The guitar is an LTD H-301. Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard.

The tuning is D Standard and Drop C.

The style is basically modern death metal (think The Black Dahlia Murder).

I currently have an SD Custom/'59 set in there, and it's not really working out for me.

For the bridge, I need something with a massive amount of low end. Looking for very bassy palm mutes that you can feel. Second priority is harmonics, having harmonics that just jump out would be awesome, but not as important has having a really powerful low end. I'm not looking for flub, I'm looking for power. The Custom doesn't have a lot of low end, and I'd like a little more output (volume) as well.

For the neck, the most important thing is cleans. The 59 is too middy and kind of honky. I liked it in clips I've heard, but in this guitar it just doesn't work for me. I need a little more output (volume) here as well. I need a high amount of headroom - I do not like any breakup in my cleans. When distorted, I just need it to have less gain and saturation (more note clarity) than the bridge.

I'm looking for passives. Brand and budget aren't really an issue, I just need to find out what's out there that will work for me.

What I've looked into from my own research:

DiMarzio Evolution set. I don't know about these. In 99% of the videos of them the person is just shredding Vai and Satriani etc., which is not what I do at all. I'm considering them because there was one video where a guy got an awesome massive tone with them. So I really don't know what to think about that, as there's so few examples of people playing the way I play with this pup.

DiMarzio D Activator X set - I like that these have bar magnets. In the videos I've seen of them, the tone has been a little too generic for me, but I don't know if that is because of the pickup or because of the amp. The neck cleans seem to be good though. Also afraid that they sound too "hollow". Not sure how to describe that really, but it's the same issue I have with my Custom.

SD Distortion/Jazz set. The note tone these have is great, but the problem is the palm muted notes. It's hard to gauge this in videos as well, but basically just ditto with the "hollowness" in the palm mutes. I need something with a lot of saturation, not tightness like I thought I wanted before.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
What you need is a 6505.

Do you not like the EMGs?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Sep 26, 2012,
I love EMGs. The EMGs in my EC-1000 sound great through my JSX.

Problem is that I'm looking for a different sound out of my H. something more "raw", if you will, less compressed and clinical sounding.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't go for the evolutions, that's all i can say. They are very tight and have a lot of mid-range.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Bare knuckle WARPIG!
enough said.

people will say no dont listen to him the aftermath is the pickup you want from bkp.
I have both in two simularly wooded guitars. and if your want note clarity plus good meaty bass.. the warpig is your answer. the neck in the matched set is absolutely fantastic for cleans even though its a seriously hot pickup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjMGHuNpOg That shows a quite good comparison in deifintion between 4 very common bridge pickups for your style of metal. watch the whole thing its well worth it. Kieth merrow knows what hes doing
In the neck, I really love my DiMarzio Air Classic in my LP. Just awesome for cleans. They are voiced somewhat scooped, but it works out awesomely. As for the bridge, the sky's the limit.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
for the neck i really love the seymour duncan pearly gates, they are awesome for cleans
I really think you might like a tone zone in the bridge dude. If it is one thing that pickup has, it is bass. I think that with the EQ on the JSX you should be able to offset any sort of flub or excess bass.

As far as the neck goes, I really, really like the liquifire. My only concern would be that it might not play nice with mahogany, but I don't know enough. Other than that, I really like gibson's 498 or whatever they put in the neck most of the time. Nice tone that sings really well with a bit of overdrive. TBH I don't use neck humbuckers enough to really say much on them.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
if you could wait until tomorrow i'll have a clip comparing an EMG 81/85 set to a pair of Bareknuckle Black Hawks in an Ltd H-1000. From what I've heard from them so far they sound fantastic, here's a clip Nolly did of on in his 7 string Daemoness http://soundcloud.com/nolly/alnico-black-hawk-7-test

pricey but they are very very nice. I wouldn't go Dimarzio for the kind of sound you're looking for. Dimarzio always cut really well and usually have very tight low end to them. Maybe try out the Seymour Duncan Invader as well. That is a very chunky pickup for the bridge.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
assuming you want to stick to the big guys, a tone zone might be worth a look if it's not a "cracking a walnut with a sledgehammer" type of solution. i haven't tried the d-activator or crunch lab or anything like that, they may well be better for what you want.

the '59 is pretty scooped, i think. so if it's too honky, you might be in trouble... the jazz is warmer and middier, i'd say. Also i don't know if i'd say the distortion has a massive low end, its tone is very 80s, think later george lynch in dokken tones.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Did you always have the Custom/'59 combo?

I can't remember from your last pickup thread.

I'm running a TB11/'59 in my mahog geet and have no issue really. I don't really do modern death metal though.

I have an Invader lying around if you ever want to do some kind of trade.

