like Florida is the only state with any sense at all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
It looks like Florida is the only state with any sense at all.
Said nobody, ever.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by jetfuel495
Also I think it's not fair to rag on Christianity as a religion just because of how some of its followers treat this issue

This. Assholes are everywhere, not just in church.
ಠ_ಠ
Although I support equal rights for homosexuals, I don't really see what gay marriage would accomplish that a civil relation wouldn't.

Then again, I'm not too informed on this, so I may likely be wrong. But it just seems like a waste of money that could go toward adopting a kid or invitro fertilisation.

I mean really, there's no harm in it, and just think of how much money would be generated from a gay marriage. The festivities would be fabulous.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by jetfuel495
Also I think it's not fair to rag on Christianity as a religion just because of how some of its followers treat this issue

It is, so long as the 'some' that treat this issue take their justification for their bigotry directly from their religious texts, which means that the religion by nature condones such practices.

I'd agree with you if it were no way stated that homosexuality was immoral in the bible, but 'christians' chose to proclaim it as an aspect of their faith, but as it stands, there is biblical justification for their position.
Quote by jetfuel495

When your holy text condemns homosexuals I think it's fair to blame the religion for homophobia within its ranks.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by TooktheAtrain
It is, so long as the 'some' that treat this issue take their justification for their bigotry directly from their religious texts, which means that the religion by nature condones such practices.

I'd agree with you if it were no way stated that homosexuality was immoral in the bible, but 'christians' chose to proclaim it as an aspect of their faith, but as it stands, there is biblical justification for their position.

They have the belief that it's wrong, and others have the belief that it isn't. I'm not going to criticize someone for having different beliefs/opinions than me.

I will however, criticise someone for using religion (which should be a personal thing) to dictate what other people who fall outside of that religion can and can't do. Because that's the real problem.
Quote by jetfuel495
They have the belief that it's wrong, and others have the belief that it isn't. I'm not going to criticize someone for having different beliefs/opinions than me.

If their beliefs are barbaric and pointlessly oppressive then you should criticize them for their beliefs.

I will however, criticise someone for using religion (which should be a personal thing) to dictate what other people who fall outside of that religion can and can't do. Because that's the real problem.

Yes, and certain Bible extracts are the only reason gay rights of marriage have any difficulty getting through the legal system.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 24, 2012,
Quote by Todd Hart
When your holy text condemns homosexuals I think it's fair to blame the religion for homophobia within its ranks.
Yeah. But. I don't think that "force your beliefs on others" is part of any holy text.

inb4 someone brings up Islam, don't even get me started.
Quote by toBetheVeryBest
So in class today we had to do a survey on certain political matters. One of the questions was "Do you support gay marriage? yes or no" I put yes thinking it was an obvious decision. So my friend next to me wanted to compare answers when he got to the gay marriage one, and he was like "What? you support gay marriage?" Some other kids heard and they were shocked as well. It spread around the room and eventually everyone knew what I picked, and it turned out out of 25 kids I was the only one that that thought gay marriage was fine.

So basically for the next 10 minutes I was getting scrutinized for supporting it.

My question is do you support gay marriage, and is it odd that I am the only one that thinks it is fine?

You need to stand up for yourself. If they scrutinize you give them something to look at, tell them they can go **** themselves.
Quote by jetfuel495
Yeah. But. I don't think that "force your beliefs on others" is part of any holy text.

not forcing beliefs on others isn't some pillar of morality that everyone agrees with. the very nature of government is to do that very thing, so don't pretend like you know what you're saying
Last edited by captaincrunk at Sep 24, 2012,
Quote by jetfuel495

It's not about forcing your beliefs, it's about Biblical law; which is intended to be universal. The laws prescribed in the Bible aren't stated to apply only to believers. Obviously literally nobody today follows the full word of the law, or tries to enforce all of the laws on others, but it's justifiable within a Biblical context.

Plus, if sodomy will really get people a one way ticket to Hell then the only moral thing for believing Christians to do is try to get it made illegal.
Quote by Todd Hart
If their beliefs are barbaric and pointlessly oppressive then you should criticize them for their beliefs.

Yes, and certain Bible extracts are the only reason gay rights of marriage have any difficulty getting through the legal system.
The beliefs have nothing to do with oppression. It stems from the Old Testament, which was pretty much the nomad's survival guide. It teaches you how not to waste resources, etc, which is why you have laws against mixing fabrics (because they'd shrink and that's a waste). Semen was considered a resource for populating the world with believers, so wasting it in a dude's bum was pretty counter productive to that. That's where the Christian belief started. Hardly oppressive.

And like i said, they can enforce the rules inside their church all they want.

Sure, Christianity views homosexuality as a sin. But I respect those Christians who are able to live and let live.
Quote by jetfuel495
The beliefs have nothing to do with oppression. It stems from the Old Testament, which was pretty much the nomad's survival guide. It teaches you how not to waste resources, etc, which is why you have laws against mixing fabrics (because they'd shrink and that's a waste). Semen was considered a resource for populating the world with believers, so wasting it in a dude's bum was pretty counter productive to that. That's where the Christian belief started. Hardly oppressive.

Sure, Christianity views homosexuality as a sin. But I respect those Christians who are able to live and let live.

If you truly believed your neighbor was going to burn in agonizing pain for all eternity if you didn't stop them from anally penetrating someone, you'd be obligated to stop them.
Quote by jetfuel495

Yes, and not a jot of the Bible says 'oh, btw; when you get past the Enlightenment you can ditch all this silly nonsense and be more liberal'.

Indeed, but that isn't what is happening.

As do I, but the only reason they're liberal enough to accept homosexuality is because they've scrapped the stuff in their holy book. Religion is still the problem, which has been my point, but luckily most religious people are intelligent to realize that much of it is callous nonsense. But, those that do try to pass Biblical laws in a secular society almost never get called on the source of their bigotry, which means for some silly reason they're respected in the legal system and thus they get to veto attempts to get equal rights laws passed.

Edit: ^ Exactly. Hell, if anything those that are trying to prevent gays from having the right to marry are being more compassionate that equally believing Christian moderates.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 24, 2012,
Quote by Todd Hart
Plus, if sodomy will really get people a one way ticket to Hell then the only moral thing for believing Christians to do is try to get it made illegal.
And this is what confuses me about Conservative America, the people who want to "uphold the constitution" but believe that "separation of Church and State is a creation of Satan"
Quote by captaincrunk
not forcing beliefs on others isn't some pillar of morality that everyone agrees with. the very nature of government is to do that very thing, so don't pretend like you know what you're saying
Government enforces laws based on morality based on societal benefit. Different from religious beliefs, although many of them overlap.

I wouldn't say the nature of government is to force "beliefs" on people, at least not beliefs in the religious sense. Unless it's a theocracy, or run by people who wish it was. Laws based solely on religion that have no tangible benefit to society, or even worse, have a detriment on it, shouldn't exist.
Quote by captaincrunk
If you truly believed your neighbor was going to burn in agonizing pain for all eternity if you didn't stop them from anally penetrating someone, you'd be obligated to stop them.
You're right. I can't respond to this. I just wish the conservatives weren't so hypocritical, as I said up there.
Quote by captaincrunk

However, most evangelical christians I've seen crow with glee at the thought of atheists burning for eternity, rather recoiling from the horror I would imagine is due such a fate.