I'm looking to get a new amp. I have a budget of €350. I like Marshalls a lot and I've a Gibson SG. I play mainly Classic Rock and Blues. Any suggestions?
Marshall Class 5
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
home use or gigs? is the budget flexible? (no worries if it's not, but it's nice to know if it is just in case there's something just outside your budget which'd be far better)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Mainly home use, budget isn't really flexible and yes, I like the sounds you can get out of them
ok thanks

i guess the marshall would be worth a look, but i haven't tried it. if it's for home use, make sure you get the newer one with the attenuator.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
The smaller laneys are probably worth a look. I think their smaller amps tend to be more voxy, but its still a solid british sounding amp. I've not had a chance to play any, but I've heard good things and I know they're easier to find over there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i heard somewhere that one of the cubs had the jcm800 preamp. no idea if that was true, though (and i'm not sure which one it was ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
i heard somewhere that one of the cubs had the jcm800 preamp. no idea if that was true, though (and i'm not sure which one it was ).

Can you back me up on the above though? I'm sure you've messed with more laneys than I.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the vcs were more voxy, yeah.
What is this, 1986? You can't just like the way a brand sounds, all the brands have a bunch of different styles of amps. Especially in the case of Marshall, the majority of their amps suck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I still stand by my suggestion for a Marshall Class 5 combo. The clean sound can get a little loud before you get any crunch though, but it's quite a good sound for such a cheap price. If you must have a Marshall that sounds any good in your price range, I think that's a good choice. You might like the Laney suggestions though.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by sg4ever
I still stand by my suggestion for a Marshall Class 5 combo. The clean sound can get a little loud before you get any crunch though, but it's quite a good sound for such a cheap price. If you must have a Marshall that sounds any good in your price range, I think that's a good choice. You might like the Laney suggestions though.

i agree with most except the price. you can do better in your budget if you are willing to forgo the logo, you could have somebody build you a 18 watt that sound so much better. make sure to get one with a MV. infinitely better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
18W'ers don't need no stinking MV.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

can you play yours at 3am with out distrubing anybody else in the house? i can. i am going to wire a switch in there so i can flip it on and off though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

why must we always go through this Cath. As much as i agree with you, the world is now full of little girly boys who have only ever listened to music through their ipod headphones and have never turned up a stereo in their life.

Although i think i need to blast my amp because i used to stand right in front of speakers at clubs. My ears would ring for 2 days.

That being said the class 5 is cool but an 18Wer is definately the way to go if you can find someone to build you one.

Now you don't actually expect me to cater to pussies now do you?

At 3am I just use my amplug. If you are going to be playing at whisper volumes who gives a shit? Half the time I won't even plug it in in those situations. Chasing tone at speaking volumes is a fool's errand.

"Look mummy I sound like Hendrix at TV volumes"
"Yes son, if Jimi had both his nads removed."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 26, 2012,
i actually tried to turn my spitfire down becuase it was 10pm last night. it was a massive waste of time. just played unplugged.

no amp sounds good turned down.
If you live in a sardine can and are scared of your neighbours like a little girl just buy a Pod and a decent set of headphones I say. Speakers need to move and speakers moving creates volume.
The Pod is a good solution for wusses because if you ever need to play alongside a drummer you can just plug it into the desk. For the rest of the time you can just hide in the dark like a little mouse where you won't upset anybody.

Of course the real answer is to choose the correct home and grow a pair.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Used AC15 or AC30.. someone had to say it.

Used Marshall DSL401..
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
The DSL401 is a fine suggestion. Great little amp that is often overlooked and can be picked up quite cheaply at times.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can play my amp at 3am.

Not gonna win any awards for tone, but it definitely sounds better than an Amplug. I live in a townhouse too... The trick is my gear is set up in the basement, and everyones bedrooms are two floors up. I've actually played relatively loud (considering its 3 am) without any issues.

I never really understood this 'amps don't sound good turned down' stuff. They don't sound as good, but to say you're better off with a Amplug and headphones?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Of course the real answer is to choose the correct home and grow a pair.

Agreed. A couple of days ago myself and the guys I jam with decided to have a noisefest for a bit...a 33 and a 50w tube amp, a 115w Crate SS amp and about 600W of bass all dimed or thereabouts. (No drums though )

Windows rattling, shit falling off the walls etc...