I'm sure the BKP is the bees knees.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm sure the BKP is the bees knees.

yes.. yes they are.. preferrably the warpig for his needs.... De Ja Vu????
look into BG pickups hellarails for a bridge. they have a few different options for the neck as well. i am considering picking up a set from him, or the JAM pedals waterfall chorus. don't know which, but BG is very respected, especially on HC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Offworld92
I love EMGs. The EMGs in my EC-1000 sound great through my JSX.

Problem is that I'm looking for a different sound out of my H. something more "raw", if you will, less compressed and clinical sounding.

If you're thinking BKPs, Painkiller or Warpig if you want raw.
Tone Zone eh? Never would have thought to look there.

I will check all those clips out guys

Is the Black Hawk new? Never heard of it.

Not sure on the Invader. I've listened to a couple clips, but eh... as you can imagine, it's a little hard to find clips of the Invader that actually sound good/decent/not shit. You know what kind of people generally love that pup

I've never looked into BG, will take a loot.

That's +2 for the Warpig.

@311 I've had the Custom/'59 for a while now. I had them in the last pup thread I made, but I think it was probably over in EG, not here. I should have just asked here in the first place.

I've owned a BKP Miracle Man before, but I only liked it slightly better than the Custom. It's what I sold to get the Custom/'59 actually. In hindsight, I should have kept it. But regardless, still looking for the right pups.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Bladed-Vaults

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjMGHuNpOg That shows a quite good comparison in deifintion between 4 very common bridge pickups for your style of metal. watch the whole thing its well worth it. Kieth merrow knows what hes doing

Holy shit that vid was awesome. I love that song in the beginning.

Unfortunately it didn't really help much. I like things about all of them.

Well I've definitely ruled out the Aftermath. It's too tight.

The Distortion pisses me off. It's my favorite for non-palm muted tones, but the palm mutes just seem kind of weak. I'm not sure if my technique/EQ would make them suitable or not. I'm just going to have to get this one and try it out IRL. It's cheap enough used.

The Invader is the darkest and I really like that, but it also seems a bit shrill on the high strings. Will have to try to find more videos of that one.

The Warpig, all things considered, wins out of the 4, but just barely. Like, if I absolutely had to choose one of the four, I would choose this one. I mostly prefer the the Distortion for playing notes, and I like the low end of the Invader, but the Warpig doesn't suffer from the drawbacks of either (doesn't sound weak palm muted and isn't shrill).

So I may have to compromise with the Warpig. Of course I'll also be doing a lot more listening as well. BKPs are expensive.

Any more input on the neck pup? I did like the DiMarzio Air Classic quite a lot in the clips I've heard of it, to whoever mentioned that. But I would assume that it would be too weak to balance well with a Warpig or a Distortion?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For the bridge, try out the nailbomb, too. As for the balance issue, just raise and lower the pup to taste.

FWIW, I've got it in a LP Studio with the DiMarzio Super Distortion. The AC's 8.34K balances well enough with the SD's 13.68. The BKP Nailbomb is only 15.6k.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Last edited by LaidBack at Sep 27, 2012,
i'd have said the distortion, miracle man, aftermath (i assume, i haven't tried it) and custom were all in the same ballpark, tonewise. they're all doing that brighter, tighter not super-modern (more 80s) high gain type of tone. so if you don't like one you could more or less discount them all.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Maybe have a look into the Dimarzio Breed - the amp clips in my profile are a Breed-equipped mahogany Iceman. It's definitely a lot more "organic" sounding than your typical high-output pickups but not at the expense of clarity and note definition.

It's not the tightest pickup in the world and it's thick, fat and warm sounding so certainly shouldn't give you an issue with shrillness. The way I'd describe the sound when running it into a high gain amp is like being walloped in the guts with a sledgehammer.

For the neck if cleans are your priority then the Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell is the first thing you should be considering IMO.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Offworld92
Is the Black Hawk new? Never heard of it.

yh its, only got released in the last few months. Its pretty aggressive, but a fairly balanced frequency response and quite high output. I have a pair but they're still not installed after my tech's soldering iron broke so i can report back pretty soon as to how it works in an Ltd H-1000
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
EMG 81/85 is the cookie cutter.
If you want real balls though go with something from BKP.
I have BKP Painkiller and Warpig in my RR3 and it just sounds so meaty compared to my EC1000's emg's.
Jackson RR3 - BKP Painkiller/Warpig
Bugera 333XL 212
Pod Studio UX1
MXR Smart Gate
Hardwire CM-2
Quote by steven seagull
Maybe have a look into the Dimarzio Breed - the amp clips in my profile are a Breed-equipped mahogany Iceman. It's definitely a lot more "organic" sounding than your typical high-output pickups but not at the expense of clarity and note definition.

