inkybutt
amp feedback lover
397 IQ
I did this for fun and because I I had nothing to do so Don't expect my best work or anything. I Love the new order. love joy division more, but I suppose that doesn't really matter. I dont exactly play the song the same way, I suppose the chord structure is the same, buts its sped up a bit and there isnt long instrumental passages like the original. Anyway this is kinda a bit of a departure from my usual sound. I usually don't use electronic drum loops or the heavy fuzzy disco bass sound. I guess I was just experimenting out of boredom. Anyway.... tell me how does it feel?

http://faiyazandthewastedchances.bandcamp.com/track/blue-monday-new-order-cover
Last edited by inkybutt at Sep 28, 2012,
aaron aardvark
4,896 IQ
inkybutt,
Thank you for the reviews! Now your cover tune. New Order is one of my favorite (predominantly) synth bands & I think "Blue Monday" is their best song. It's not easy to compete with the original, because some of the original synths sound so good to me (though recently I read they sampled some human chorus pad sound from a Kraftwerk song which surprised me). Anyway, this is what I think of your cover version: I think it sounds better the second time I heard it (though it only played for 20 seconds the second time it played, you might check that). If I didn't know better I'd say you recorded a real drum set in your garage. This recording has a live recording vibe to it, which is fairly interesting. Overall it sounds pretty good for a cover version, though after hearing the original for what, over 25 years?, the original is tough to beat (that's the main reason I don't record covers anymore, they're never half as good as the original when I record them). The vocals are not far removed from actual New Order vocals (especially if live), so that's a compliment. The synths & guitar sound fairly good if recorded live, though somewhat lo-fi if a purely studio recording. Your actual playing is good.