I'm a pretentious prick
21 28%
I'm both
34 45%
I don't use foreign words, I'm a patriot
17 22%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
When pronouncing foreign words, assuming you know how to pronounce it correctly, do you pronounce it as if it were in English, or would you go the correct way? Some people might hear you pronounce it wrong and think you're ignorant. Some people might hear you pronounce it right and think you're being pretentious.

For me, it's a mix.

I live in San Marcos, and 99% of people just say it exactly as it's spelled in English. Then I was talking to someone and they pronounced in hardcore spanish, heavy rolling on the "r" and I just rolled my eyes and was like "Just say San Marcos, you don't even know how to speak spanish."

However, I get really annoyed when I hear people pronounce Guacamole "Gwak-uh-mo-lee," and just as much I hate when people pronounce Mariachi "Marry-ah-chee."
Depends where I am. If I'm at an Italian restaurant and I have an inkling as to how pronounce the thing I want, I'll do it. Well, at least at the only italian restaurant I frequent because most of the waiters are Italian so it's easier for them.

If I really don't know, then it's a case of "Say what you see".
I say Ca-miss for Camus even though I know it's Ca-moo.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
My native language is Dutch, and 50% of that consists of foreign words... So yeah, I'm a tosser that pronounces everything correctly.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
It's probably a mix for me. I mean, I do my best to pronounce things correctly, but I'm sure I get it wrong sometimes.
I voted "I don't use foreign words" because I'm not ignorant, but I'm also not pretentious.

But in general, I say what I think the person I'm speaking to will understand.

If I'm in a room of friends, or at a Mexican restauarant, you bet your ass it's going to be "gwak-uh-mo-lee"... It'd sound pretentious to say it the proper way when the waiter understands me and the people at the table are just going to say it the same way.

But if I'm talking to a person who speaks a different language, I try my best to pronounce things the right way.

Except for my Arabic-speaking family. I just get a translator.

EDIT - and if I have to attempt a word I don't know, I just say it multiple ways with a questioning look so they get that I tried.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Sep 25, 2012,
I like to walk around my house pronouncing Spanish and French things correctly sometimes but I almost intentionally butcher them if i'm in real life so I don't sound prententious.

I can't roll my r's at all though so i'd sound stupid either way.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i don't attempt to pronounce things in their original languages if i'm not comfortable with my accent.

it's part of why i didn't even try speaking German when i when i was in Germany because i didn't want to **** it up.

my doctor tells me i have performance anxiety. i'd rather not try at all than try and then fail.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by The Madcap
However, I get really annoyed when I hear people pronounce Guacamole "Gwak-uh-mo-lee," and just as much I hate when people pronounce Mariachi "Marry-ah-chee."

How would you like people to pronounce those?
Quote by whoomit

Gwark-ah-mole-ley

Maher-ee-archie
Quote by whoomit

Well I think it's supposed to be "wha-coh-mo-lay"...

But I always thought mariachi was actually "mare-ee-ah-chee"
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by whoomit

I usually go with "that green shite made out of avocadoes" for both.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Nope, I'm gonna pronounce that shit as Yorkshire as possible.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by whoomit
"Whak-ah-mol-eh"

"Mah-ri-ah-chee" with a subtle roll of the R. My dad physically can't roll R's, so a "d" sound instead works almost just as well.

I'll admit the Mariachi one might be a bit pedantic on my part. But when I hear "Gwak-uh-mo-lee" that sounds as bad as pronouncing the L in tortilla or quesadilla, which almost nobody does even if they don't know a word of spanish.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 25, 2012,
Quote by The Madcap
"Whak-ah-mol-eh"

"Mah-ri-ah-chee" with a subtle roll of the R. My dad physically can't roll R's, so a "d" sound instead works almost just as well.

I'll admit the Mariachi one might be a bit pedantic on my part. But when I hear "Gwak-uh-mo-lee" that sounds as bad as pronouncing the L in tortilla or quesadilla, which almost nobody does even if they don't know a word of spanish.

Pretentious bastasd
i'll continue to pronounce it "Gwak-a-mole-ee" and you can't do anything about it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I hate when my mum calls tortillas fajitas. I'm like "you're a fucking cunt mum."
Quote by whoomit
I hate when my mum calls tortillas fajitas. I'm like "you're a fucking cunt mum."

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by The_Blode
^ I'm sorry your highness I forgot that I'm subhuman. . .

Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
i find that in general, i dont give an ounce of fuck
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
In English and French, a lot of the words are smoothened and second halves of words often feel abandoned because of this. Us Dutchies do the exact opposite, so our language sounds direct and harsh. On top of that we pronounce all vowels and combinations differently from those languages as well as the g and r sounds differing radically. If we didn't try to pronounce those words at least somewhat like it was intended, we'd be an even more ridiculous people.

German pronunciation isn't that different from ours, but I personally enjoy overdoing the accent too much to be ignorant about it.
Quote by The Madcap
"Whak-ah-mol-eh"

Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Half 'n half.

Paella usually ends up as "pie-ella", but pflaumenkuchen (german plum cake) would be pronounced correctly.
A lot of the time I don't need to use foreign words, I just say it how I feel like saying it
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I try to get the right pronounciation, but I don't bother with put-on accents or anything.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.

These would be great with Guacka-mole!

My family's from Mexico, I'm American and grew up in Germany. I pronounce things the way they're meant to be and expect the same of others. Unless the word is French, because who gives a shit.
When someone says 'Jalapenos' like it's spelt, there are people that get really annoyed and say 'oh no, it's ha-la-pe-nos'.

That really annoys me, because that's not right either. It's more like ha-la-pay-nyos, plus the J isn't even pronounced as an H, it's more like a mild French R.

Twats.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
When someone says 'Jalapenos' like it's spelt, there are people that get really annoyed and say 'oh no, it's ha-la-pe-nos'.

That really annoys me, because that's not right either. It's more like ha-la-pay-nyos, plus the J isn't even pronounced as an H, it's more like a mild French R.

Twats.

The "j" is pronounced like a German ch. Chala-pen-yos
I hate Americans who pronounce Iraq, 'Eye-Rack'
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
People who pronounce banana Bay-nana.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Depends, I struggle to change the accent from languages I speak, so I tend to accent foreign words. I feel like a bit of prick sometimes, but eh.
It's a mix for me as well. I try to pronounce the word correctly (as it would be in it's native language).

There are people who over enunciate the the word (like in the OP with the heavy rolling 'r'). They sound like pricks..

Mispronunciations don't bother me as much because it's impossible for anyone to know the correct pronunciation of every word in every language.

Now, people who have been told the correct pronunciation and still mispronounce are douches.
Quote by The Madcap

Spanish: Salsa de Aguacate

English: Avacado Sauce

EDIT: Jalapenos is "Ha-la-pa-nos."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Sep 25, 2012,
Quote by rabidguitarist
When someone says 'Jalapenos' like it's spelt

I hope I get to witness that someday.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I hate Americans who pronounce Iraq, 'Eye-Rack'

Yep.

And route. Should sound the same as root.
If someone's close to it, I won't give them shit. Unless they're weaboos and they speak really shitty Japlish and bastardize the language by pronouncing everything completely wrong, seemingly on purpose to make themselves look worse.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Last edited by Horsedick.MPEG at Sep 25, 2012,
I try to pronounce them as best I can, but I voted both because sometimes I mispronounce them on purpose to joke with my Mexican friend.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
Page 1 of 2