I feel like you've recommended the Breed to me for completely different needs (when I wanted pups for Manson/NIN).

Quote by shredftw
yh its, only got released in the last few months. Its pretty aggressive, but a fairly balanced frequency response and quite high output. I have a pair but they're still not installed after my tech's soldering iron broke so i can report back pretty soon as to how it works in an Ltd H-1000

Cool, definitely looking forward to it. Any other experience you have would be great since our guitars are basically the same.

I can't believe or agree with $345 for a set of BKPs. That's more than I paid for the guitar in the first place.

Found a couple Invaders on eBay to watch. Can't find any trembucker sized Distortions for cheap though. I know the string spacing shouldn't make a difference, but... eh. Kind of annoying that it's F spaced anyway, since it has a TOM. Don't get the logic there.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
bare knuckles. high output sheptones.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Offworld92
Cool, definitely looking forward to it. Any other experience you have would be great since our guitars are basically the same.

I can't believe or agree with $345 for a set of BKPs. That's more than I paid for the guitar in the first place.

Found a couple Invaders on eBay to watch. Can't find any trembucker sized Distortions for cheap though. I know the string spacing shouldn't make a difference, but... eh. Kind of annoying that it's F spaced anyway, since it has a TOM. Don't get the logic there.

Yh if they're gonna be more than the guitars price you paid for then don't bother with BKPs, they're great an all but if you're spending that much you might as well buy a new guitar

I had the fortune of playing my mate's guitar that has an Invader in the bridge (its just a single pickup guitar) and was really surprised. It is supposed to be really muddy, but through a Randall RH150 even with the bass fairly high it cut really really well, but still had a load of chunk to it. Would definitely recommend it for the bridge, possibly a Jazz in the neck.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
I've always had the impression that Dimarzio Super Distortions were loose.

I've also only heard them once or twice so impression is kinda unreliable.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Offworld92
I feel like you've recommended the Breed to me for completely different needs (when I wanted pups for Manson/NIN).

Quite possibly, but I can only go off what you've said in your posts and based on what you've said they're worh a look - it's not always easy to convey a sound through words though, and even harder to convey an element of a sound that's totally dependent on other variables :p

Based on what you've said your requirements are though I think the Breed might do what you're looking for - not too tight, uncompressed sounding,powerful, bassy, lots of weight to the tone and good harmonics. It's also a fair bit removed from those pickups you've already dismissed, it's certainly not similar to the likes of the Duncan Distortion or the Miracle Man. The Humbucker from Hell in the neck is nailed on though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was lucky enough to get a second hand set of BKP warpigs for my ltd fx400, cost me a total of £60 with trade in of the stock 60/81 EMGs and I would never look back on it, best thing ive done, if you can manage to find a second hand set i would jump on it, the sound comparison between the old emgs (with the 18v mod) and the bare knuckle pick up set is unbelievable. Amazing note clarity and a ton of bass response.

I would personnaly describe the sound of them like being punched, really hard in the face... Brutal
I would certainly pursue a used set... problem is finding a used set.

@steven seagull Thank you, I will definitely check out the Breed and the HfH.

@kyle62 I don't see any feasible way to get Irongears in the US.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=j-kKEg45hpU

BG hellarails i know i posted that farther up, but watch it, thats what i will be putting in my LP
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Sep 29, 2012,
Quote by steven seagull
Quite possibly, but I can only go off what you've said in your posts and based on what you've said they're worh a look - it's not always easy to convey a sound through words though, and even harder to convey an element of a sound that's totally dependent on other variables :p

Based on what you've said your requirements are though I think the Breed might do what you're looking for - not too tight, uncompressed sounding,powerful, bassy, lots of weight to the tone and good harmonics. It's also a fair bit removed from those pickups you've already dismissed, it's certainly not similar to the likes of the Duncan Distortion or the Miracle Man. The Humbucker from Hell in the neck is nailed on though.

Love the Breed with Basswood bodies.
I'd say Tone Zone/Humbucker From Hell combo.

The Tone Zone has massive bass response and crazy harmonics, the Humbucker from Hell in the neck on the other hand has almost singlecoil-ish clarity, great for cleans, works great with craploads of gain as well, it always stays clear as well.

Also that's the only combo I can think of where the bridge PU would sound more saturated than the neck PU as you want.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Can anyone point me to any good videos of the Humbucker from Hell? All the ones I've seen so far have been dirty cleans. Looking for pristine cleans.

Hopefully gonna score an Invader soon, unless eBayers decide to suck.

I don't think the Tone Zone is for me, but I can't really say for absolute sure, since there are really no videos of anyone using it in the way I would be using it.

Not really digging the Hellarails. Pricey, and the videos I've seen don't do a lot for me. But I will search out more clips regardless.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X