My neighbors? Not one of them said a word. Now granted it wasn't 3AM and we were inside, which helps a little bit, but the point remains...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 26, 2012,
The only complaint I've had here has been from somebody on the other side of the block who said I'm not loud enough for him to hear me clearly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only complaint I've had here has been from somebody on the other side of the block who said I'm not loud enough for him to hear me clearly.

Where do you live Cath?

In my opinion all neighbours should be thankful to the Gods that they have the privelage to listening to us rock out.. free of charge.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Indeed, they should count their blessings.

I live in the suburbs in a fairly large town (well, a large town by Aussie standards - 90,000)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My neighbor asked me if I played guitar the other day, so I asked if I was bothering him... He said 'no, I used to play...' That was basically the end of the conversation.

I even play drums in my townhouse from time to time. I generally don't unless both the houses on either side of me are empty though. When I pull up and see their parking spaces empty I get so excited. I doubt they'd complain if it was less than an hour or so, but I'd rather not rattle their houses while they're home. The one neighbor has a dog and I can hear it freaking out the whole time I play.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The trick I discovered was to practice in blocks of an hour or less and leave a decent break in between. My place has always been where the band rehearses, which makes sense seeing as how I own a PA. Even with the whole band going I've rarely gotten complaints. Sets of less than an hour and stop before 10 pm. Even if they did call the cops by the time they show up you've stopped.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yup. In my state there is no such thing as a noise complaint before 11 PM. They can complain all they like, but I can play as loud as I want until 11 PM...

The only noise complaint I've ever gotten was from a neighbor who was unstable. We had all kinds of problems with him, but one night we were getting ready to go to the bar so we cranked the stereo for a bit to 'get pumped' ( ) before leaving. It was hilarious; we really only wanted to hear one song... So the cop shows up and we're all walking out the door, with no music playing and all the lights in the house turned off. Needless to say the cop just got right back in his car and left.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I had one neighbour try to start a noise war with me once while the band were crashed on the lounge room floor. Needless to say we taught her the meaning of the word "loud."
We even miked up the drums just to hammer the point home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
'That, my dear boy, was noise.'

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Keith would have been approved.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by tubetime86
I can play my amp at 3am.

Not gonna win any awards for tone, but it definitely sounds better than an Amplug. I live in a townhouse too... The trick is my gear is set up in the basement, and everyones bedrooms are two floors up. I've actually played relatively loud (considering its 3 am) without any issues.

I never really understood this 'amps don't sound good turned down' stuff. They don't sound as good, but to say you're better off with a Amplug and headphones?

+ infinity

my amps don't sound as good at 1 as they do cranked, but they sure as hell sound better than a cheapo solid state practice amp or i wouldn't have bought them. Granted, i'm not playing at speaking volumes (maybe mid 80s-mid90s dB), but i'm not anywhere near cranked either, if you consider that a 1 watt amp through an efficient speaker will put out in the region of 100dB (and I'm not playing 1W amps).

EDIT: my neighbours have never complained either. It's my own ears I'm worried about I already have mild tinnitus and I don't want it to get any worse.

I also don't think it's anything to do with being a pussy- some people's ears are more sensitive than others (that's not me saying that, that was the consultant i went to recently about my ear/throat problem). I don't call you guys pussies for having crappy hearing.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 26, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I also don't think it's anything to do with being a pussy- some people's ears are more sensitive than others (that's not me saying that, that was the consultant i went to recently about my ear/throat problem). I don't call you guys pussies for having crappy hearing.

You're not gonna win this argument.

Though if Cath were really true to his beliefs he wouldn't still be alive.

What happened to 'live fast, die young?' I've never heard of 'live moderately speedily, then become a cranky old tech on a guitar forum.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hey, I'm as surprised that I'm still alive as anybody.
Maybe I have the Keef gene.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^

Quote by tubetime86
You're not gonna win this argument.

Though if Cath were really true to his beliefs he wouldn't still be alive.

What happened to 'live fast, die young?' I've never heard of 'live moderately speedily, then become a cranky old tech on a guitar forum.'