So, i've been set on getting a multi fx unit for a while when i realised, i don't actually need all these crazy filter effects and stuff.

So, i'm wondering if it'd be a better idea to get seperate pedals.
I'd like a hendrix, frusciante sound, so obviously the overdrive, compression, fuzz, wah etc for them, but i also like noodling in post rock type stuff, so i'd like to have some delays and other usefull stuff for that.

1. Would I be better off getting a multi fx unit, or seperate pedals?

2. Which pedals/unit would you recommend?

My budget is pretty set in stone around £200
I'm very happy to buy used
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
Here is what I suggest: Get a MFX unit from somebody that has an amazing return policy. Noodle around and play with it until you find the sounds that you would most likely use a lot. Take extra good care of it, then return it. Then, based on that info, buy the pedals you need.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Here is what I suggest: Get a MFX unit from somebody that has an amazing return policy. Noodle around and play with it until you find the sounds that you would most likely use a lot. Take extra good care of it, then return it. Then, based on that info, buy the pedals you need.

you sly fox.
mojostompboxes.com
I'd recommend getting a Boss multi effects unit, probably an ME50 or 70.

The main reason I say that is because it's one of the few multi-fx units that genuinely acts as a selection of separate effects rather than being a unit that provides numerous preset patches made up of a collection of effects.

As all the effects are separate, you get to learn which you really need to create the sound you're looking for, with the patches you get on most other multi effects units you can't always tell which effects you're using.

Granted, there are units other than the Boss ME series that works in that way, but in my experience that's the one which gives the most user-friendly interface as it uses knobs instead of menus, just like individual pedals do.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
post rock guitarists are a lot simpler than you'd think, a lot of them only have a couple delays, a reverb, and a delay/looper. That being said, if you're just noodling its definitely a lot easier on the wallet to get an mfx than spending your entire budget on a dl4 haha.

Are you gonna be gigging? separate pedals are worth it for that. it sucks when your entire set banks on your mfx working and it doesn't
i'm using a fender strat, hoping to get a new amp very soon, possibly a vibro champ xd
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke
and no i will not be gigging
If you're getting a new amp, and you're comfortable with all the cool digital stuff, you might as well look at amps with decent onboard effects.

The FX section of my Line6 Flextone (when combined with the chunky floorboard) is a formidable piece of kit with insane amounts of tweaking available at an equal or higher quality to the average multiFX. I can even hook it up to the computer and edit or download new presets!

And that amp only cost me £80 - some of the newer stuff like the Vypyr Tube is probably even better. Personally I like the Mustang II for the fun computer-amp interface, lots of possiblities.
Well the flextone has better cleans and an effects loop unlike the vyper I recomend used flextone or vetta for the win
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Well the flextone has better cleans and an effects loop unlike the vyper I recomend used flextone or vetta for the win

Aww hell yeah! I saw a Vetta for £350 a few weeks ago, if I had the spare cash I'd have snapped it up in an instant.
sorry if i've confused everyone haha
I've decided i'm going to get seperate pedals because for multi fx to sound good, you have to spend quite abit.
so i'm going to get a distortion, wah, fuzz, chorus and univibe.

I've heard modelling amps aren't too pedal friendly, is this true?
Quote by Caaarrl94
I've decided i'm going to get seperate pedals because for multi fx to sound good, you have to spend quite abit.

Not true. I believe the Zoom G3 can be had for $170. With the latest firmware it acts as 6 pedals. And it sounds very good. Plus you can add separate pedals. I have a pedalboard that uses the G3 in combination with other pedals.
Quote by Caaarrl94

To get a good wah alone is going to cost you £60/$80+, and decent univibe sims are very hard to find.

I definitely think a good multiFX would suit you nicely.

Here's the pedals I'd pick on a budget:

Distortion: Cool Cat Drive
Fuzz: Joyo Voodoo Octave Fuzz
Univibe: Danelectro Chicken Salad
Wah: Ibanez Weeping Demon / Morley Power Wah
Chorus: EH Small Clone
Quote by Caaarrl94
It's fairly accurate. They probably aren't completely unusable, but as modelling amps don't have effect loops (AFAIK - I haven't tried all of them) any pedals you use have to go between the guitar and the amp.

That means any effect you add will then be re-processed by the amp's modelling system which will usually reduce the quality of the effect and sometimes override it completely.

Quote by Caaarrl94
The believe that you have to spend a lot to get good multi-fx is completely untrue (and also extremely subjective - to one person £100 may be a lot of money, others could spend £1000 without thinking twice).

There are lots of decent multi-fx units out there for a relatively small budget, certainly less than you'd spend on a few good quality individual pedals.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 29, 2012,
Well I had been looking at the BOSS ME-70 because its one of the cheapest multi fx units that act as a small pedalboard rather than having to assign effects, and not be able to change them half way through a song - plus it looks great value.

All very nice. BUT HERES THE THING. that costs around £250.

If i go down the seperate pedals route, choosing only the effects i'd use most often (ie, no crazy filters and modulations)

This is what i've set my sights on.
Boss DS-2, Little Big Muff, Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe, Cry Baby Wah, Boss CE-5.

If looked around at how much things are going for used, and i think i could get all of those effect pedals for £180, which in my eyes is a winwin. (because the multi fx wah is most likely rubbish)
Last edited by Caaarrl94 at Sep 29, 2012,
If you're happy to go used, ME70s regularly sell on eBay for under £150. Also look at the ME50 that preceeded it. It's an excellent piece of kit, mine served me well for several years before I decided to switch to separate pedals.

If you've decided to go with separate pedals as well though, the choices you have made look good. You might have less options than you'd have with a multi-fx, but as a rule the quality of the effects is uncompromised with separates.

Also, as you've got both a distortion & a fuzz listed, if you need to switch between them regularly the ME series wouldn't work for you anyway. It's only weakness is that to change from one distortion to another, or from chorus to tremelo or other similar changes, you have to bend down & turn the relevant knob. Separate pedals don't have that weakness.

Something you may want to add to your shopping list though, is a reverb pedal. It's used a lot more than you may think it is, especially when playing clean tones.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah i looked at the ME-50, and thats what i hate about multi fx, The effects are in categories, which would mean every time i need fuzz i'd have to turn the nob, loosing my distortion. not good.
and i'm trying to find a decent amp with a reverb to save me having to buy a seperate pedal.
unless you know of any decent cheap reverb pedals
"decent" and "cheap" are both subjective terms, could mean anything to anyone.

Marshall does one that looks good for the price, it's called something like "reverberator", can't think of it's exact name off the top of my head but it has a few different reverbs built in and it goes for about £30ish used on eBay. Never used it, but I have the Jackhammer & the Vibratrem from the same range & they're pretty solid for lower price effects.

EHX's Holy Grail is also good, but a little more expensive.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you're just jamming at home a zoom G3 would be perfect for you. It has a good fuzz in it, guide tracks, a looper and it's user friendly. And they're cheap
thanks for the advice EHX do some really cool stuff.
Quote by lucky1978
If you're just jamming at home a zoom G3 would be perfect for you. It has a good fuzz in it, guide tracks, a looper and it's user friendly. And they're cheap

Since i've found out the Zoom G3 can act as 6 seperate pedals, it's looking favourite for sure.