Page 1 of 5
This actually is about sex. Can anyone explain to me what sex has to do with virtue?

Backstory: Chatting with a coworker, sex comes up, somehow I mention I don't think there's anything morally wrong with casual sex with multiple partners, he gives me a Bert stare and mutters something about society's moral compass going down the shitter.

I guess I forgot that my view was considered a radical one. I just fail to see how messing around with anyone, even a total stranger, is wrong. If there's mutual consent, nobody's underage, and you're not betraying a partner's trust to do so, how is promiscuity wrong?

Please discuss
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Animal nature.
Your coworker probably can't get any, hence the mad.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I draw the line when i get syphilis.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
cause you're putting yourself in someone else literally

lets have sex ts
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Ometh
lets have sex ts

can i join? i showered!

I saw sex in the title, i'm listening.....
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by MinterMan22
can i join? i showered!

Shure, but use protection. I don't want to have another mud baby.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Ometh
Shure, but use protection. I don't want to have another mud baby.

Hold on brah, i'll be there in 5 min!
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
The only reasonable reason for 'promiscuity' being wrong in a consensual, legal context is the betrayal of trust that might result.

If there's nothing like that, I don't see it as wrong at all. Whether it's wise or not, given the array of STDs around, is another matter completely.

Although I would say in areas in which there are no means of protection against disease and pregnancy that my position would change to one of disapproval of such practices, especially if there are no means of testing or treatment of STDs, one would in fact be potentially killing others and hurting/killing oneself.
Quote by adamgur96
Hold on brah, i'll be there in 5 min!

I didn't invite you

If MinterMan is okay with it, we could form a loltrain
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Different opinions.

Personally I dislike the idea of lots of casual sex... mainly because I'm too shy to get casual sex and thus have to make do with more long term commitment.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
It's a very easy way to pick up a slew of diseases, and for that reason, can be seen as unclean.
Quote by Ometh
I didn't invite you

If MinterMan is okay with it, we could form a loltrain

just be gentle.

TS's views are too edgy for me.

I'M OUT!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by RU Experienced?
More or less.

To be fair, he and most other people I know think it's wrong for men to be promiscuous as well.

Quote by blake1221
It's a very easy way to pick up a slew of diseases, and for that reason, can be seen as unclean.

How does that translate to immoral?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Last edited by fail at Sep 24, 2012,
Quote by fail

I think most judgments of morality are in fact a result of societal conditioning to adopt or reject practices that may be helpful or harmful.

Obviously, in first world countries, it's not much of a problem as long as precautionary measures are taken. So, since we have that, the belief is not morally relevant anymore from a practical or ethical standpoint.
It's better than gay
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by fail
To be fair, he and most other people I know think it's wrong for men to be promiscuous as well.
Most of the guys I know are pretty open and casual about their sexual encounters and intentions of going out to hook up with girls

In America religion is probably more responsible for the stigma against casual sex than anything what with sex to be something shared between a man and women bound in holy matrimony. If you're looking for a more logical underlying reason other than "this is how I interpret the bible" I'm not sure that one exists.

From an evolutionary standpoint it makes sense that a woman who will bear the child and undergo a 9 month period of gestation would be more selective in choosing a mate than a male who can reproduce multiple times a day with no real ill-consequence to himself and no real liability to stay and care for the mother/baby. However, with modern contraception that is out the window, but one can argue we're still "hardwired" to think that way. But since you're claiming that people are also judgmental of promiscuous men that would suggest something cultural, so we're back to the bible.
Quote by TooktheAtrain
I think most judgments of morality are in fact a result of societal conditioning to adopt or reject practices that may be helpful or harmful.

Obviously, in first world countries, it's not much of a problem as long as precautionary measures are taken. So, since we have that, the belief is not morally relevant anymore from a practical or ethical standpoint.
Morals are simply a reflection of a society's ideals.

So, I guess that could be the root of the ideal.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by fail

People failing to differentiate between the two? **** if I know.
Thread Title
Username

I lol'd
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by blake1221

Same with not wearing a jacket out in the cold, but that doesn't make it immoral.

OT: Your coworker is wrong to judge anyone based on promiscuity, and is likely in need of a night out.
Quote by element4433
TS's views are too edgy for me.

I'M OUT!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Well you do live with Mormons.

This bro wasn't even religious. I also have a friend who's a very forward thinking feminist and he's against anything other than monogamy. He also thinks virginity is something you have to save for the right person and that it's wrong for a 20 year old to have sex with someone over 26. Sex is definitely something even so-called progressives are behind on.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Quote by fail

This bro wasn't even religious. I also have a friend who's a very forward thinking feminist and he's against anything other than monogamy. He also thinks virginity is something you have to save for the right person and that it's wrong for a 20 year old to have sex with someone over 26. Sex is definitely something even so-called progressives are behind on.

You need to show your friend the half your age + 7 rule.
Quote by fail

Or maybe your view of promiscuity isn't the right one. Ever consider that? No, you probably haven't. I doubt you even have casual sex all the time.
Quote by fail

Exposing others to disease, shows a lack of self respect, etc.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Sep 24, 2012,
I feel like there should be things that are kept somewhat "sacred" for the reason that if everything was casual, then life loses a lot of specialness.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nothing wrong with a bit of hedonism.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by captaincrunk
Or maybe your view of promiscuity isn't the right one. Ever consider that? No, you probably haven't. I doubt you even have casual sex all the time.

Exposing others to disease, shows a lack of self respect, etc.

Why does having sex show a lack of self respect? It's just putting a penis in a hole, or getting a hole filled with penis.

edit: or fingers or tongues or dildos etc etc
I'm an atheist dude (I saw religion brought up somewhere in here, so I thought I'd state that) and I think that sex should be between two people that love eachother. I think that hooking up just to have sex then leave is stupid and immoral; People who date women just to get laid are at the top of my shit list as well.

Just my 2 cents.
Quote by devourke
Why does having sex show a lack of self respect? It's just putting a penis in a hole, or getting a hole filled with penis.

you already said it yourself, it exposes people to disease
Quote by Xiaoxi
I feel like there should be things that are kept somewhat "sacred" for the reason that if everything was casual, then life loses a lot of specialness.

Then hibernate more, so waking up doesn't lose its "specialness". Or hey, why not starve yourself more often? Or don't play music everyday, so it doesn't lose its specialness.

I get the 'too much of a good thing is a bad thing' view, but 'casual sex' doesn't equate to sex addiction (I guess it's how you choose to define promiscuity). There are lots of responsible people out there who don't overdo everything and use safe-sex practices, don't make 'em dirty, immoral people.
Quote by Xiaoxi

But no one is going to force you to have casual sex with people. If you prefer to only have sex with someone you're in a committed relationship with that's fine, but why should you impose your preferences on other people and frown upon them if they act differently? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth and thus am not directing this specifically at you, but the stigma is there so that is how some people think.
Quote by devourke

Well sex is a self-pleasuring exercise (yes you read correctly), and hedonism is just a more fun version of nihilism.

I wouldn't go as far as to say promiscuity is actually disrespectful to oneself, but it certainly isn't all fine and dandy, especially thanks to STIs and the amount of people that neglect to get themselves checked.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Somekid94
I'm an atheist dude (I saw religion brought up somewhere in here, so I thought I'd state that) and I think that sex should be between two people that love eachother. I think that hooking up just to have sex then leave is stupid and immoral; People who date women just to get laid are at the top of my shit list as well.

Just my 2 cents.

What about women that date guys just to have sex? What if both parties just mutually want to indulge in lust and nothing more? Instead they have to suppress those feelings for some arbitrary quest for love?
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Page 1 of 5