Page 1 of 2
whoomit
375 IQ
Here's a couple, going to be very similar to my 100GBP budget build. These will however be for sale, including the same Wilkinson bridge, pickups, and tuners as used on my 100GBP build. Bone nuts will be included (although aluminium or brass can be made if preferred). The pickguards on these will not be leather this time, they'll be made of some laminated veneer that I'll put together. Price will be in the region of £450-550. One Tele will have a 3-piece neck, and the other a 5-piece. The 5-piece will be the slightly more expensive of the two.

Anyway, I'm going for a teal & chocolate brown combo here. I like it, hopefully you will too

I know it seems like I've got a lot going on at the moment, but that's because I'm trying to make space in the workshop. Can't wait to have some cupboard space!

Firstly, a couple of lunch pics:

Those are both bacon, cheese, mayo and tomato ketchup sandwiches. And yes, that IS a strawberry cupcake

Nack blanks, ready for gluing once my veneer arrives:

A side view of the timber to give you a better idea of the colour:

Again I'm using the mystery wood that was used in the last Tele build, but this time I've swapped the maple for mahogany. The maple was slightly woodwormy if you remember. You'll be glad to know that it's still all reclaimed timber though

Here are the two body blanks all glued up:

ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
150 IQ
How are the Wilkinson pickups?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by ProphetToJables
How are the Wilkinson pickups?

I really really like them. I'm using a Big Muff clone now with them. It never sounded any good with any of my other pickups, but I really like it with these. I'm not one to review pickups or anything though, 'cause I don't think I have enough experience with different ones

Coach bolts removed:

Tops being flattened:

One of them still has quite a bit to go, as there was a fair curve on the stair tread which I couldn't seem to make up for by planing the edges at an angle.

Haven't been in the workshop for a good few days, it's been my birthday weekend Hopefully get back out after work today though, providing I'm not back too late.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the important update:
Last edited by whoomit at Oct 2, 2012,
Spaztikko
80 IQ
I think eventually you should just have a build thread for your lunches.

Who cares about guitars anyway, I want to see what other people are eating!
H4T3BR33D3R
Hater by Trade EST. 1990s
350 IQ
Cool idea Whoomit. Can't wait to see this one finished.

Also +1 for lunch build thread.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by guitar-tin
You should also explain a little about the food in addition...

Good point. It was a chicken fricassee, a small cup of (extremely strong) tea, and a can of cheap energy juice. The fricassee may make another appearance within the next week.

Levelled the back of one Tele and found a nasty hole in the ply:

Started routing them both, you can see there's a step where I can't plunge any further:
whoomit
375 IQ
Sanded the other body down to the 2nd ply, looks much better than the other one:

Finished the shape-routing, and both had a little spin on the bobbin sander:

Quote by Telecaster7
What will you do about the chip out of the ply? Insane belly carve?

To be honest, I hadn't even put any thought into it. That's a very viable option though, I'll probably do that.
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by WantsLesPaul
wryt slyer on it

gos witowt sayn

Pre-drilled for tomorrow's routing:
GABarrie
Call me Gordon
90 IQ
whoomit! message me! i'm in the market for a new tele and am pricing various things up
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
whoomit
375 IQ
Of course. the chicken fricassee makes another appearance:

Couldn't finish it though because I have such a sore throat

Routing finished:

Just a rough sketch of the inevitable 'Slayer' inlay:
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by WantsLesPaul
umg :eadbang :hedbang:

:ehadbang:

The pinstriping channels are almost done:
The second one will just have two strips running down the side of the central teak strip. The glue joins were just done far too well I'm afraid
FrozenNile
70 IQ
This thread is most surely going to be stalked thoroughly. Can I ask you a question Whoomit? Where do you get your inlay materials?
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by FrozenNile
This thread is most surely going to be stalked thoroughly. Can I ask you a question Whoomit? Where do you get your inlay materials?

If you mean the fret dots that I used on the last Tele then they were from eBay. Don't think I've bought any other inlay material to be honest with you. When the time comes to buy some it will probably be eBay as well, or some marquetry website.
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
270 IQ
Good place for inlay material: http://www.rescuepearl.com/

The woman that runs that store is really nice and reliable, and her pearl is pretty awesome, especially for what you pay. I've gone through her and I know many others who buy from her all of the time, and nobody has any complaints.
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
Good place for inlay material: http://www.rescuepearl.com/

The woman that runs that store is really nice and reliable, and her pearl is pretty awesome, especially for what you pay. I've gone through her and I know many others who buy from her all of the time, and nobody has any complaints.

That looks fantastic, especially since I'm going down the reclaimed timber route. Thanks man
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
I spy a delicious liquid hiding in the corner.

I had it in my coffee one day.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Build me a Jag. I'll pay in lunches.

I want money!
Quote by guitar-tin
dark and white chocolate!

Well the veneer that I've been waiting on arrived today. Unfortunately it arrived right as I was leaving for work... I should get the necks glued up tomorrow though
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
Good show old chap. It's also good to see that it lives in a workshop, which is reassuring

Well I actually took it out there to gargle. I've got a sore throat

Pinstriping channels done:

The only thing I've got to decide now is what do I do with this?

You can see that there's two cracks stemming from the top pinstripe on this body. I don't know whether I should:
a) Leave it like that
b) Finish the pinstripe and leave the cracks
c) Finish the pinstripe and try to hide the cracks.

I was thinking a), but what does everyone else think?
H4T3BR33D3R
Hater by Trade EST. 1990s
350 IQ
Looking sweet!

You should do a monkey grip
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn
20 IQ
You could possibly carve a forearm cut/curve to hide that crack in the last picture.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Last edited by Don't Panic Ok? at Oct 9, 2012,
whoomit
375 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
I have a sore throat too! But I don't have whiskey.

And I suggest you just do insane belly carves all over the damn place.

I do, but I haven't remembered to gargle it a single time!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You should do a monkey grip

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
You could possibly carve a forearm cut/curve to hide that crack in the last picture.

That's a possibility, I don't really want to go through the teak on the front though.
Quote by logicbdj
www.luthiersupply.com has some really nice and very inexpensive inlays as well.

Looks like a great site, but my bank statement came in today

Started gluing up the necks:

I'm doing them in stages. The 3-piece neck is being done in 2 stages, and the 5-piece will be done in 3 or 4 stages. The reason being the quantity of veneers going between the planks. Can't wait to post pictures of the planed neck blanks. Hopefully that'll be tomorrow morning, otherwise it won't be until Monday as I'm going down South!
whoomit
375 IQ
Actually just finished gluing and clamping the 3-piece neck. The 5-piece is now half way there
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn
20 IQ
Quote by whoomit
That's a possibility, I don't really want to go through the teak on the front though.

Most understandable.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Page 1 of 2