pinguinpanic
961 IQ
Hey there MT! I decided to write an article on songwriting but before posting it I'd like some feedbacks from you guys. Would be great if you guys found some spelling/grammer mistakes and I would very much appreciate some feedback on how usefull/readable this article is.

Here's the article:
Forced Songwriting

Disclaimer: The information in this article might be obvious to some people.

I've been a member of UG for quite some time and have been reading a lot of articles here. Something I noticed recently when reading through the comments on all of those articles is that a lot of you are clueless on how to start writing songs and how to advance your song writing. I have my own method of advancing my songwriting "skills" which has worked great for me for the last 7 years. Looking back I've actually not even once had to change my method to advance. Therefore I thought it'd be nice of me to share this method with you guys!

As you've probably seen in the title it's called "Forced songwriting". That's how I dubbed it because it seemed to describe most what I'm trying to communicate. So what is it about? Before I´ll tell you that I´ll first tell you about "Spontaneous Songwriting. "Spontaneous Songwriting" is the kind of songwriting that we all can do. It's when you're doodling arround on the guitar or doing whatever and suddenly you bring forth a great musical idea. Problem with this however is that you have no control over how often this happens and you also have no control over the quality of the idea that comes out. Although this method creates the most "sincere"/"real" music it's very very impractical to rely solely on this method. You might be waiting 2 months for another song idea. Spontaneous songwriting also is a very slow way to advance your songwriting skills since it leaves a lot of days "unwritten". You can only write songs and thus advance your songwriting skills when you are magically enlightened by a power above.

This is where Forced writing comes in. Instead of waiting for that magic moment happening causing your brain to suddenly become rampant with musical ideas you force it. You take matters in own hands and tell your brain "GET THAT MOJO GOING, WE'RE GOING TO WRITE SOME SONGS". You shouldn't forget about Spontaneous writing though! Forced and Spontaneous writing have a great synergy together! Now forced writing is really simple. You just sit down and write a song every day. Now you might say to me "But I can't; everything I write is crap". And while you're sitting in the corner sobbing because you think you write crap I have more discouraging news:You'll probably write crap if you force yourself to write a song without being inspired. However when you started playing guitar you probably sucked donkey balls too, didn't you? But still you kept with it and got better with it. Forced writing is the same. Your ideas might be butt-ugly but you just stick with them. This might be a frustrating process since you're producing crap but I promise you will get better. You might get better very slow but the strength of this method is that you will get better consistently instead of sporadically like you would with spontaneous writing.

You might not be convinced yet that this is a good way to go about writing songs so let me tell you why this is such a great way to write songs/learn writing songs. Imagine you become good at this. You sit down with your guitar every day and you start writing a song and something good comes out. Now you have the power to create a good song everyday! Forced writing also has a lot of benefit for spontaneous writing. Normally you might struggle getting the ideas from your head to your guitar but since you have trained that everyday it will become a breeze. You might also have this amazing song that only misses a verse. Since you can write one song everyday you're bound to be able to find the verse for that song in a week max.

Last remark: almost all songwriters suffer fromthe songwriting syndrome. It's a brain condition that makes everything they produce themselves sound like crap. You might have written the best song ever but your brain will still probably tell you "That's bad you'll never get good at this". Because of that it is important to share your stuff! Show it to someone with a similar musical taste or just post it on the UG forum for all of the member to listen to. This way you can fight back the diseases and will become more accurate at deciding how good your songs are.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Oct 2, 2012,
skilly1
2,031 IQ
Thanks dude, this article makes total sense, cheers

I spotted a few minor mistakes, but it's good enough to go up
shwilly
Strictly conventional
1,776 IQ
Only found these 2

"But I can't; everything I is write crap"

Last remark: almost all songwriters suffer from the songwriting syndrome.

Good idea to have it checked before submitting it -> no matter how well written an article might be, people tend to not take it very seriously if it's full of errors. You did fine

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
3,139 IQ
I managed to find several mistakes. Everything from missing punctuation, run-on sentences and others - too many to mention. Thanks for requesting our assistance, but you just have too many errors for me to correct.
pinguinpanic
961 IQ
Edited the opening post with the fixed spelling mistakes. Thanks for pointing out the errors! If you could just point me a couple more I can release it on UG. There's just some stuff I don't see because I"m not native English. And the fact that I've read through it too many time.

Also how usefull do you guys think it is? Is it worthy enough to be put on UG?
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4